Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Sony Press Release: Sony Announces "Mastered in 4K" Blu-ray Titles

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 of 48 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,611 posts

Posted January 07 2013 - 12:55 PM

SONY PICTURES HOME ENTERTAINMENT

ANNOUNCES “MASTERED IN 4K” BLU-RAY TITLES TIMED WITH SONY 4K TVs

CULVER CITY, CALIF. (January 7, 2013) – To compliment the electronics industry’s launch of 4K Ultra HD Televisions, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) is proud to leverage its growing 4K asset library to present “Mastered in 4K” Blu-ray™ titles. While maintaining the studio’s commitment to the highest possible quality Blu-ray releases, the “Mastered in 4K” offering takes these efforts even further. 

“Mastered in 4K” Blu-ray releases will feature titles—such as The Amazing Spider-Man™, Total Recall, The Karate Kid, Battle: Los Angeles and The Other Guys—sourced from pristine 4K masters and presented at high-bitrate 1080p resolution, with expanded color showcasing more of the wide range of rich color contained in the original source. When upscaled via the Sony 4K Ultra HD TVs, these discs serve as an ideal way for consumers to experience near-4K picture quality. SPHE also plans to utilize available high quality 4K masters for select upcoming new release Blu-ray titles.  “Mastered in 4K” Blu-ray Discs can be played on all existing Blu-ray Disc players.

“The electronics industry’s groundbreaking launch of 4K Ultra HD TV has given us reason to even further elevate our Blu-ray offering,” said David Bishop, President, SPHE. “This spring, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment is excited to deliver a complementing lineup of ‘Mastered in 4K’ Blu-ray titles, offering consumers the best possible picture and sound quality to be experienced on the latest HDTVs.”

Leading the adoption of 4K content in cinema, home entertainment and broadcast, Sony Pictures builds on its renowned professional equipment expertise along with the company’s wealth of knowledge in both 4K acquisition and home entertainment. These “Mastered in 4K” Blu-ray titles—paired with the native 4K titles for Sony’s 4K video distribution service, which is planned to be launched in summer 2013 in the US—demonstrate Sony Pictures’ holistic commitment to 4K and to the launch of this exciting new hardware into the market.

SPHE will release this initial wave of more than 10 “Mastered in 4K” titles starting in Spring 2013, with rollout to select international territories soon thereafter.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 48 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted January 07 2013 - 01:56 PM

Geez....it's "Super bits" all over again....:rolleyes:
Recently watched- Home Alone 2: Lost In New York, Home Alone, An American Christmas Carol, It's A Spongebob Christmas!, Four Christmases, Love & Other Drugs, Assault On Precinct 13(1976), Lovejoy Christmas Specials, Die Hard 2: Die Harder, Die Hard, Up 3D, The Grandmaster, Edge Of Tomorrow 3D, The Comedy Of Terrors, The Raven(1963), Mulholland Falls

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 1

"Keep the change your filthy animal!"

#3 of 48 OFFLINE   Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 977 posts

Posted January 07 2013 - 02:22 PM

EXACTLY what I was thinking when I read this, Joseph! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

#4 of 48 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,268 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted January 07 2013 - 02:31 PM

My eyes!

Attention Sony copy editors:  this one is "complement"...

CULVER CITY, CALIF. (January 7, 2013) – To compliment the electronics industry’s launch of 4K Ultra HD Televisions, 

#5 of 48 OFFLINE   Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,748 posts

Posted January 07 2013 - 03:13 PM

According to the American Cinematographer article on it, THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN was NOT finished at 4K resolution. According to that piece, the 5K RED Epic raw data was downrezzed to 2.5K for all finishing work. Vincent

#6 of 48 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,606 posts

Posted January 07 2013 - 07:38 PM

This seems to be a positive means of allowing consumer awareness of 4k mastering, but it's nothing new, as long as data throughput is high enough. While I don't have a handy list of 4k mastered titles, we can at least go back to 2008. The larger question might be whether true 4k devices add anything to the mix, outside of projection. Even with a potentially higher color bit depth, can even the more knowledgeable consumer see a difference at a normal seating distance? Similar situation to attempting to review and comment upon Blu-ray discs, even when not mastered in 4k, when viewed on a 30-40 inch panel. Reach 100 inches or so, and those pixels will create a more cohesive image. Even more so at 15 feet. Regardless, along with true 4k data for home theater servers, this is a step in the right direction. Allowing the consumer to know how an image has been attained and how data has been handled before down-rez, is a positive move, heretofore only found in published booklets that "compliment" Criterion releases. While I'm not certain that I'd be adding a 55-60 inch 4k panel to my want list, true, moderately priced, 4k projection may be nice. RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#7 of 48 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,074 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted January 07 2013 - 08:13 PM

If nothing else, 4K should be able to cure banding.

#8 of 48 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,715 posts

Posted January 07 2013 - 08:27 PM

Except you have to buy yet another television in order to take advantage of these "superbits".
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#9 of 48 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,914 posts

Posted January 07 2013 - 08:52 PM

While I'm not certain that I'd be adding a 55-60 inch 4k panel to my want list, true, moderately priced, 4k projection may be nice. RAH

My guess is that moderately priced 4K projection is only a few years away.

#10 of 48 OFFLINE   Mr645

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts
  • LocationBoca Raton, Florida

Posted January 08 2013 - 12:36 AM

Does Sony sell 4K HDMI cables? Or will "Near" 4K cables going to work?

#11 of 48 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,278 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 11:22 AM

I remember how DVD upscaling was supposed to give us "near HD" and now HD upscaling is supposed to give us "near 4K". :) Either way, the more Blu-rays we can get where they did 4K scans of movies (particularly on newer, modern scanners), the better! Really makes such a big difference compared to those old 1080p scans we see far, far too many catalog titles suffer from.

#12 of 48 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,577 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted January 08 2013 - 12:12 PM

According to my friend who works for Sony Studios, 3D has not been the savior they hoped it would be. This following the dashed hopes for Blu Ray saving them. Sony is trying everything to get their home entertainment business back to the prominence they once held.

#13 of 48 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,337 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 08 2013 - 02:31 PM

According to my friend who works for Sony Studios, 3D has not been the savior they hoped it would be. This following the dashed hopes for Blu Ray saving them. Sony is trying everything to get their home entertainment business back to the prominence they once held.

I can't know what the studios are thinking or want in terms of sales but if they think there's some magic bullet (be it Blu-ray, 3-D or 4K) to make it 2002 again, they're crazy. Streaming and handheld gizmos have changed the game and they're never going to sell numbers like the good old days ever again.

#14 of 48 OFFLINE   Ryan-G

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

• 621 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 03:40 PM

I can't know what the studios are thinking or want in terms of sales but if they think there's some magic bullet (be it Blu-ray, 3-D or 4K) to make it 2002 again, they're crazy. Streaming and handheld gizmos have changed the game and they're never going to sell numbers like the good old days ever again.

I would disagree with that. Streaming itself can sell numbers like the good old days again. Streaming offers numerous advantages to the average consumer: Storage, convienence, portability. Pretty much the same advantages DVD originally offered. Streaming also offers one other advantage previous formats didn't have, an easier way to sell people on TV shows. What I mean is, how many TV Shows are out there that someone might be interested in, but they don't see because of scheduling issues or visibility? Someone sees a trailer for a new show, thinks "That might be interesting", then forgets and doesn't DVR it. Down the road, a DVD/BR of it isn't a impulse buy. But streaming lets you offer the pilot for free and charges a small per episode fee (If they smarten up). My concern is: What will suffer as a result of this slow adoption of streaming? Will we lose lossless audio, or will 4k be slowed because they want to keep size down? Or so they can cater to a small pipe to the internet? It's inevitable at this point, that streaming will be adopted and that it'll be a very strong revenue stream. It's even inevitable that we'll see movies up for streaming on the release day of theaters at a high premium. I'm just worried that this will impede progress or even downgrade the quality of offerings.

#15 of 48 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,868 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 09:15 PM

Except you have to buy yet another television in order to take advantage of these "superbits".

Uh, ahem:

“Mastered in 4K” Blu-ray Discs can be played on all existing Blu-ray Disc players.

In other words...it's Superbits. Complete with releasing a Spiderman movie first--It wouldn't be Sony if they didn't. :laugh: (Wait, "superbits" in quotes?....You don't even remember what they were, do you?) And while I've already gotten all the Superbits/Fifth Element jokes out of my system over on another board, think our friend here accidentally hit on Sony's big mistake: Most people don't know what 4K is, but they're still so traumatized from 3D, they think it's something they have to buy one MORE set just to watch. And they don't want to, so they won't buy the movies for it. Me, I've already got 4K mastered disks of Baraka and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and have to admit they look better than most of my Blu's, but not that I'd rush out and buy a $10000 set for it, with 3D or no. (Well, it would have to be "with".) Like the above-named examples, if a movie I was going to buy anyway was in 4K, that's nice, but I was given the same Superbit Choice between extras OR good-looking on store shelves, the same thing would happen that happened to Superbits. Sony's so determined to promote and associate the 4K label with the new sets, they want to show us they've got the cart to go with the horse, and they're not worrying about what happens if the horse throws a shoe.

#16 of 48 OFFLINE   Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,316 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 11:06 PM

It's just a thought, but maybe they should consider making good films. Remember how cinema audiences dwindled after WWII and they tried to get people back with 'scope, colour and 3D, and largely failed? And then the New Hollywood generation came along and gave us The Graduate, The Godfather, and so on? The studios existed with virtually zero revenue from the home market, other than tv deals. But they were saved by intelligent, talented people, making great films that people wanted to see. Oh, for a return to those days. But then we got the summer blockbuster and...oh well, I won't go on. Steve W
Correct a fool and he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will thank you.

#17 of 48 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,688 posts

Posted January 09 2013 - 01:10 AM

According to the American Cinematographer article on it, THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN was NOT finished at 4K resolution. According to that piece, the 5K RED Epic raw data was downrezzed to 2.5K for all finishing work. Vincent

I would really like to hear what Sony has to say about that plus I wonder why they are throwing away so much of the resolution that the 5k Red offers.

#18 of 48 ONLINE   Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner

Supporting Actor

• 790 posts

Posted January 09 2013 - 08:49 AM

I would really like to hear what Sony has to say about that plus I wonder why they are throwing away so much of the resolution that the 5k Red offers.

Nobody wants to invest in 4K sfx shots. So it's either all 2K or 4K non sfx combined with 2K sfx. Also, the non standard 5K is usually downsampled to the standard 4K and then other processes like shot stabilisation and reframing take away more resolution so in the end it's down to 3K or 2.5K or 2K. It's one of the ironic facts of today that 4K treatment from start to end a a real 4K master is much more likely to happen when a classic is restored than when new films are shot and post produced. So Lawrence is better resolved than the 5K shot "Hobbit". :laugh:

#19 of 48 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,715 posts

Posted January 09 2013 - 05:51 PM

Uh, ahem: In other words...it's Superbits. Complete with releasing a Spiderman movie first--It wouldn't be Sony if they didn't. :laugh: (Wait, "superbits" in quotes?....You don't even remember what they were, do you?) And while I've already gotten all the Superbits/Fifth Element jokes out of my system over on another board, think our friend here accidentally hit on Sony's big mistake: Most people don't know what 4K is, but they're still so traumatized from 3D, they think it's something they have to buy one MORE set just to watch. And they don't want to, so they won't buy the movies for it. Me, I've already got 4K mastered disks of Baraka and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and have to admit they look better than most of my Blu's, but not that I'd rush out and buy a $10000 set for it, with 3D or no. (Well, it would have to be "with".) Like the above-named examples, if a movie I was going to buy anyway was in 4K, that's nice, but I was given the same Superbit Choice between extras OR good-looking on store shelves, the same thing would happen that happened to Superbits. Sony's so determined to promote and associate the 4K label with the new sets, they want to show us they've got the cart to go with the horse, and they're not worrying about what happens if the horse throws a shoe.

Well, first of all, I do remember what Superbit discs were. When I put the word in quotes I was using it emphasize what a bunch of marketing bullshit the Superbit branding was. The increase in image quality between a standard DVD release and a Superbit release was so marginal as to be completely indistinguishable on everything except, possibly, large front projection rigs which, even now, most homeowners don't have. When I say that you need a new set to take advantage of Sony's new "4K mastering" marketing bullshit, I mean in the sense that you gain the upscaling to "4k". A dubious advantage since upscaling the 4k mastered but downrezzed to 1080p source up to "4K" is going to result in zero noticeable increase in PQ for anybody except, maybe once again, those who own large front projection rigs. On the average 50" set, upscaling to "4K" is useless. I have "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" and I don't think that mastering at 4K and then downrezzing to 1080p results in the film looking any better than if it had been properly mastered at 1080p to begin with. AFAIAC, the quality of 4k mastering is only going to be noticeable if the disc really is 4k and you are watching it with gear capable of processing true 4K at a screen size large enough to notice the difference between a 1080p transfer and a 4K transfer. Anything else is just BS. I have LoA and that disc was mastered at 4K or higher and looks fantastic on BR, but I think the film looking that good on BR has less to do with the 4k mastering and more to do with the fact that they took the time and care to finally restore the film to as high a quality as possible before doing any mastering to begin with. 4k or higher mastering is the bonus if we all had the ability to take advantage of it natively.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#20 of 48 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted January 09 2013 - 07:07 PM

If nothing else, 4K should be able to cure banding.

Higher resolution would not, in itself, have an effect on banding. A greater color space would, which could be done with existing technology. Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users