What's new

Epson 3020 vs 5020 vs 6020 (1 Viewer)

arjunsud

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arjun Sud
Hi everyone ! I am upgrading to a new projector and with the help of some of the members on this site I have narrowed it down to one of these 3 models but I was confused in regards to which one i should get . Does the 6020 justify the almost 2000 increase ? Is the 3020 just as good ( practically unless you have a trained eye ) ? What do you guys recommend ? And why ? Any help will be sincerely appreciated .

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The 5020 is the exact same projector internally as the 6020. The difference is the 6020 is only sold by install dealers, comes with a spare bulb and ceiling mount, and has a 3 year warranty. I would not pay the extra money for it. So it comes down to the 3020 vs. 5020. If the 5020 is within your budget, it's a much better projector than the 3020. Read the reviews on both at Projectorcentral.com and Projectorreviews.com and you will see why. Keep in mind, the 3020 does not have lens shift, and the 5020 does.

arjunsud

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arjun Sud
Thank You so much!! I was just reading the reviews and I am still not sure exactly why the 5020 is better. Yes it seems to have some hardware upgrades but so does a iphone 5 comared to a 4s , it is however marginal and only incremental. Now i am far more knowledgeable with those phones than i am with projectors and hence defer to your experience sir. From a practical Perspective , what justifies the extra $$? Can i really tell the difference with the picture quality? Also do you reccomend the e version with wireless HD or just the regular? I am not as worried about budget as I am with finding a projector that is good as a long term investment ( when choosing between the 2 ) , also what would you say the maximum screen size is? I have read different things on different websites about Max Screen Size and thought i would differ it to someone with far more experience/ knowledge than me. Thank You once again!!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'd skip the wireless if you don't know that you absolutely must have it. Do you need lens shift? If so the 5020 is your only bet. Can a layman appreciate ghe quality difference? Reviews say yes, especially for better black levels. I havent seen either, so can't give my opinion, but am planning on a 5020 or panasonic 8000 simply cause shift is not optiknal for me. Did you see the lens shift video I put in the other thread?

arjunsud

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arjun Sud
Sounds good ! I'm going to pass on the wireless, I am a power user so better than a beginner or amateur but I also know that I'm far from an expert. I have lens shift on my current 8350 and its a nice feature but what I really want is keystone ( even though I know it degrades quality ) How does the pana compare to this one ? Also practically speaking , are lens shift and black level ( 40:000 - 200,000) the only noticeable differences ? What is the largest screen size that the projector is capable of projecting onto. So if I understand you correctly the 5020 is the best of the 3 if I don't need the extra bulb and mount ?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
You really need to compare feature by feature to see which best fits your needs. The main advantages of the 5020 are lens shift, higher contrast, and MUCH better black levels. If you are not using the projector in a dedicated, dark room, save the money and buy the 3020. BUT if you do, remember, when ceiling mounted, the 3020's lens would need to be level with the top of image. The E-version is worth it if you cannot easily run an HDMI cable to the projector. Otherwise, I would recommend the standard 3020. Screen size is based on your seating distance from screen, which you didn't give. Generally, you multiply the screen width X 1.5 for your seating distance. EX: 8' wide screen(110" diagonal) X 1.5 = 12' seating distance.

arjunsud

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arjun Sud
Wow ! That is so insightful ! Thank you !!! You have no idea how much easier you have made this for me !! So I will for the sake of future proofing then go for the 5020 ! But it is in every way the same as the 6020 spec wise yes ? Also I have 131 inches between my projector lens and my screen . I currently have a 92" but want to upgrade . What is the largest size you could recommend to me ? Do you know how large the 5020 is capable of ? I googled it but keep getting different answers :-/

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
arjunsud said:
Wow ! That is so insightful ! Thank you !!! You have no idea how much easier you have made this for me !! So I will for the sake of future proofing then go for the 5020 ! But it is in every way the same as the 6020 spec wise yes ? Also I have 131 inches between my projector lens and my screen . I currently have a 92" but want to upgrade . What is the largest size you could recommend to me ? Do you know how large the 5020 is capable of ? I googled it but keep getting different answers :-/
Yes, the 5020 and 6020 are the same projector spec wise. Like I said above, screen size is based on your seating distance. WHAT IS IT? With the lens at 11' from screen, the 5020 can produce an image up to 113" diagonal.

arjunsud

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arjun Sud
Sorry ! My bad ! It is basically 135 images as well . 1BR really small apartment . I am buying this one for now and for next year when i get a house.

arjunsud

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arjun Sud
Also Jim what about the Panasonic PT-AE8000 Projector what do you think between the 5020 and the AE8000?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
With an 11' seating distance, your screen size should be about 100" diagonal. The Pan. 8000 is also a very nice projector. With a 11' throw, the largest image would be 112" diagonal. At Projectorcentral.com they have a shootout between the Epson 5020 and Pan. 8000. Check it out.

arjunsud

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arjun Sud
Thanks! I actually just read that article before my previous post and that is where i learned about the projector. Is Panasonic as well respected for their projectors as the Epson's?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
For sure, if not more so. They are also about $400 more expensive than the 5020 and the 5020 'beats' it in some reviews mostly because of better black levels. As a Pansonic AE-900u PJ and 65" VT50 Plasma owner I really want to go with the Panny for my next PJ but for the two reasons I listed I will probably choose the epson instead.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
arjunsud said:
Thanks! I actually just read that article before my previous post and that is where i learned about the projector. Is Panasonic as well respected for their projectors as the Epson's?
Yes. Your choice boils down to the features needed, price, and warranty. The Epson has the edge in warranty. I don't know about price.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Is Panasonic as well respected for their projectors as the Epson's?
Not even close. Epson holds about 60% of the home theater market for projectors.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
C'mon Greg, let's be realistic here. Market share is in no way the ultimate way to determine whether something is as well respected as another. Is McDonalds as well respected as Ruth's Chris? Panasonic makes great projectors that, at least today, come with a price premium over similarly specced Epsons and they don't have near the quality control issues that Epson does. The 5020 and 8000 each excel in ways over the other. Epson certainly makes lower specced boxes with moderate feature sets, a market Panasonic does not pursue.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Sam Posten said:
C'mon Greg, let's be realistic here. Market share is in no way the ultimate way to determine whether something is as well respected as another. Is McDonalds as well respected as Ruth's Chris?
So sales count as far as respect now... Vizio has more respect than Runco...

arjunsud

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arjun Sud
So i suppose if each of you had a choice then would you go for the Epson 5020 or the Panasonic 8800, price not being a concern and the emphasis being on performance

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Do you have anywhere to view these projectors? You should buy whichever one has the most features you need. A tie would go to the Epson because it has the warranty edge. I wouldn't buy either because I don't like LCD projectors. Just giving my opinion, not trying to start a war.

arjunsud

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arjun Sud
fair enough jim, honestly while i am an enthusiast i realize that i have a lot to learn. What is the difference between LCD an DLP projectors? Why dont you like them?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks