Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

PHE Press Release: Star Trek Enterprise - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)

Paramount

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 of 77 OFFLINE   bryan4999

bryan4999

Supporting Actor

• 520 posts

Posted March 29 2013 - 01:45 PM

Jason, I thought the Trekcore article implied the extra materials were downloadable. That would be nice. I'll have to read it more closely.

Bryan, you are making me nervous! I will hopefully be checking out Broken Bow tonight to see for myself. I noticed a ton of jaggies on the TNG DVD's for Enterprise shots as it flies by. I imagine the new Enterprise blu rays are not as bad as those TNG discs! Sounds like you've been flying through the set! I hope to make it last a while, close to when Season 2 comes out.

Scott, you got me, I don't have any of the original series bloopers on disc. I was given a copy of the TOS bloopers on video tape. I'd like to get that on a disc someday. It's funny, we have the entire canon on DVD and now starting over with blu rays!

Nelson - I will be really curious to read your opinion. If you are talking about the original regular DVD releases of TNG (not the blu-ray), then I can assure you that these are light-years ahead of those - especially the first season of TNG on DVD, which was really awful (and if memory serves it listed at a higher price - not adjusted for inflation - than the TNG blu's).

#62 of 77 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 5,061 posts

Posted March 29 2013 - 03:45 PM

Received my blu-rays of Enterprise yesterday, but haven't had a chance to check them out yet. As I have said in this thread and elsewhere, my appreciation for the show grew by leaps when I watched it on DVD, as opposed to the original broadcast. I'm looking forward to revisiting it again on blu.

#63 of 77 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,632 posts

Posted March 30 2013 - 12:04 AM

Bryan, guys, I watched Broken Bow and Fight or Flight. I was curious to see if there was a difference between the pilot and a regular episode since some one said the pilot was filmed at 4:3 and the order was made to shoot the series at 16:9, so the footage for the pilot was zoomed.What's funny is I remember watching the pilot and series on a 4:3 set. The year following the year the show ended, I got my first HDTV and watched the DVDs for the first time in widescreen.Anyway, I didn't compare to the DVD yet, probably will do that tomorrow. My impression is that some of the live action shoots of the pilot looked smeary. It looked good overall and very watchable, but not as sharp as a tack as TNG and TOS are. The smeary ness could just be from up conversion. many shots did look very sharp. I definitely saw the shimmering of fine panel lines on thr Enterprise hull and on the rear end of the shuttle that carried Archer and Trip as they inspected the Enterprse. But as you guys have said and the Trekcore site said, if you don't focus on it, you notice it less if not at all. I however like to study the ship shots. The CGI shots of Brazil looked soft, but quite watchable. The CGI of the facility the shuttle pod lands on on Rigel was nicely obscuring any shimmering from the snowfall. I thought the shots of Kronos looked particularly sharp!It was hard to tell if there was any difference between the pilot and the first episode, they looked about the same in sharpness and the effects shot had the same softness and occasional shimmering. Which is a shame, the older shows look better then the newest!But so far, this looked very good to me! I wished the cgi was better, nothings perfect.

#64 of 77 OFFLINE   bryan4999

bryan4999

Supporting Actor

• 520 posts

Posted March 30 2013 - 06:41 AM

I though the preview of "Best of Both Worlds" (TNG) looked fantastic - can't wait for that one on 4/30/13.

#65 of 77 OFFLINE   bryan4999

bryan4999

Supporting Actor

• 520 posts

Posted March 30 2013 - 08:42 AM

Bryan, guys,I watched Broken Bow and Fight or Flight. I was curious to see if there was a difference between the pilot and a regular episode since some one said the pilot was filmed at 4:3 and the order was made to shoot the series at 16:9, so the footage for the pilot was zoomed.What's funny is I remember watching the pilot and series on a 4:3 set. The year following the year the show ended, I got my first HDTV and watched the DVDs for the first time in widescreen.Anyway, I didn't compare to the DVD yet, probably will do that tomorrow. My impression is that some of the live action shoots of the pilot looked smeary. It looked good overall and very watchable, but not as sharp as a tack as TNG and TOS are. The smeary ness could just be from up conversion. many shots did look very sharp.I definitely saw the shimmering of fine panel lines on thr Enterprise hull and on the rear end of the shuttle that carried Archer and Trip as they inspected the Enterprse. But as you guys have said and the Trekcore site said, if you don't focus on it, you notice it less if not at all. I however like to study the ship shots.The CGI shots of Brazil looked soft, but quite watchable. The CGI of the facility the shuttle pod lands on on Rigel was nicely obscuring any shimmering from the snowfall. I thought the shots of Kronos looked particularly sharp!It was hard to tell if there was any difference between the pilot and the first episode, they looked about the same in sharpness and the effects shot had the same softness and occasional shimmering. Which is a shame, the older shows look better then the newest!But so far, this looked very good to me! I wished the cgi was better, nothings perfect.

I feel pretty much the same. I re-watched "Broken Bow" last night, with the intention of just enjoying it, and I got involved in it despite the CGI issues. Hopefully, it will improve as the seasons progress. And we have to be realistic that these will never sell the number of copies that TNG will. CBS has to make their business decisions.

#66 of 77 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,632 posts

Posted March 30 2013 - 01:18 PM

Its certainly true as to the economic decisions that likely led to a minimal effort to bring Enterprise to blu-ray. It would be enlightening to learn how the Enterprise and TNG sets are doing on the market. If Enterprise is considered that low in the volumes it could appeal to, then its very possible that DS9 and Voyager may not get the same make over investment. Those two series were already suffering a ratings decline as they aired.

#67 of 77 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,920 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted March 31 2013 - 12:29 PM

That's almost what I'm scared of, Nelson, for DS9 and VOY.  The one thing I always come back to is this: they've already future-proofed TOS and TNG.  ENT is just about ready to go.  Why would they do only half the franchise?  I think, at this point, DS9 and VOY have to get done.  The lessons the team learned in everything to this point are going to make DS9 and VOY that much "easier" to work on.

I hope.  This will be my fallback position until I hear, from CBS, they will not be doing DS9 and VOY.

#68 of 77 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,632 posts

Posted March 31 2013 - 02:45 PM

To quote Kirk, "We are committed!"CBS is so to speak committed, they have gone this far. It would only make sense to keep going. I hope you are right that the efforts for DS9 and Voyager will be much more streamlined to make those shows possible for the HD upgrade.I did watch a few of the extras on the Enterprise set. I was going to wait, but I went ahead and saw the Berman/Braga sit down conversation. That was interesting. And it was nice to see more light shed onto the Shatner story pitch they declined to do.Also, on the last disc, I saw part one of the new documentary on developing the series. Braga was very straightforward about many things. One thing he commented on the Diane Warren song, which he didn't like! Not sure the U-2 song would have been a good idea either. But that made me wonder, it will be very interesting if Berman and Braga will comment on "These are the Voyages", the Valentine to the fans episode. I hate that episode, but I have watched it. I even flew down to Los Angeles to see it at a hotel where a showing was set-up for the fans to see the last first run episode. I met Mike Okuda there outside the room. I'll bet a few other production people were there. Perhaps they will get Manny Coto too involved in the later docs.Edit: Perhaps hate is a strong word. It's a okay episode, but as many have said, it shouldn't have been the finale.

Edited by Nelson Au, March 31 2013 - 02:47 PM.

#69 of 77 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,920 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted March 31 2013 - 06:56 PM

If Manny Coto isn't involved in the extras, that would be an insult to him and the entire fourth season.  Say what you will about the series and S4 in particular, but there were some wonderful stories that made Enterprise feel like a piece of the Trek universe instead of just a bastard child.

I'd also expect there to be a commentary on "These are the Voyages."  Maybe there's enough money to have some of its defenders (who...I don't know) go against its detractors (members of the cast).  If they get Frakes and Sirtis as the only participants, though, I'll be upset.

#70 of 77 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,632 posts

Posted March 31 2013 - 09:22 PM

I'm sure Manny Coto will be involved in the new extras, he has to be! I took a quick look at the DVD of Broken Bow to compare to the blu-ray. I'm not too surprised, but there wasn't a huge difference! The main improvement was the live action of course, lines on Bakula's face was better defined and mild color improvements were what I could tell with a quick look. I didn't have time to really study it.Here's the surprise, at the start of chapter 2, where you see the Earth and Sun from orbit, and the camera pans to the left to show the pod carrying Trip and Archer to inspect the NX-01, on the blu-ray, as the pod passes, you see the rear of the pod and the detail in the back is shimmering and blotchy. This scene really stuck out at me. The exact same shot on the DVD is also shimmering and blotchy! But it's less so. I'll have to look for the shimmering on the hull lines too.

#71 of 77 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted April 01 2013 - 07:18 AM

"Perhaps hate is a strong word."

Nelson,

Agreed.  (Sorry, wrong thread. ;))

Edited by Ockeghem, April 01 2013 - 07:21 AM.

#72 of 77 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 2,026 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted April 02 2013 - 12:05 PM

ok so i finished the set this morning and was pleasently pleased, but i have a question for all, while watching two days, two nights, i thought when Archer is talking to the woman on the balcony that there was a sound drop, anyone else have this issue? he is talking about Porthos looking to make friends and i swear it drops out at make so it sounds like looking to mate

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#73 of 77 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,632 posts

Posted April 03 2013 - 02:02 PM

I havent gotten that far yet. I plan to take my time watching the episodes. So if i see what you see and hear, I'll post it. I think Bryan has seen the entire set, maybe he'll reply.

#74 of 77 ONLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,874 posts

Posted April 04 2013 - 05:56 AM

ok so i finished the set this morning and was pleasently pleased, but i have a question for all, while watching two days, two nights, i thought when Archer is talking to the woman on the balcony that there was a sound drop, anyone else have this issue? he is talking about Porthos looking to make friends and i swear it drops out at make so it sounds like looking to mate

I don't recall a drop-out when watching that episode (which was Directed by Michael Dorn, btw). I'll check tonight to see if I missed it or if it isn't present on my set.
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#75 of 77 OFFLINE   bryan4999

bryan4999

Supporting Actor

• 520 posts

Posted April 05 2013 - 06:55 AM

I listened carefully to this with earphones and I did not hear any dropout. I clearly heard the entire sentence.

#76 of 77 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 2,026 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted April 06 2013 - 06:20 AM

Bryan,

thanks, maybe its just my hearing, didnt use headphones, and i will admit i backed it up a couple of times just to make sure.

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#77 of 77 OFFLINE   KPmusmag

KPmusmag

Second Unit

• 353 posts
  • LocationHenderson, NV

Posted April 07 2013 - 08:34 AM

Does anyone need a slipcover for this? It's your if you want it...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users