Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

PHE Press Release: Star Trek Enterprise - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)

Paramount

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 of 77 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,279 posts

Posted January 07 2013 - 12:33 PM

EMBARK ON THE MAIDEN VOYAGE OF THE ENTERPRISE NX-01 IN

SPARKLING HIGH DEFINITION

THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON BLU-RAY™

Six-Disc Set Boasts New Special Features Including

Multi-Part Documentary With New Cast And Crew Interviews And

An Intimate Conversation With The Creators

Available March 26, 2013

HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (January 7, 2013)  Experience the historic voyage of the starship

Enterprise   NX-01   like   never   before   when   STAR   TREK®:   ENTERPRISETHE   COMPLETE

FIRST  SEASON  makes  its  Blu-ray  debut  on  March  26  from  CBS  Home  Entertainment  and

Paramount Home Media Distribution.

The  STAR  TREK:  ENTERPRISE—THE  COMPLETE  FIRST  SEASON  Blu-ray  boasts

brand   new   bonus     features     including   a   multi-part,     retrospective   documentary     called

“To  Boldly  Go:  Launching  Enterprise”  that  gives  fans  an  inside  look  at  the  development  and

production of the series and is exclusive to this collection.   The documentary features interviews

with the show’s cast and crew, some of which were shot as recently as December 2012, as well

as archival footage and behind-the-scenes clips.   The documentary includes:

Part  One:  Countdown  -  Chronicles  the  challenges  faced  by  the  producers  and  creative

staff as they attempt to launch a new chapter in the Star Trek® saga by making the then-radical

decision  to  create  a  prequel  to  the  beloved  original  series.  Features  all  new  interviews  with  key

file://localhost/Users/njronbo/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/msoclip/0/clip_image002.gifpersonnel  including  creators  Rick  Berman  and  Brannon  Braga,  production  designer  Herman

Zimmerman,    technical    consultants    Michael    and    Denise    Okuda,    writers    Andre    Bormanis,

Phyllis Strong and more.

Part  Two:  Boarding  the  NX-01  -  Follows  the  team  as  they  begin  the  casting  process

and  production  on  the  series  2-hour  pilot  “Broken  Bow.”    Features  all-new  interviews  with  key

cast  and  crew  including  series  pilot  director  James  L.  Conway  and  series  leads  Scott  Bakula

("Jonathan Archer"), Connor Trinneer ("Trip Tucker"), and Dominic Keating ("Malcolm Reed").

Part   Three:   First   Flight   -   Charts   the   course   for   the   rest   of   the   series'   first   season

including all-new interviews with key production and post-production personnel.

The   six-disc   set   also   includes   a   candid   conversation   with   the   series’   creators,   Rick

Berman  and  Brannon  Braga,  offering  a  glimpse  into  their  creative  process.     In  addition,  the

Blu-ray  features  brand  new  commentaries  on  select  episodes  from  the  season,  along  with  a

host of previously released special features such as deleted scenes and outtakes.

STAR    TREK:    ENTERPRISE    recounts    the

adventures    of    the    pioneers    of    space    travel    who

ventured into the universe 100 years before James T.

Kirk  helmed  the  starship  of  the  same  name.    Set  in

the   22nd   century,  ENTERPRISE   takes   place   in   an

era    when    interstellar    travel    is    still    in    its    infancy.

Captain    Jonathan    Archer    (Scott    Bakula)    has

assembled   a   crew   of   brave   explorers   to   chart   the

galaxy  on  a  revolutionary  spacecraft:  Enterprise  NX-

01.    As  the  first  human  beings  to  venture  into  deep

space,   these   men   and   women   will   experience   the

wonder  and  mystery  of  the  final  frontier  as  they  seek

out new life and new civilizations

The  STAR  TREK:  ENTERPRISE    THE  COMPLETE  FIRST  SEASON  Blu-ray  includes

all  25  episodes  from  the  inaugural  season  and  will  be  available  in  1080p  with  English  5.1  DTS-

HD  Master  Audio,  German  and  Italian  5.1  (Dolby  Digital),  and  French,  Castilian  and  Japanese

Stereo   Surround   (Dolby   Digital).    The   discs   also   include   English   SDH,   French,   German,

Castilian,   Italian,   Japanese,   Danish,   Dutch,   Finnish,   Norwegian   and   Swedish   subtitles.   The

Blu-ray   is   not   rated   in   the   U.S.   and   rated   PG   in   Canada,   and   it   will   be   available   for   the

suggested retail price of $130.00 U.S. and $150.00 Canada.   The disc breakdown is as follows:

Disc One:

Episodes

·    Broken Bow

·    Fight or Flight

·    Strange New World

Special Features

·     Audio  Commentary  with  co-creator/executive  producer  Brannon  Braga,  director  James

L.   Conway,   visual   effects   producer   Dan   Curry   and   cast   members   Connor   Trinneer

(Trip Tucker) and Dominic Keating (Malcolm Reed) on “Broken Bow”—NEW!

·     Audio Commentary with Brannon Braga and Rick Berman on “Broken Bow”

·     Text Commentary by Michael and Denise Okuda on “Broken Bow”

·     Deleted Scenes from “Broken Bow” (SD)

·     Deleted Scenes from “Fight or Flight” (SD)

·     In Conversation: Rick Berman and Brannon Braga—NEW! (HD)

·     Archival Mission Log: Creating Enterprise (SD)

·     Archival Mission Log: O Captain! My Captain! A Profile of Scott Bakula (SD)

·     Archival Mission Log: NX-01 File 02 (SD)

·     Cast Introduction—NEW (SD)

·     Network Presentation—NEW (SD)

·     Syndication Presentation—NEW (SD)

Disc Two:

Episodes

·     Unexpected

·     Terra Nova

·     The Andorian Incident

·     Breaking the Ice

·     Civilization

Special Features

·     Deleted Scene from “Unexpected” (SD)

·     Text Commentary by Michael and Denise Okuda on “The Andorian Incident”

·     Archival Mission Log: Cast Impressions: Season 1 (SD)

·     Archival Mission Log: Enterprise Secrets (SD)

Disc Three:

Episodes

·     Fortunate Son

·     Cold Front

·     Silent Enemy

·     Dear Doctor

·     Sleeping Dogs

Special Features

·    Audio  commentary  with  writer/story  editor  André  Bormanis  and  visual  effects  producer

Dan Curry on “Silent Enemy”—NEW!

·    Deleted Scene from “Sleeping Dogs” (SD)

·    Archival Mission Log: Star Trek Time Travel: Temporal Cold Wars and Beyond (SD)

·    Archival Mission Log: Admiral Forrest Takes Center Stage (SD)

Disc Four:

Episodes

·    Shadows of P’Jem

·    Shuttlepod One

·    Fusion

·    Rogue Planet

·    Acquisition

Special Features

·    Audio   Commentary   with   writers/executive   story   editors   Mike   Sussman   and   Phyllis

Strong on “Shadows of P’Jem”—NEW!

Audio  Commentary  with  co-creator/executive  producer  Brannon  Braga,  director  David

Livingston   and   cast   members   Connor   Trinneer   (Trip   Tucker)   and   Dominic   Keating

(Malcolm Reed) on “Shuttlepod One”—NEW!

·     Deleted Scene from “Shuttlepod One” (SD)

·     Archival Mission Log: Inside Shuttlepod One (SD)

·     Archival Mission Log: NX-01 File 01 (SD)

·     Archival Mission Log: NX-01 File 03 (SD)

Disc Five:

Episodes

·    Oasis

·    Detained

·    Vox Sola

·    Fallen Hero

·    Desert Crossing

Special Features

·    Deleted Scenes from “Oasis” (SD)

·    Deleted Scenes from “Fallen Hero” (SD)

·    Text Commentary by Michael and Denise Okuda on “Vox Sola”

·    Archival Mission Log: Enterprise Outtakes (SD)

·    On The Set NEW (SD)

Disc Six:

Episodes

·    Two Days and Two Nights

·    Shockwave, Part 1

Special Features

·    Deleted Scene from “Two Days and Two Nights” (SD)

·    Deleted Scenes from “Shockwave, Part 1” (SD)

·    Documentary: “To Boldly Go: Launching Enterprise”—NEW! (HD)

o    Part 1: Countdown

o    Part 2: Boarding the NX-01

o    Part 3: First Flight

·    Archival Mission Log: Celebrating Star Trek® (SD)

CBS   Home   Entertainment   manages   the   worldwide   DVD   and   Blu-ray   businesses   for   the   CBS

Corporation across all lines of content including current hits and classic series from the vast CBS library,

as  well  as  new  releases  from  Showtime  Video.   CBS  Home  Entertainment  products  are  released  on  the

CBS DVD and CBS Blu-ray labels.

Paramount Home Media Distribution (PHMD) is part of Paramount Pictures Corporation (PPC), a

global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment.   PPC is a unit of Viacom (NASDAQ: VIAB, VIA), a

leading  content  company  with  prominent  and  respected  film,  television  and  digital  entertainment  brands.

The  PHMD  division  oversees  PPC’s  home  entertainment,  digital  and  television  distribution  activities

worldwide.  The  division  is  responsible  for  the  sales,  marketing  and  distribution  of  home  entertainment

content   on   behalf   of   Paramount   Pictures,   Paramount   Animation,   Paramount   Vantage,   Paramount

Classics,  Insurge  Pictures,  MTV,  Nickelodeon,  Comedy  Central,  CBS  and  PBS  and  for  providing  home

entertainment  fulfillment  services  for  DreamWorks  Animation  Home  Entertainment.   PHMD  additionally

manages   global   licensing   of   studio   content   and   distribution   across   worldwide   digital   and   television

distribution platforms including online, mobile and portable devices and emerging technologies.

STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE - THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON

Street Date:                                            March 26, 2013

Suggest retail price:                          $130.00 US / $150.00 CAN

Catalog #:                                                136594

Runtime:                                                   19 hours, 9 minutes

U.S. Rating:                                            Not Rated

CAN Rating:                                            PG

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 77 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,809 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted January 07 2013 - 12:47 PM

The only thing I'm seeing missing here are episode trailers.  That's a bummer, considering all of TOS and TNG (so far) have had them on the BD's.

#3 of 77 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,895 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted January 07 2013 - 01:30 PM

I always meant to watch this when it was on.  Looks like I will have a chance after all!

#4 of 77 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted January 07 2013 - 01:58 PM

I love Enterprise, and watch it frequently on Netflix.... not sure why it gets so much hate from Trek fans. I might consider investing in this if the price is right.

#5 of 77 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,475 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 07 2013 - 02:16 PM

I loved Season One very much. I thought the show got mishandled and misguided a bit as it ran, but that first season for me was stellar.

#6 of 77 OFFLINE   ScottHM

ScottHM

Second Unit

• 319 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted January 07 2013 - 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Craig Beam 

.... not sure why it gets so much hate from Trek fans.

Interesting.  I'm not sure why it's not obvious.  Posted Image

But to each his own.

---------------

#7 of 77 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,809 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted January 08 2013 - 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Craig Beam 

not sure why it gets so much hate from Trek fans.

To answer the question, at least for me: Enterprise S1 and S2 were, largely, a continuation of the way things were done on Voyager.  One episode doesn't really impact the next in any way, they're all taking place quasi-independent of each other.  (Yes, there are exceptions.)

It was also the writing: there were no surprises for me.  Take "Unexpected."  That is a sitcom plot grafted onto a Star Trek framework.  It may have been new and controversial in the 60s with TOS, but not in 2001.  What would have made the episode more relevant to the time would have been if the alien was a male and the story continued from there...or something along those lines.  Enterprise was usually was too safe.  And there are times it could be deadly dull (just like Voyager).

Two other shows debuted the same year Enterprise did and ran for many, many more years: 24 and Smallville.  What made them succeed when Enterprise didn't?  24 dared to do things differently, to shake up the world.  Smallville, for all its faults, had a continuing storyline in a number of its seasons and was true to its comic book roots.

Enterprise finally got to that point in S3 and I found that to be a success, mostly.  S4 was also lovely, but it was more of a tribute to the franchise as a whole than anything wholly Enterprise.

#8 of 77 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,279 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 01:43 AM

Now available for preorder

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#9 of 77 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,809 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted January 08 2013 - 02:16 AM

Thanks Ron.  Just pre-ordered.  It'll be a nice birthday week present for me.  Posted Image

#10 of 77 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,391 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 09:42 AM

Awfully pricey...

#11 of 77 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,809 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted January 08 2013 - 09:47 AM

And that price is destined to come down at least $10, if not more, before release date.  They all have.

#12 of 77 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted January 09 2013 - 11:30 AM

And that price is destined to come down at least $10, if not more, before release date.  They all have.

Yes, it likely will, but it will need to get down a lot more than that before I'll bite. TNG is one thing, with all the restoration costs I'll cut the pricing some slack.

#13 of 77 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,809 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted January 09 2013 - 03:32 PM

Very true.  I don't think Amazon or BB is going to make the same distinction, though.  It will come down, and far, for anyone who is willing to wait.

#14 of 77 OFFLINE   DaveHof

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator

• 212 posts

Posted January 09 2013 - 04:05 PM

'Enterprise' does get a bad rap. I think one issue was that viewers had a steady dose of new Star Trek in their lives for - what- 15 years prior to its debut? There was probably some burnout by that point. Plus, many of the most outspoken Trek fans are far more demanding and nit-picky than your average television viewer. But the series assembled a fairly solid cast and every season had its share of memorable episodes. And, as has been well documented, it's final season was consistently excellent (except for the atrocious final episode), and it seemed as if cast and crew had hit their stride just before the axe fell. If it had earned seven seasons like the previous Trek series, I believe it's reputation would be much, much better now.

#15 of 77 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,563 posts

Posted January 10 2013 - 01:51 AM

'Enterprise' does get a bad rap. I think one issue was that viewers had a steady dose of new Star Trek in their lives for - what- 15 years prior to its debut? There was probably some burnout by that point. Plus, many of the most outspoken Trek fans are far more demanding and nit-picky than your average television viewer. But the series assembled a fairly solid cast and every season had its share of memorable episodes. And, as has been well documented, it's final season was consistently excellent (except for the atrocious final episode), and it seemed as if cast and crew had hit their stride just before the axe fell. If it had earned seven seasons like the previous Trek series, I believe it's reputation would be much, much better now.

I dunno what it was that I didn't like about it. I gave it a shot, but I thought the production values looked cheap, Scott Bakula was not very charismatic IMO, and I didn't like the music. The sum of it's parts just didn't click for me. I thought that Janeway and Chakotay were more compelling characters than Archer and T'Pol. JMO.
See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#16 of 77 OFFLINE   ScottHM

ScottHM

Second Unit

• 319 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted January 10 2013 - 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Richard V 

I dunno what it was that I didn't like about it.

I'll admit that I watched it regularly but didn't like it very much (old habits die hard.)  Besides their deliberate attempt to distance it from previous Star Trek incarnations, which I didn't care for, I found that a week after viewing each episode I could barely remember anything about it.

---------------

#17 of 77 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,908 posts

Posted January 10 2013 - 10:11 AM

I was disappointed in the show when it first aired (except for the 4th season, which I thought was excellent from start to finish, minus the finale), but I rewatched the show on DVD a few years back and really enjoyed it; so glad I gave it another chance. I'm in for all four seasons on blu-ray.

#18 of 77 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,809 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted January 10 2013 - 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by ScottHM 

I'll admit that I watched it regularly but didn't like it very much (old habits die hard.)  Besides their deliberate attempt to distance it from previous Star Trek incarnations, which I didn't care for, I found that a week after viewing each episode I could barely remember anything about it.

---------------

I think that's a symptom of two things: (1) going right from Voyager into Enterprise with largely the same creative staff and (2) 700-something hours of TV Trek when Enterprise wrapped.  There wasn't a lot to make any particular episode memorable, especially in years 1 and 2.  They'd use the same jungle set, the same cave set, the same guest actors...over and over and over again.

Even when they tried to connect the episodes to something else in the Trek universe, they failed for me.  The Ferengi episode Acquisition and the Borg episode Regeneration were prime examples of skirting ever-so-close to trampling on continuity.  No one had any guts to make Enterprise completely different, which is a shame.  The last 14 seasons of Trek (VOY and ENT) were just not-so-veiled variations on the TOS and TNG theme.

#19 of 77 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,177 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted January 10 2013 - 02:29 PM

I think that's a symptom of two things: (1) going right from Voyager into Enterprise with largely the same creative staff and (2) 700-something hours of TV Trek when Enterprise wrapped.  There wasn't a lot to make any particular episode memorable, especially in years 1 and 2.  They'd use the same jungle set, the same cave set, the same guest actors...over and over and over again.  Even when they tried to connect the episodes to something else in the Trek universe, they failed for me.  The Ferengi episode Acquisition and the Borg episode Regeneration were prime examples of skirting ever-so-close to trampling on continuity.  No one had any guts to make Enterprise completely different, which is a shame.  The last 14 seasons of Trek (VOY and ENT) were just not-so-veiled variations on the TOS and TNG theme.

I just never could get into any of the post-TNG shows. I watched TNG on a semi-regular basis and I love TOS and watch it daily on Netflix. Everything else just seemed like a takeoff of TNG to me.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#20 of 77 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,809 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted January 10 2013 - 03:00 PM

I can understand that. To be fair, they ARE all spinoffs of TNG in some way (except for ENT).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Paramount

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users