What's new

Required features on new A/V receiver ? (1 Viewer)

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I want to buy a new A/V receiver soon, and I'm wondering what features do you guys think I should look for, for the future? Thanks.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
USB. I would say 6/8 channel input...but even the Onkyo 5010 dropped it... Programmable remote(then you may not need an aftermarket) 12v trigger pre-outs(main channels. If you have a channel die internally...you won't care)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Jim Mcc said:
What is 6/8 channel input?
5.1 or 7.1 analog inputs for use when the player does the decoding. Popular in the DVD-A/SACD days. They are disappearing from receivers these days.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Manditory? A high quality previous owner :) . (I buy most of my stuff on the used market). Don't like used? A low price and a 5 year extended warranty like a refurb from ac4l (5 year warranty $50). What I need is good, clean power. On Screen Display of volume and other adjustments. 4 hdmi inputs. 6/8 analog inputs, preferrably with bass management . Regular 2 channel analog inputs. Volume trim level button on the remote. Direct or Pure Audio mode. I also like having good quality matching equipment (cd, dvd, br players). They look good in the rack :) . Pioneer Elite, Marantz and Denon are good for that. Integra never really had a good BR player. Ease of setup and operation is manditory. Room correction/eq is now on almost every model. In all reality, this question has a different answer for every one asking and answering it. It all depends on what you hook up to it and how you use it. I'm all about audio. Video features can be nice but I can do without them. And I really don't care about all the new fancy gadgets on todays receivers (yet) but most others want/need at least some of them. I would say just avoid the bottom one or two of any brands lineup. The second one or third one up should have just about anything you really need. Phono pre-amps are hard to find on anything these days. The Pioneer Elite vsx-23 (and matching 58av universal dvd and bdp-23 br players) has been real solid unit in my "everyday" system. I also have a Marantz 6005, 7006 br and 4003 cd player in my livingroom. Excellent all-around but they don't have that "Marantz" sound anymore (thanks, Denon :rolleyes: ) so I'm on the hunt for an older 8002/7002. My favorites right now (subject to change without notice)? Onkyo 809 when on-sale at Amazon (it's $659 now). Onkyo 709 refurb @ ac4l.com ($459). Marantz 5006/6006 refurb @ ac4l.com ($499/$699 but still too expensive because of the Marantz name), Denon 1712 @ ac4l ($299) and the Harman kardon 3600 refurb on their ebay site ($399 shipped) but quality control issues have me worried. Looks good on paper though. Their amp section and sound quality is almost worth the risk. Almost. Yamaha's are probably excellent receivers but they don't allow them to be discounted much and there are no refurbs on the market so they seem to be more expensive then the competition. There is no perfect receiver, for me anyay. It's a matter of compromise.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
gene c said:
5.1 or 7.1 analog inputs for use when the player does the decoding. Popular in the DVD-A/SACD days. They are disappearing from receivers these days.
OK. I've always heard those referred to as " 5.1 channel analog inputs". Thanks guys. I may buy a refurb, but not used. It depends on the prices of the 2013 models when they come out.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Back in the "old days" when AVR themselves were powering the subwoofer(this was before optical became "common")...6 channel started popping up. It was called 6 channel because you "could" put any channel input anywhere you wanted. Meaning the "subwoofer" input was full channel just like the rest were...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Finally found an example... This AVR "could be" used as a 6 channel amplifier for multiroom use...because of the DVD 6 Channel(as it was called back when)... This thing is 100x6... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Technics-Stereo-Receiver-SA-AX920-100W-x-6-Dolby-Digital-Ready-MULTI-ROOM-READY-/160949410711?pt=US_Stereo_Receivers&hash=item2579551b97 So, yeah, you could "swap" the center and subwoofer...and get the same result(provided you swapped what you had connected to the speaker terminals).

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
SAM, let us get back on topic please !! :) What about the following? These will probably be on all 2013 receivers, correct? 1) 3D Pass Thru 2) Audio Return Channel 3) HDMI Standby Pass Thru 4) 4K Pass Thru

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
No. 4....no. 1 and 2 are what makes HDMI 1.4 spec....HDMI 1.4. 3. Different receivers that have it, implement it differently. Some are "whatever HDMI it was on when it went into standby". Others have "Standby Switching".

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I know no receivers are "future proof", but which features should I look for that will be reasonably future proof? Thanks.

Brainwasher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Luke
Of all of them, I think 4k is pushing the most. Bigger screens, more resolution. The sound is pushing the edge. Everyone wants film quality resolution. They are talking huge "non projector" screens. I see that coming next. Sorry Sam, but its really the only thing I have seen new. Everything else seems media crazed, and just updated. I want more meat and potatoes! More than 5 watts per channel over previous models. So in my opinion : 1). Okay, we got 3D, just make it better ie.....240hz each side standard, no glasses req. 2). Should be standard now 3). Again should be standard 4). Cutting edge film, everyone gets in on larger displays.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
HDMI has taken over audio and video connections. It seems to have stalled at version 1.4 for the time being. While 6/8 channel analog inputs were the "future proof" connection of the past they are disappearing from receivers as well. And they don't support Front Height or Width either. I like to think of them, and regular two channel analog inputs, as more of preserving the past rather than being usefull for future advances*. Like a few others around here, I still enjoy stereo music in Pure Analog and at least like having the option of the 6/8's in case I ever get another OPPO 83SE or 105 etc. I think future proofing has more to do with having enough HDMI inputs, and outputs, as well as any other connections you may need for the older equipment may want to hook up to it later on. Also, do you for-see using the Front Heights or Widths in the future? If so, then you need the appropriate number of amplifier channels and speaker outputs. It looks like my needs have topped out with HDMI 1.3 and 5.1 channels of amplification. Onkyo tried it in the past and NAD has one now, a receiver with replaceable moduals. But Onkyo realized selling a new receiver is more profitable than developing new moduals for older receivers so they just stopped supporting it, to the horror of those who spent $3000-$4000 on it in the first place. I'm sorta stuck in a quandy myself. I love the way my Marantz 6005, 7006 BluRay and 4003 cd changer operate. And I only replaced the 5005 I bought in the first place for the on-screen display of volume and dsp modes etc. But Marantz changed the dsp chip in the 5005/6005/7005 and it lost that signature "Marantz" sound that I :yum: about the 7002 I used to have (which was much more difficult to operate). Un-fortunately, the 6004 doesn't have that on-screen display thing that I really do need. I also like the way Pioneer receiver operate but again, the models I have had in the past don't on-screen display. Their front panel display is almost large enough for me to see but I think my vision will get worse from here, not better :P . Maybe the new line of Pioneer receivers will have it but they just don't seem the same. Bottom line is, there is no perfect receiver. It's all about compromises. * Dolby is coming out with a new surround mode (Atmos) and it wouldn't surprise me if DTS is also working on something. Phono pre-amps aren't really necessary because they can easily be added on. 1.4 supports 4K resolution so I just don't see anything major on the horizon that requires more then 1.4.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That, by the way, is what we go through at every price point. HDMI 1.4 brought ARC and 3D. I don't care about either 1. I laughed out loud the first time I saw a projector HDMI labeled "ARC"(yes there is 1). Point being, none of us know when HDMI 1.5 is coming. What "new advancement" will that be? WiDi support? (I hope so) Atmos for the home? Maybe OLED will be power efficient enough it would run on the power supplied by the HDMI(technically that is "already here", but nobody uses it)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Since I'm using a phone that I can't "edit"... The ability to power secondary devices over HDMI "arrived" with HDMI 1.4. Imagine a BD player or a Roku box that only needed HDMI. No power cord to the wall. The power would be "live" as long as the "other device" itself was connected to the wall. What stopped it? California "green" initiatives and the manufacturers desires to have

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks