Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

PHE Press Release: Star Trek Enterprise - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)

Paramount

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 of 77 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,002 posts

Posted March 25 2013 - 12:11 PM

Jason, lucky you to have S1 already!

I'll try to grab a copy tomorrow. I'll be interested in what you think of the set and the image quality.

#42 of 77 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 8,958 posts

Posted March 25 2013 - 12:16 PM

Jason, lucky you to have S1 already!

I'll try to grab a copy tomorrow. I'll be interested in what you think of the set and the image quality.

Nelson,

I taped the entire series off of television when it first aired.  Once I went from my televised copy to the DVD, I was amazed at the visual and (especially) the aural difference/upgrade.  I'm guessing that you are in for a treat with the blu-ray. :)

Edited by Ockeghem, March 25 2013 - 12:16 PM.

ockeghem2.jpg

#43 of 77 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,583 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted March 25 2013 - 12:17 PM

I wouldn't wait for me, Nelson!  There's zero chance I get to watch the season before the summer.  The BF and I just started TNG S1...and I don't want to start skipping around on him!

#44 of 77 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,002 posts

Posted March 25 2013 - 12:34 PM

Scott, the DVDs of Enterprise really do look pretty good! So I am curious how the live action will improve! I'm sure there will be a Quantum Leap in image quality! I couldn't resist.  :)

Jason, I sure will not wait! :D  I'll dig into the set this weekend, if not sooner. 

In the second season episode, Minefield, (one of my favorites) the scenes of Malcolm and Archer outside on the hull look less then perfect because the blackness of space isn't that black and the images of Archer or Malcolm against the black background has poor contrast. So when S2 comes out, I'll be looking of that one. I'm sure that will look better.

Edited by Nelson Au, March 25 2013 - 12:34 PM.

#45 of 77 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,583 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted March 25 2013 - 12:36 PM

That was so punny, Nelson!  :rolling-smiley:

#46 of 77 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,002 posts

Posted March 27 2013 - 11:34 AM

I grabbed a copy of Enterprise last night. Surprised the Best Buy register rang it up at $79, but I told him the rack shows it at $65, which he gave me.

I hope to indulge in Broken Bow this weekend.

#47 of 77 Jeff*H

Jeff*H

Supporting Actor

• 688 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted March 28 2013 - 07:35 AM

Started watching the S1 blu-ray last evening.  Forgot how much I enjoyed "Broken Bow" from when I saw it in its original airing.  Absolutely loved the Berman/Braga interview, although I was a little surprised to see how sensitive they were to Manny Coto getting all the credit for 'saving' the show in Season 4.  They seemed to take a few humorous jabs at him.  A great interview, one of the best extras of any Star Trek DVD/blu-ray set, although I was surprised at the production quality of the interview (you could occasionally hear background noise while B&B were talking, the camera wobbled in a few instances).

I think both Berman and Braga turned out some great work in the early years of their Star Trek involvement, and Berman was a critical factor in helping turn around Next Gen in Season 3.  However, as with many business CEOs, they overstayed their welcome in the end.  Not to mention that Enterprise should never have ended up on UPN--not the right show for that network at all.  I think first-run syndication would have been a better choice.

Can't wait to revisit more S1 episodes--I'm glad I picked up this set.  Now bring on NEXT GEN Season 3!

Facebook members, be sure to visit my Hawaii Five-0 Celebration page:  http://www.facebook....113331868678710

#48 of 77 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,583 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted March 28 2013 - 07:06 PM

I think both Berman and Braga turned out some great work in the early years of their Star Trek involvement, and Berman was a critical factor in helping turn around Next Gen in Season 3.  However, as with many business CEOs, they overstayed their welcome in the end. 

They did some brilliant work later in their Trek years, too.  About half their work on Enterprise was pretty good.  I think Berman, in particular, would have had to be fired before giving up Trek.  Based on how long he was around the franchise, he felt a...responsibility for it, to Gene's vision and to carry it on the best he could.  I don't know if I would have been able to walk away, to be honest, in his shoes. 

#49 of 77 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,583 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted March 28 2013 - 07:51 PM

One more thing I haven't seen mentioned in any Trek BD thread: retailer exclusives.  In short, yes, they're back for Trek shows...

http://trekcore.com/...-exclusive-vam/

#50 of 77 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,719 posts

Posted March 29 2013 - 04:09 AM

Ugh. I've never gotten a retailer exclusive and I won't. It's a damn shame that the great work being done on these documentaries is wasted on exclusives were most people will never see them.

#51 of 77 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,583 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted March 29 2013 - 05:47 AM

Agreed, Sam.  I thought we were long past this, with the exception of steelbooks and action figures.  This doesn't change my Amazon pre-order, to be honest.  This content, rightfully or wrongfully, will be available on YouTube before long. 

#52 of 77 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,002 posts

Posted March 29 2013 - 07:26 AM

In principle, I agree with you guys on retailer exclusives. Back in the day when the TNG DVD's first came out, I bought them at Best Buy. What was not on my radar then was to buy them via Amazon as they were still kinda new then. And the bonus to me was that the TNG sets had a bonus disc. It wasn't called a exclusive then, so it didn't occur to me then that was the case. The discs weren't all that special in content for a lot of people. It was usually a interview they didn't have room for in the set. So it was a nice bonus for me.

I agree, the bonus materials on this set as well as the bonuses on other sets will end up on YouTube and are usually nicely described on Memory Alpha.

I had no idea that they had this bonus for the Enterprise set till you guys brought it up!

#53 of 77 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,583 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted March 29 2013 - 07:33 AM

I didn't know either until I clicked over to TrekCore last night!  From what I understand, the BB exclusive is no longer on a disc...it's all cloud based. 

#54 of 77 bryan4999

bryan4999

Second Unit

• 455 posts

Posted March 29 2013 - 10:03 AM

I have watched quite a bit of it now and I have to confess that I am feeling slightly - and only slightly - let down. The lower res CGI really is noticeable to me, especially, unfortunately, shots of The Enterprise in motion; it is designed with so many minute striations and fine lines - that when it is in motion there is definite aliasing and shimmer. I have tried it on several displays at this point - it is least noticeable on my PC, on my Samsung 55 inch very noticeable, and on my projector it is there but less than the Samsung, surprisingly, given that I am projecting at 109 inches. A great deal of the CGI doesn't have as much fine detail as shots of The Enterprise, so it was not terribly noticeable in those cases. An exception is in "Two Nights and Two Days", the houses on the hillside overlooking the beach are blurry and lacking in detail. I guess part of the reason that I feel slightly let down is that all along, everyone has said, "Enterprise was created for HD, so it will be perfect on blu, it is ready to go." But not quite. And, hey, I get dollars and cents; at my work, my Manager seems to come to me every three months or so saying, "You've gotta find a way to cut another 2 - 5 percent." I get it. It is just too bad they didn't "future proof" the show by rendering at 1080 back in the day, in 2002 it was well-known that 1080 would be the standard for hi-def TV. But I wasn't there, dealing with budgets and time constraints, so it was obviously the best they could do.

That being said, overall it is great. I have never seen it look better, and the sound is much improved in lossless. I had gotten used to the sound with amazon streaming and this really knocked me out. The new extras are fantastic and I am grateful to CBS for allowing  a budget for new featurettes to be created, I have enjoyed every one I've watched so far. I will defiinitely keep buying these sets, I want all of the Star Trek canon on blu. 

#55 of 77 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 8,958 posts

Posted March 29 2013 - 11:45 AM

Nelson and Bryan,

I remember the day that I completed the entire Star Trek canon (including TOS and TNG blooper reels, rarer specials, etc.). I was elated. I love having every episode from all six series as well as every Trek film in my DVD collection.

Edited by Ockeghem, March 29 2013 - 12:04 PM.

ockeghem2.jpg

#56 of 77 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,002 posts

Posted March 29 2013 - 11:55 AM

Jason, I thought the Trekcore article implied the extra materials were downloadable. That would be nice. I'll have to read it more closely.

Bryan, you are making me nervous! I will hopefully be checking out Broken Bow tonight to see for myself. I noticed a ton of jaggies on the TNG DVD's for Enterprise shots as it flies by. I imagine the new Enterprise blu rays are not as bad as those TNG discs! Sounds like you've been flying through the set! I hope to make it last a while, close to when Season 2 comes out.

Scott, you got me, I don't have any of the original series bloopers on disc. I was given a copy of the TOS bloopers on video tape. I'd like to get that on a disc someday. It's funny, we have the entire canon on DVD and now starting over with blu rays!

Edited by Nelson Au, March 29 2013 - 11:56 AM.

• Ockeghem likes this

#57 of 77 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 8,958 posts

Posted March 29 2013 - 01:07 PM

cott, you got me, I don't have any of the original series bloopers on disc. I was given a copy of the TOS bloopers on video tape. I'd like to get that on a disc someday. It's funny, we have the entire canon on DVD and now starting over with blu rays!

Nelson,

Like you, I actually have the bloopers on VHS tape.  I could transfer them to disc, but I haven't done that yet.  I may get around to doing that some day.

ockeghem2.jpg

#58 of 77 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,002 posts

Posted March 29 2013 - 01:22 PM

Same here! :)

#59 of 77 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,583 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted March 29 2013 - 01:31 PM

Jason, I thought the Trekcore article implied the extra materials were downloadable. That would be nice. I'll have to read it more closely.

Maybe I used bad terminology.  Yes, they are downloadable but as far as I remember, there is no physical disc like the extra discs on the TNG sets from back in the day.  You have to have a special Best Buy code or something like that to access them.  My only point is they are not disc based (ie. packed along with the season set on the store shelf).

#60 of 77 bryan4999

bryan4999

Second Unit

• 455 posts

Posted March 29 2013 - 01:42 PM

Nelson and Bryan,

I remember the day that I completed the entire Star Trek canon (including TOS and TNG blooper reels, rarer specials, etc.). I was elated. I love having every episode from all six series as well as every Trek film in my DVD collection.

Yes, I hear you. Despite my mild discontent regarding the CGI in this blu-ray set, I would watch any flavor of Star Trek on a 6 inch black and white screen with rabbit ears if that was all that was available, and I would still be grateful for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users