-

Photo
- - - - -

PHE Press Release: Star Trek Enterprise - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)

Paramount

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#21 of 77 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,133 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted January 10 2013 - 05:54 PM

I can understand that. To be fair, they ARE all spinoffs of TNG in some way (except for ENT).

Right! I'm not knocking anyone who likes them. I know there are some who like the spin-offs and don't like TOS. Enterprise just never impressed me on different levels. Number one, I'm not a fan of prequels. I've seen both Dallas and Bonanza have prequels made and for a series, it just doesn't do it. Second, I'm used to Scott Bakula in Quantum Leap and I just never could warm up to the fact of him being a Star Fleet dude. If it would've been a movie instead of a series, my reaction might have been different. Give me Picard or Kirk any day!!! And, I may anger some TOS fans, I think Picard was actually the better captain and actor of the two. Kirk was a ham, always looking for the one-liner it seemed. Picard was much more serious and I like that.:cool:

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#22 of 77 OFFLINE   Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit

• 485 posts

Posted January 11 2013 - 05:28 AM

Agreed on the pricing. Star Trek: TOS had new cg effects. TNG has painstaking research through the archives and new compositing. Enterprise has little to no work to produce as it was originally made in HD. It's so easy to put out and that's why it's coming out alongside TNG. Considering this and the fact that it's not as popular I expected a lower price point than the other two series.
www.notinmybook.comWhere I can complain and complain and complain.

#23 of 77 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,686 posts

Posted January 12 2013 - 06:28 PM

I gave it a shot, but I thought the production values looked cheap, Scott Bakula was not very charismatic IMO, and I didn't like the music. The sum of it's parts just didn't click for me. I thought that Janeway and Chakotay were more compelling characters than Archer and T'Pol. JMO.

Wait --- cheap production values? Enterprise was fucking light years ahead of the other Trek series series in terms of production values. It's a gorgeous looking show.

#24 of 77 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,760 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted January 12 2013 - 07:15 PM

Light years?  They all are a product of their times.  The blinky lights in TOS look crappy today, but probably were "light years" ahead of everything else on TV at the time.  TNG looks dated today, but in the 80s?  DS9 was revolutionary in its production design and sets, incorporating lights into the sets rather than hanging down from rafters.  Not to mention the full Promenade set which debuted in the second season and ceilings in every set.  VOY carried the 24th century look to a new ship.  Enterprise had the benefit of being the most current and having a larger budget per episode than TNG at its outset.

#25 of 77 OFFLINE   DaveHof

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator

• 212 posts

Posted January 13 2013 - 01:37 PM

The look of Enterprise had to be a tricky thing to pull off, because it had to be more advanced than our present-day space program, but nowhere near as sophisticated as the ships on TNG and Voyager. There was a lot of gray on that ship, and that made it seem more like a navy battleship than a spacecraft. Plus all the uniforms were the same color, so you couldn't even widen the palette that way. So I think it looked appropriate and fine given what they were trying to do. I'll definitely pick up the Blu-Ray sets. I've been through my Enterprise DVDs 3 times and still enjoy taking that journey. Episodes like "Dear Doctor," "Carbon Creek" and "In a Mirror, Darkly" stand with the best moments Trek has ever produced.

#26 of 77 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,542 posts

Posted January 13 2013 - 11:47 PM

Wait --- cheap production values? Enterprise was fucking light years ahead of the other Trek series series in terms of production values. It's a gorgeous looking show.

Your opinion vs mine, to each his own.
See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#27 of 77 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,322 posts

Posted January 14 2013 - 07:58 AM

I didn't see this news until today. Nice they are finally giving us a date for the release. As if it wasn't going to happen! :) Look like a very nice full featured release too and I'm glad to see audio commentaries. Probably much easer to do on a 4 season series then it would have been for TNG and the very long gap between its last airing and the BD release. There were a couple of clunkers that first season, but overall, it was a very well done year. I'm looking forward to it. Given the recent DVD's look very good, it will be nice to see how much improved the series will look on BD.

#28 of 77 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,703 posts

Posted February 08 2013 - 04:14 AM

First look:

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#29 of 77 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,322 posts

Posted February 09 2013 - 03:06 AM

Ironic, the video of the promo would not work yesterday because it required the most recent version of Flash and my Mac was updated with the newest version of Flash as a result, yet still would not play. And a PC would not play it. Yet my iPad will play it, and it's one iOS behind. That was a nice promo, cool they acknowledged the fans asked for it on sparkling blu-ray. the extras look interesting. It will be interesting to compare this set to the TNG blu-rays. I have a feeling that on every level, this series will look better then the TNG first and second season blu-ray sets. And that's not a knock on the great efforts on the TNG blu-ray effort. I have a feeling the Enterprise bridge and ship corridors and engineering and sickbay studio sets will look great, as will the costumes as they benefitted with current technologies. As the TNG blu rays enter the third season, I'm sure we'll see an improvement in the filming of that series with improvements in photography and to costumes that we'll be able to appreciate.

#30 of 77 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,322 posts

Posted March 23 2013 - 06:50 PM

Star Trek Enterprise is coming this Tuesday! The date came up on us fast.

I'm looking forward to it. With the forum migration going on, I didn't see any reviews yet. Though I'm sure it's going to be another fine release.

The Bargins thread does not have a new thread for the coming week's releases yet, but I see it at Amazon for $77.86. I'm sure Best Buy will be similarly priced. It will be interesting if Costco has it.

#31 of 77 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,853 posts

Posted March 24 2013 - 03:51 AM

Also looking forward to this. I gained a new appreciation for Enterprise on DVD. I'm sure it gets even better on blu-ray.

#32 of 77 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,009 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 24 2013 - 04:02 AM

The Bargins thread does not have a new thread for the coming week's releases yet, but I see it at Amazon for $77.86. I'm sure Best Buy will be similarly priced. It will be interesting if Costco has it.

You've probably seen the price already but Best Buy has it for $65 and I'd imagine Amazon's price will soon be dropping to that price as well.

#33 of 77 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,121 posts

Posted March 24 2013 - 04:04 AM

not sure why it gets so much hate from Trek fans..

It involves a certain log and a chainsaw.

#34 of 77 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,760 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted March 24 2013 - 07:33 AM

I'm looking forward to it. With the forum migration going on, I didn't see any reviews yet. Though I'm sure it's going to be another fine release.

TrekCore has their review up and the Bits should have theirs tomorrow.  The big thing about Enterprise, at least from my perspective, is that the CGI is upconverted from 720 and not straight up 1080.  I don't expect a massive step up in picture quality (like TNG).

I'm less excited for the episodes than I am for the extras.  Brannon Braga and Rick Berman supposedly get very honest about Enterprise and all the troubles with the show. 

#35 of 77 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,322 posts

Posted March 24 2013 - 08:14 AM

Ah, $65.00, so much the better! Thanks!

Jason, I'll check out Trekcore, thanks!

In regards to the 720 issue, I think there was a discussion that I posted recently that the resolution was a deliberate choice because at 1080, the CGI didn't look real, it looked too sharp. Perhaps it was in the TNG reviews at Trekcore actually. The reasons as I recall reading at the time made sense to me. I'll look for it and if it's not here already, I'll see if I can quote it.

Berman and Braga honest about the troubles? That sounds interesting.

#36 of 77 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,760 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted March 24 2013 - 08:24 AM

They also interviewed one of the BD's producers and it basically came down to money, IIRC.  The expense to re-render all the effects in 1080 would have been prohibitive for the budget of the release. Which makes sense...

There's also a small detail about why trailers were not included on the ENT release like they were on TNG.  Basically, they couldn't find them all (which is odd since they're all on YouTube and someone HAS to have them all).  But it's alright...at least the reasoning makes sense.

#37 of 77 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,322 posts

Posted March 24 2013 - 08:58 AM

Well, I read the trekcore review. Their review of the 720 upscaling of the effects does sound disappointing. He did say how he got used to it fast though.

Still looking forward to checking the set out and the candid hour long discussion. I like the quote where Braga says to Berman that they've been accused of killing the franchise! It was surprising to read the part that the staff was exhausted still working on Voyager. I can see a break at that time might have helped.

#38 of 77 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,760 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted March 25 2013 - 09:51 AM

There's another part, I think from another interview, Nelson, where there is an unnamed UPN exec who wanted a different band to play in the mess hall for the crew in every episode.  When Berman explained why it wouldn't work, he realized Trek on TV had no chance at that time.

#39 of 77 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,322 posts

Posted March 25 2013 - 11:28 AM

Jason,

I've never heard that story before and I just couldn't believe my ears!

I looked it up and I found that info. As you said, the UPN exec wanted a different hot band in the "restaurant" on the ship each week and then in the end credits, they can put up a card with the album info. "All the other shows are doing! Trust me!"

Holy cow! Now I have a different opinion of Berman, at least he asked the exec how are we going to get that band on the ship when they are out in space far away! 

What a stupid idea!  :o

And it also is in line with what I've heard Bakula say that the management at the studio and network are totally different and there was simply no support for the show.  As I recall, the urban shows were mostly what was on UPN at the time. Star Trek just didn't fit in. Voyager ended at the right time.

I also read part of the Brannon Braga interview on Trekcore. He said something that surprised me. That if you want to see a series picked up for another season, watch it on Netflix. Apparently, the suits take those numbers seriously and one series is getting another season because of that. So he said, if you want more Enterprise, watch it on Netflix!

#40 of 77 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,760 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted March 25 2013 - 12:04 PM

Holy cow! Now I have a different opinion of Berman, at least he asked the exec how are we going to get that band on the ship when they are out in space far away! 

Yup!  I've been critical of Berman over the years, but that story, but itself, was an OMG moment...and one that elevates him in my eyes now.  Whatever he might have done "wrong," arguing with the exec and standing his ground is kinda cool to me! 

Coincidentally, I'm holding Enterprise S1 in my hands right now.  Amazon delivered a day early.  :thumbs-up-smiley:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Paramount

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users