-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Tivio....?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 sx4dude2013

sx4dude2013

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 03:16 PM

So Im looking into options of adding a DVR setup to my ever expanding HT setup. Ive heard of Tivio but dont know too much about it. I currently have OLD SCHOOL basic cable. The one that comes directly from the wall and includes around 60 channels. This cable is fine for me and I enjoy it. I live in a college complex (not an apartment, but a neighborhood). Our rent includes cable and internet. I dont want to upgrade our cable and it effect everyone's bill. I know Tivio is $15 a month plus the device. 1) It says I need a cable card from my service provider. What exactly is this and do you think my provider will bill me for this? (Northland Cable) 2) Can I just plug my standard cable from the wall into the box, then HDMI output into my receiver? I got a new shift at work and miss some of the shows i like. Plus I want the ability to get my cable via HDMI :) Thoughts!! Thanks! :)

#2 of 9 sx4dude2013

sx4dude2013

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted January 09 2013 - 04:32 AM

NVM! I called my cable company and it would end up costing me an extra $50 a month!

#3 of 9 Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted January 10 2013 - 04:19 AM

How much does your cable co. want for their own dvr?
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#4 of 9 sx4dude2013

sx4dude2013

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted January 10 2013 - 04:36 AM

How much does your cable co. want for their own dvr?

They lease the box for $13.99 a month. Then they lease the card for $3.99 a month. I need Tivo service which is $14.99 a month. THEN the cable comapny said I need to upgrade my internet to a higher package for an extra $27.99 a month...HELL no! haha There own cable box DVR doesnt exist :( They only use Tivo :(

#5 of 9 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,252 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted January 10 2013 - 05:18 AM

They lease the box for $13.99 a month. Then they lease the card for $3.99 a month. I need Tivo service which is $14.99 a month. THEN the cable comapny said I need to upgrade my internet to a higher package for an extra $27.99 a month...HELL no! haha There own cable box DVR doesnt exist :( They only use Tivo :(

Directv...

#6 of 9 Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,109 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted January 10 2013 - 10:25 AM

1. A cable card is just a cable box on a simple card. They standardized the technology so that 3rd party companies could provide cable boxes (or DVRs) without running into proprietary scrambling issues. 2. I normally don't send people to other forums but TiVo Community is a great resource. I'm still a member there but don't stop by much since my last TiVo died and now I only have DirecTV DVRs.

I got a new shift at work and miss some of the shows i like. Plus I want the ability to get my cable via HDMI

If you already get HD via coaxial cable into your TV, it will look exactly the same using a TiVo, cable box or any other decoder and HDMI. But time shifting is great. I've been telling everyone about the benefits of a DVR since 1999. I even record sports. I finished the Arkansas vs. Texas A&M basketball game this morning while I ran on the treadmill. Fast forwarding though all of the commercials and halftime saved me about 40 minutes of time.

#7 of 9 sx4dude2013

sx4dude2013

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted January 11 2013 - 09:29 AM

Directv...

I would but my current rent includes cable.....

#8 of 9 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,460 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted January 11 2013 - 09:46 AM

The only thing you should have to get from your cable company is the cable card for $3.99 a month...you don't need a cable box in addition, the cable card handles all the channels you receive. So there's that, plus the $14.99 a month for the TiVo subscription. Internet speed has nothing to do with cable cards, you don't need to change your internet package to get a cable card. I used to have TiVo, and it is the best DVR around, but after my last TiVo box died I just went with the FiOS DVR.

#9 of 9 sx4dude2013

sx4dude2013

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted January 11 2013 - 09:52 AM

The only thing you should have to get from your cable company is the cable card for $3.99 a month...you don't need a cable box in addition, the cable card handles all the channels you receive. So there's that, plus the $14.99 a month for the TiVo subscription. Internet speed has nothing to do with cable cards, you don't need to change your internet package to get a cable card. I used to have TiVo, and it is the best DVR around, but after my last TiVo box died I just went with the FiOS DVR.

The cable company wont let me get the card without an upgrade :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users