Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

HTF Awards 2012: Nominations for Worst Studio 2012

HTF Awards 2012

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 of 57 OFFLINE   Anthony Neilson

Anthony Neilson

Tony N

• 1,020 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted January 08 2013 - 01:28 AM

Have to go with HAMMER PARAMOUNT, who - despite being generous with their licensing - put up such a poor show for their Centenary UNIVERSAL for their inconsistency
I've been going to bed early . . .

#22 of 57 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,256 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 02:13 AM

Universal Paramount Olive

#23 of 57 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,121 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 04:08 AM

Universal and Olive were the most active issuers of catalog films on blu ray in 2012. Sure, some of Universal releases had problems, but many others were top notch (Jaws, Dracula, Frankenstein). Cummulatively, I'm sure Universal spent millions of dollars on restoration. Olive has shown consistent improvement since beginning to release films. All of their releases were better than anything issued previously, and many of their releases never would have come out in any form but for their efforts. These are not just bad, but ridiculous nominations imo.

#24 of 57 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,121 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 04:08 AM

Universal and Olive were the most active issuers of catalog films on blu ray in 2012. Sure, some of Universal releases had problems, but many others were top notch (Jaws, Dracula, Frankenstein). Cummulatively, I'm sure Universal spent millions of dollars on restoration. Olive has shown consistent improvement since beginning to release films. All of their releases were better than anything issued previously, and many of their releases never would have come out in any form but for their efforts. These are not just bad, but ridiculous nominations imo.

#25 of 57 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,121 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 04:12 AM

please delete the duplicate posts

#26 of 57 OFFLINE   rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 910 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted January 08 2013 - 07:01 AM

Universal

#27 of 57 OFFLINE   Claus Nielsen

Claus Nielsen

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted January 09 2013 - 08:41 AM

Universal

#28 of 57 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted January 09 2013 - 10:54 AM

MGM - for their ongoing refusal to save John Wayne's epic, The Alamo
See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#29 of 57 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted January 09 2013 - 11:36 AM

VCI (Refusing to acknowledge problems with their discs after several communications with them about it.)

#30 of 57 OFFLINE   willyTass

willyTass

Second Unit

• 361 posts

Posted January 10 2013 - 01:15 AM

universal

#31 of 57 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted January 10 2013 - 04:59 PM

20th Century Fox (Dis)honorable Mentions Universal MGM Edited to comply with Rule #2

#32 of 57 OFFLINE   Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted January 10 2013 - 06:30 PM

MGM (Mainly for the Bond set which, like the Hitchcock set, seems more like a quick cash-in than a quality tribute)
Although it's somewhat pricey, I'd rather have this Blu-Ray set then nothing at all, especially for the extras (like the inclusion of the TV special Welcome To Japan, Mr. Bond on the Blu-Ray of You Only Live Twice.) My only problem is, when I'll ever be able to get this set, although that's been mitigated by having the Blu-Ray DVD's be available separately.

#33 of 57 OFFLINE   Mr Cinema

Mr Cinema

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted January 11 2013 - 03:15 AM

This is an easy choice. SONY The co-founder of Blu-ray has basically vanished from the catalog market. Excluding that rare A-list release, they don't give us anything these days. Instead, they farm out product through Twilight Time rather than handle the distribution themselves. $30 for Christine? No thanks. They were even too scared to directly release a major hit like As Good As It Gets featuring one of the best actors in history.

#34 of 57 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,121 posts

Posted January 11 2013 - 09:58 AM

If Universal had only released the material they got right or largely right (e.g., monsters, jaws, mockingbird, some of the Hitchcock titles like Shadow of Doubt), everyone would be saying that they were the best studio for 2012. They need to put more effort into the TCM program and they failed to pay enough attention to the Hitchcock box, so they deserve some lumps, but it is really unfair to label them the worst studio when they invested millions of dollars and did a lot of really great work. On the other hand, with the exception of Wings, and not counting the Olive deal, Paramount had a Centennial Year devoted to issuing a few off the shelf masters on blu ray. In some cases (Sunset Boulevard), they looked pretty good, but that seemed to owe more to the efforts of 2009 than 2012. At any rate, I think that the swipes at Universal have passed from fair criticism to overly negative complaining.

#35 of 57 OFFLINE   rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 910 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted January 11 2013 - 12:01 PM

If Universal had only released the material they got right or largely right (e.g., monsters, jaws, mockingbird, some of the Hitchcock titles like Shadow of Doubt), everyone would be saying that they were the best studio for 2012. They need to put more effort into the TCM program and they failed to pay enough attention to the Hitchcock box, so they deserve some lumps, but it is really unfair to label them the worst studio when they invested millions of dollars and did a lot of really great work. On the other hand, with the exception of Wings, and not counting the Olive deal, Paramount had a Centennial Year devoted to issuing a few off the shelf masters on blu ray. In some cases (Sunset Boulevard), they looked pretty good, but that seemed to owe more to the efforts of 2009 than 2012. At any rate, I think that the swipes at Universal have passed from fair criticism to overly negative complaining.
I did not ask Universal to release a lot of titles this last year. I only asked that whatever they released, that they do an excellent job. Titles like Vertigo, The Man Who Knew Too Much, and Marnie deserve the very best. If they couldn't get it done along with their other schedule, I will wait. Sony had Lawrence of Arabia ready to go some years ago, and decided to wait until a new digital scan could be done instead of using their existing digital element. I really appreciate this effort to do it right. Universal has the largest number of missed opportunities of any studio, perhaps even as many as the rest of the majors combined.

#36 of 57 OFFLINE   revgen

revgen

Supporting Actor

• 521 posts

Posted January 11 2013 - 12:54 PM

Fox - Their MOD program is awful I don't get the hate towards Universal. I loved Wings (1927), All Quiet on the Western Front (1930), and the Universal Monsters Restorations. I know they could have done a better job with the Hitchcock collection, but I don't see how that makes them the worst studio. I guess there are a lot of Hitchcock connoisseurs here.

#37 of 57 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,391 posts

Posted January 11 2013 - 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by revgen  Fox - Their MOD program is awful I don't get the hate towards Universal. I loved Wings (1927), All Quiet on the Western Front (1930), and the Universal Monsters Restorations. I know they could have done a better job with the Hitchcock collection, but I don't see how that makes them the worst studio. I guess there are a lot of Hitchcock connoisseurs here.
That was a Paramount release...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#38 of 57 OFFLINE   Escapay

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator

• 239 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Time and Space

Posted January 11 2013 - 06:20 PM

Disney Paramount Sony

#39 of 57 OFFLINE   Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted January 11 2013 - 08:24 PM

As far as I'm concerned, NOBODY should be complaining about Universal; I just bought their 100th anniversary BLU-Ray version of Animal House, and it's amazing, as are all of the other ones released under the same banner.

#40 of 57 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,150 posts

Posted January 11 2013 - 11:10 PM

Why is there any discussion in a thread whose rules explicitly state there be no discussion? The purpose of these threads is to list nominated studios only.  No discussion. I have deleted posts from this thread.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users