What's new

new XPA-5 speaker hum (1 Viewer)

Real Name
mac
Alright, have had my new XPA-5 hooked up to my home theatre for a couple days now. I have to say I love the amp. I can easily tell the speakers are getting the power they need and it seems without effort. Now my complaint. I'm getting a hum from the speakers that is audible from 9 feet away at my listening position. It comes from all speakers. Doesn't matter what the volume is at (with no source content) At the moment I'm chalking it up to be just the give and take for getting an amp like this for 769 shipped. If I had a 5k amp I'd expect that not to happen. For less than 800 yeah maybe. The XPA-5 has no hum. Just from the speakers. It's not a hiss, definitely a humm. It comes from all speakers minus sub. Naturally I can't hear it all when content is playing. But when it's not it's definitely noticeable (at least to me). I did not get this from the speakers when it was just my avr. speakers are all definitive, mythos sts, mythos nine, gem XL's 21txh receiver supercube I subwoofer Sure maybe it's a wire here or there. But I used shielded wires for the amp hook up. I've read threads that guys say they get a hiss or the xpa-5 itself hums. I don't have any of that.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I think what you're referring to is the hum from electrical wires. One thing worth trying is to use a cheater plug on any 3 prong equipment in your setup - see if that eliminates it. This doesn't sound like a ground loop issue because of the sub being quiet - but there are products out there for hum filtering you could consider like the Ebtech Hum-X.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks