What's new

Justified - Season 4 (FX) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I didn't see a thread from joshEH, so I thought I'd start one. Season four of Graham Yost's six-season meditation on Elmore Leonard lawman Raylan Givens premieres tonight on FX:
“Hole in the Wall”: While running down a vicious fugitive, Raylan finds evidence his family is at the center of a legendary unsolved mystery.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Thanks, man. Was totally meaning to, but was down with the flu recently, and it sorta kept me from doing it. You read my mind. ;) Tonight's episode was totally on fire. Hilarious and engaging. Loved Cruise, but got an awesome "Jack Reacher" vibe off of Eldard. Too many great lines in this one (many of them uttered by Patton Oswalt):
[*] "When this shit goes Road Warrior, I'm ready."
[*]"Ain't gonna cover that up with the smell of bakin' cookies."
[*]"I got shit in the car I don't wanna be crushed."
[*]"Crusherman, Crusherman, stop the thing!!"
[*]stabstabstabstabstab "...Beef stew."
[*]"Never too early for a Dr. Pepper."
[*]"You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. You run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."
[*]Not a line per se, but how awesome is the Bobmobile?
[/list] And, of course, Constable Bob's line about "Federal choppers." (Also: Boyd Crowder being a major Isaac Asimov-devotee. Seriously did not see that one coming. Fucking love this show.)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Almost forgot to also pay tribute to Raylan's dad Arlo, here. Arlo just don't a give shit now, does he? He knows he's dying in prison, so it's, like, why not stab this bitch? He's got no reason not to. I liked that they practically set up the guy in prison to be a legitimate recurring character. They gave him a couple beats, and he has enough of a look to where he seems like the kind of guy they'd bring back in future episodes. It totally helped take me by surprise when Arlo shanked him. I guess this time Arlo didn't need to "use his words."

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
Thanks, man. Was totally meaning to, but was down with the flu recently, and it sorta kept me from doing it. You read my mind. ;)
No problem! I was sick yesterday myself. Just didn't want anybody to miss out on the new season. When the episode opened in 1983 with a spousal argument being disrupted by a dead body parachuting down from the sky covered in bags of coke, I knew we were in for a good season premiere. Already, the fourth season seems to have more of a narrative drive than the rather meandering third season. Having a cold case mystery as the backbone of the season rather than another Big Bad was a smart move, I think.
Too many great lines in this one (many of them uttered by Patton Oswalt)
Constable Bob was a great addition to the cast. Oswalt did a great job walking the tightrope between punchline and bad ass. Yes, he's a joke to someone like Raylan, but he's also pretty competent at what he does and he wasn't afraid to act when guns are being pointed by everybody around him.
(Also: Boyd Crowder being a major Isaac Asimov-devotee. Seriously did not see that one coming. Fucking love this show.)
One of my very favorite things is Boyd's disdain when he has to dumb himself down for other people. I also like that he's essentially up against himself circa-Season 1.
joshEH said:
Almost forgot to also pay tribute to Raylan's dad Arlo, here. Arlo just don't a give shit now, does he? He knows he's dying in prison, so it's, like, why not stab this bitch? He's got no reason not to. I liked that they practically set up the guy in prison to be a legitimate recurring character. They gave him a couple beats, and he has enough of a look to where he seems like the kind of guy they'd bring back in future episodes. It totally helped take me by surprise when Arlo shanked him. I guess this time Arlo didn't need to "use his words."
Obviously, Arlo killed him to keep that diplomatic bag that was in his wall under wraps. Which begs the question: What's so important that Arlo feels the need to kill anybody who finds out about it? I'm guessing that it has something to do with Raylan's mother. Arlo may not be loyal to Raylan, but you can bet he's still loyal to Frances. They took Natalie Zea out of the credits sequence this season. I guess they got tired of paying her series regular money for only a few episodes a season. I believe Winona will first show up in episode 5 of the current season.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Sweet, after last seasons ending I couldn't wait for this, have it on the DVR and will be watching it later this week!!!!!

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Thanks for the reminder, as I nearly forgotten about the season premiere. Before that, I was just thinking of Tim Olyphant as the sushi chef on an episode of The League, which was funny.
Originally Posted by joshEH
I liked that they practically set up the guy in prison to be a legitimate recurring character. They gave him a couple beats, and he has enough of a look to where he seems like the kind of guy they'd bring back in future episodes. It totally helped take me by surprise when Arlo shanked him.
I was thinking the same thing, though it did seem eerily too quiet and too long when the guy faced away from an open jail cell with an inmate in it. Still, I was not prepared for what happened next.
Also, Constable Bob getting kicked in the balls and stabbing the girl's foot instead of the other guy's, was just too funny.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I loved that Constable Bob wasn't just an idiot. He knew Raylan played him and called him on it. Good for you, Bob. BEEF STEW!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt
No problem! I was sick yesterday myself. Just didn't want anybody to miss out on the new season.
When the episode opened in 1983 with a spousal argument being disrupted by a dead body parachuting down from the sky covered in bags of coke, I knew we were in for a good season premiere. Already, the fourth season seems to have more of a narrative drive than the rather meandering third season. Having a cold case mystery as the backbone of the season rather than another Big Bad was a smart move, I think.
Constable Bob was a great addition to the cast. Oswalt did a great job walking the tightrope between punchline and bad ass. Yes, he's a joke to someone like Raylan, but he's also pretty competent at what he does and he wasn't afraid to act when guns are being pointed by everybody around him.
One of my very favorite things is Boyd's disdain when he has to dumb himself down for other people. I also like that he's essentially up against himself circa-Season 1.
Obviously, Arlo killed him to keep that diplomatic bag that was in his wall under wraps. Which begs the question: What's so important that Arlo feels the need to kill anybody who finds out about it? I'm guessing that it has something to do with Raylan's mother. Arlo may not be loyal to Raylan, but you can bet he's still loyal to Frances.
They took Natalie Zea out of the credits sequence this season. I guess they got tired of paying her series regular money for only a few episodes a season. I believe Winona will first show up in episode 5 of the current season.
I believe she's part of Kevin Bacon's series cast.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
I believe she's part of Kevin Bacon's series cast.
She is. When she joined "Justified", she was signed to a two-season deal. After the second season, she made it clear she wasn't interesting continuing on the show. This put the writers in sort of a bind, since she's the love of Raylan's life. So they got the executive producer she got along best with to come back with a counter offer and say, what if you do a few episodes a season? And she was on board. Here's how Zea herself put it. “I said that I would gladly do it in a truncated capacity, so that I could be available for other things ... so it worked out really well for all of us,” I believe under her current contract with the show, they're guaranteed three episodes a season, with more possible if Zea's schedule permits and the story calls for it. In Season 3, I think she was in 7 of the 13 episodes. According to Graham Yost, this season she's going to be either 3 or 4 episodes. They had a similar contract with Kaitlyn Dever for Season 3 after she joined the cast of "Last Man Standing". Contractually, they had her for three episodes, but they only ended up needing her for two to resolve Loretta's story.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
joshEH said:
Thanks, man. Was totally meaning to, but was down with the flu recently, and it sorta kept me from doing it. You read my mind. ;) Tonight's episode was totally on fire. Hilarious and engaging. Loved Cruise, but got an awesome "Jack Reacher" vibe off of Eldard. Too many great lines in this one (many of them uttered by Patton Oswalt):
[*] "When this shit goes Road Warrior, I'm ready."
[*]"Ain't gonna cover that up with the smell of bakin' cookies."
[*]"I got shit in the car I don't wanna be crushed."
[*]"Crusherman, Crusherman, stop the thing!!"
[*]stabstabstabstabstab "...Beef stew."
[*]"Never too early for a Dr. Pepper."
[*]"You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. You run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."
[*]Not a line per se, but how awesome is the Bobmobile?
[/list] And, of course, Constable Bob's line about "Federal choppers." (Also: Boyd Crowder being a major Isaac Asimov-devotee. Seriously did not see that one coming. Fucking love this show.)
Good quotes, but you missed my favorite line from Constable Bob: "He did it wrong."

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Adam Lenhardt said:
Having a cold case mystery as the backbone of the season rather than another Big Bad was a smart move, I think.
Surely the Big Bad is the Snake-man - and that rivalry with Boyd is going to form the backbone of the season? As for the cold case mystery: I presume Raylan's mum (step-mum?) kept hold of those drugs that fortuitously fell from the sky, and whoever they belonged to went looking and is probably still looking. ...Or maybe I'm completely off-base! ;) Regardless, looking forward to finding out! :)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Originally Posted by PhilipG
Surely the Big Bad is the Snake-man - and that rivalry with Boyd is going to form the backbone of the season? As for the cold case mystery: I presume Raylan's mum (step-mum?) kept hold of those drugs that fortuitously fell from the sky, and whoever they belonged to went looking and is probably still looking.
...Or maybe I'm completely off-base!
Not a super-spoiler, but using the tags just in case:
In a recent interview, Graham Yost and Fred Golan indicated that:
They were not planning on having a season-spanning "Big Bad" this year.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Uh-oh, now I've read that spoiler and gone searching for the interview! http://www.vulture.com/2013/01/justified-boss-graham-yost-sets-up-season-four.html ^^ Contains other spoilers, including one which put a big smile on my face (to do with the fate of an old character):
Quarles didn't bleed out! I was shot down on the season 3 thread for assuming he'd survived, even with that injury. Funny thing is, I'm sure one of the showrunners confirmed he was dead at the time. In any case, I'm really glad he might be back sometime down the line. The more great characters Raylan sends to prison, the better the odds for a mass breakout of villains! :D

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Did it really take until Season 4 for Beth Grant to appear as a guest on this show? H...HOW?? Man, that is the fastest 60 minutes on TV -- twists and turns, and then BAM!, it's over, and now I have to wait another week. Absolutely love the Raylan/Art/Tim-banter (I'd watch an entire hour of those guys just BS'ing in a car). (Also, Wynn Duffy's clean-shaven face was oddly disturbing.) Great episode. The reveal of the husband at the end had me rolling. And if this whole "acting" thing doesn't work out for him, Walton Goggins could always make it as a preacher.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
joshEH said:
Did it really take until Season 4 for Beth Grant to appear as a guest on this show? H...HOW?? Man, that is the fastest 60 minutes on TV -- twists and turns, and then BAM!, it's over, and now I have to wait another week. Absolutely love the Raylan/Art/Tim-banter (I'd watch an entire hour of those guys just BS'ing in a car). (Also, Wynn Duffy's clean-shaven face was oddly disturbing.) Great episode. The reveal of the husband at the end had me rolAnd if this whole "acting" thing doesn't work out for him, Walton Goggins could always make it as a preachereacher.
I love Boyd, almost as much as Raylen. It never ceases to amaze me how they have made Boyd a rich 3d character, with intelligence, eloquence, and soul, instead of the one dimensional, cardboard, caricature-of-a-bad guy that SOOOOOOOO many other tv shows give to villians. When Justified someday runs its' course, I would definitely watch a Boyd-centric spinoff, if offered.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
Did it really take until Season 4 for Beth Grant to appear as a guest on this show? H...HOW??
I was thinking the same thing. In a family that sets a new low bar for degenerates on this show, she was the only one that had any sense -- probably because she had none of Waldo Truth's DNA in her. I did love that none of Raylan's intimidating badassery had any effect on the rest of the Truth clan because they were all perfectly prepared to die since they'd already lived longer than they'd expected to given their lifestyle.
Absolutely love the Raylan/Art/Tim-banter (I'd watch an entire hour of those guys just BS'ing in a car).
It wasn't until this episode that I put two and two together and realized that Tim was played by the guy who played Cooper in EuroTrip. Jacob Pitts does smart ass so well.
Great episode. The reveal of the husband at the end had me rolling.
I'm very interested to see where his character goes. He has a lot of Raylan-like qualities, in that he doesn't seek out violent confrontations, but he doesn't do a lot to avoid them, either. It was to Raylan's credit that he was the one character who had words with him and managed to defuse the situation before it came to blows.
Richard V said:
I love Boyd, almost as much as Raylen. It never ceases to amaze me how they have made Boyd a rich 3d character, with intelligence, eloquence, and soul, instead of the one dimensional, cardboard, caricature-of-a-bad guy that SOOOOOOOO many other tv shows give to villians. When Justified someday runs its' course, I would definitely watch a Boyd-centric spinoff, if offered.
There are so many characters on this show that I'd watch a spin-off of. Boyd, Johnny, Loretta, Mags (if they hadn't killed her off), Limehouse, Dewey Crowe, Karen Sisco/Goodall... the list goes on and on. What was the deal with the guy gunning for Art's job? Do the marshals have a mandatory retirement age or something?

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
"He's stealing your bit!" How great is it to have Beth Grant AND Jim Beaver in the same episode? Boyd vs. Billy on scripture. Epic. I really REALLY like Billy's sister in "Hatfields & McCoys", so I'm interested to see what they do with her here. Since everything seems to be tied together this season, I'm wondering how/if the husband will turn out to be tied to the 'bag' mystery? I don't think Art HAS to retire...but, he's probably putting out feelers. Wouldn't you after dealing with Raylan for as long as he has?

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
That scene with the "Thruth's" was one of my favorites in the show's run. So were we to supposed to have already known that the guy in the opening scene of the season was Art? I had no idea. "On a scale of one to a shit-load..."

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
From Jim Beaver's Twitter feed:
Three DEADWOOD alums and Patton Oswalt in a hellacious gunfight today on the JUSTIFIED set. Whoopi-ti-ay-aay!
...That's what I'm talkin' about. (Now I'm trying to imagine how Jim Beaver would say "Whoopi-ti-ay-aay!") But I just know they're gonna get us hooked on Constable Bob and then shoot the living shit out of him.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks