What's new

IOS 6 and Texting (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
When I saw that ios 6 had texting, I thought I could text to a phone with my ipad. when I talked to a Apple tech (at an apple store) he said no. Since the iPad doesn't have a phone number, it won't know about my iPhone. Now I'm discovering this is not true. I texted my wife iphone and the entire lifetime of the text thread to her showed up on my ipad 2. I replied to her from my iPad 2 and it shows up on my iPhone. Cool. My vet texted my iphone and it showed up on my iphone and my iPad. I replied to him with my ipad and it showed up on my iPhone. But this apparently only works for iOS devices. I've got a bunch of other text threads that don't show up on my iPad, presumably because they aren't ios devices. This is at least partly not dependent on the icloud. My wife on not on the icloud, yet she shows up on my iPad. My vet is obviously not on my iCloud but he shows up on my ipad. I'm thinking when my phone is texted, ios uses the fact my phone and ipad are on the same icloud account to sync up the texts. That's my story and stickin' to it. :)

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Are you talking about iMessage?
You could sign up for Google Voice which offers free text messaging (although it doesn't support MMS) and doesn't require iOS although there is an iOS app. You could use it to text to anyone and you can do it from your computer through the web.
-Keith

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Yeah, I guess it's iMessage i'm referring to. I was just commenting on the fact that any iOS device has access to my texts, even the the apple tech didn't think so. I'll look into Google Voice.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The iPad has iMessage. Turn it on in Settings and connect it wi our iPhone iMessage account, and you can receive and send messages from other iPhone, iPad, and Mac users. But it's not an all-purpose texting system. http://www.apple.com/ios/messages/

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by DaveF
The iPad has iMessage. Turn it on in Settings and connect it wi our iPhone iMessage account, and you can receive and send messages from other iPhone, iPad, and Mac users. But it's not an all-purpose texting system.
http://www.apple.com/ios/messages/
If you still have friends texting from their caves with BBM (BlackBerry Messenger) you can use What'sApp to text to them. I'd know which is the best App for iPad to Android texting if I had any friends with Android phones but I don't so I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread