What's new

Choice of new sub is limited by size of cabinet (1 Viewer)

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
I would like to get a 12" sub within the $250 range, but I am limited by the size of the cabinet it must fit into; although, I will take it out of the cabinet when in use. The cabinet is 18" deep and 14.5" wide. Room is tiled flooring and is ~15 X 15 with a peaked ceiling of about 12'; and is open on one end. I am not an audiophile (but of course like to listen to all types of music), will be watching mostly HDTV and movies (want reasonable LF effects, but probably won't be blasting the sub to its upper limits). Because of this strict size limitation and budget, there are only a few subs that appear to fit my requirements, and I would very much appreciate your help in my selection of a new sub. So far, here are some subs that I found that will fit into my cabinet. My audio system is Yamaha RXV800, 10 year old Paradigm Cinema rears, Paradigm Monitor fronts and Paradign center channel. The selected subs range from 8" to 12" (down and front firing, doesn't make any difference to me). All have at least 100 watt RMS. My problem is figuring out which one will be most reliable and get me closest to reasonable (don't have to be awesome) LF effects considering my room and audio system. JBL P10SW (10") JBL ES150 (10") HSU STF-1 (8" sub, over budget at $299) Lava LSP-10 (10") Lava LSP-12 (over budget at $338) Klipsch KSW-10 (over budget at ($288) Velodyne VX-11 (10")

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
I've narrowed my choice to the two Lava's. Spoke with a Lava rep and she said that both would give reasonable LF effects in my room, much depended on the output of my mains. I thought I had Paradigm Atoms, but I don't; I have Mini-Monitors V.2 that put out 70 watts RMS and a frequency range of 63-2000Hz - definitely need a sub, eh. Her thoughts were one doesn't want to overpower the mains. Will be giving her the above info tomorrow to see what she recommends. What say you folks given the specs for the mains?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Speakers don't "put out watts". What matters is efficiency. The current Mini is 90db at 1 watt. I have no idea if that relates to yours. But efficiency and extension are ALL THAT MATTER. Pick a sub, either are going to be "close" to the PDR 10.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
You're going to remove it from the cabinet for every use, then return it after every use? EVERY time you put the stereo on? :confused: Do you really think that's a realistic plan? I've never heard any of those subs, but I really like my BIC F-12 sub.

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
Probably would have gone for the BIC F-12, but it won't fit in my cabinet. Spoke again with the Lava rep and told her that my front s speakers run at 70 watts RMS, that my receiver does 100 watts RMS (minimum) per channel, and that the listening area is essentially 15X15 (but is opened out to another 25' on one side)l. She said that the LSP-12 would match well and fill the area with LF sound without overpowering the front speakers. I'm getting ready to order ($338-15% and free shipping), but first would appreciate any possible further comments.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
flycaster said:
She said that the LSP-12 would match well and fill the area with LF sound without overpowering the front speakers.
I recommend dual 18" subs. Properly calibrated, they will fill the area with LF sound without overpowering the front speakers.

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
Robert_J said:
I recommend dual 18" subs. Properly calibrated, they will fill the area with LF sound without overpowering the front speakers.
RJ, I don't doubt that what you are suggesting is optimal. However, given that I am definitely limited to one sub (already over budget), I think that a single 12-incher will be the best that I can do. And, as I am not an audiophile, nor will I be blasting things, and I realize that LF effects will be lacking to various extents, the LPS-12 seems to fit the bill best at this moment.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You missed my point completely. No sub, no matter how many or how large, can over power the main speakers IF the system is properly calibrated. The Lava sub should work out great.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm trying to figure out where he found a minimum 100watt RMS receiver. Damn that thing must be godawfully loud if you can't turn it down...

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
schan1269 said:
I'm trying to figure out where he found a minimum 100watt RMS receiver. Damn that thing must be godawfully loud if you can't turn it down...
Picky, picky, picky... Come on, give a newbie a break.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Jim Mcc said:
You're going to remove it from the cabinet for every use, then return it after every use? EVERY time you put the stereo on? :confused: Do you really think that's a realistic plan?
Adam?

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
Yeah, Jim, this is a bone of contention. Fearful of going wireless in that if I do, the only placement for the transmitter is right next to a bunch of other wireless stuff, and I'm afraid of getting interference (have read that this is a distinct possibility). My only other option is to place the sub partially behind the couch, opposite the entertainment center, and then run a 25-30' RCA cable from the center>around the sliding glass doors. I know that there are cable covers I could use, but this is in my living room and I am concerned that the exposed cable cover just won't look appropriate in my living room.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
So your molding around the sliding door looks out of place? Cordmate(hardly the only brand) is... 1. Paintable. You can choose to match the wall, or the molding. 2. Comes in various sizes/textures. 3. Can either "stick to the wall" with tape or be nailed in.

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
i've seen pictures of Cordmate and will have to look at it in person to see if I am willing to use it. And if I decide to use it, then I will have to also consider the BIC F-12. One of the main reasons that I am strongly considering the Lava 12 was that it would fit into my entertainments cabinet. But if i don't use it there (will take out when in use), and I'm willing to run a wire, then I guess I've got to go back and consider some of the other recommended 12" woofers.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Many of my clients see my bills and I use a section called "misc"...(believe it or not, I get clients who just "write a check") Misc, for me, applies to HDMI, speaker wire and all the other "unknown" till you get there(like blades for a sawzall)... I ALWAYS use fresh saw blades in the sawzall and jigsaw. I charge the customer for them, under misc. One of my last installs(I don't do very many of my own...I'm usually too busy designing them) the customer racked up $750 in misc. He wanted to know how there was that much of it. I used $600 in Cordmate. He didn't even know it was in the room till I pointed out the nearly 200 feet of it. Stucco walls(so you can't do "in-wall") running 7.1 plus height. All 9 speakers were wired where the Cordmate just looked like a binding seam between sections of stucco. I even used more Cordmate than necessary. It ran all the way up the wall. In essence, once I was done, it looked like I just placed the speakers where there were already joiners. Nope...I faked the joiners with the Cordmate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks