Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

ULTRA 7 REVIEW

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   dhammer

dhammer

Second Unit

• 310 posts

Posted January 02 2013 - 03:01 AM

I bought Ultra 7 and am very happy with the quality. I was a little unhappy about the English subtitles and being released in the original Japanese. I think I was very wrong about that. I like it being in the original language. You quickly get used to the subtitles. I think this is a very nice release.

#2 of 6 ONLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted January 02 2013 - 05:05 AM

I've avoided this one since I have the dubbed on hand and prefer things like this that way. I'm sure it's fun in original language too. Would be great to have a choice somehow. How is the picture and sound quality? I was impressed with the Ultraman release for looks, but the playback wasn't very smooth and the sound was very lacking.
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Gary Seven

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah

• 1,461 posts
  • LocationLake Worth, Florida

Posted January 02 2013 - 09:28 AM

I was quite happy with the Ultraman set as I always wanted to see it in the original Japanese.  Now it is the only way I watch it.  The stories are sub-titled and make much more sense that way (as well as sounds better) as opposed to the dubbed versions.  I recommend you view the entire set that way at least once.

I am not familair with Ultra 7 but I imagine the original Japanese would be superior as well.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   dhammer

dhammer

Second Unit

• 310 posts

Posted January 03 2013 - 02:22 AM

I've avoided this one since I have the dubbed on hand and prefer things like this that way. I'm sure it's fun in original language too. Would be great to have a choice somehow. How is the picture and sound quality? I was impressed with the Ultraman release for looks, but the playback wasn't very smooth and the sound was very lacking.

I thought the audio/video quality could not be better. Normally I would say I like to watch shows dubbed in English. Provided the dubbing is good. I also own the TBS dubbed versions and the dubbed dialog is completely different than the actual script. Because of these reasons, I got into the original Japanese. The sub-titles are a must though.

#5 of 6 ONLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,902 posts

Posted January 04 2013 - 12:48 AM

Huge dilemma for dubbed fans. I like original language/subs on most things, but my history with stuff like Ultraman, Godzilla, plus MST3K's influence, have me preferring dubbed on that stuff. I couldn't see watching something like Gamera or Spectreman any other way. Over the weekend I watched a Christmas gift I got, Godzilla Vs Biollante on blu ray. DTS 5.1 subbed. After, I tried out the mono dubbed and it's like a 97 cent frozen pizza Vs something from Pizza Hut. the mono was flat as a pizza. The DTS didn't make much use of surround, but it was very robust and pleasing when the film got exciting (basically 35 minutes into it, haha). I had a hard time keeping up with all the subs here, but I won't be able to watch the film in dubbed in the future since the difference it too great. Now with Ultraman... I just can't do it. I was probably 4 or 5 when I first saw that show in 1970 or 71. Original language on something like that loses the nostalgia. I even dislike that some of the ultraman episodes show the Japanese opening (which does look a lot better) instead of the English one that I grew up with. I guess a big price cut or sale will have me buying this original language release of U7 just to see it. I need to check out some youtube clips of the show in original language. I'm sure it's good that way.. Worth owning.. and I still have my other versions. Note: I sure wish they would hurry and release Johnny Sokko. I had that preordered and I think they canceled. :(
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#6 of 6 ONLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,902 posts

Posted January 05 2013 - 07:46 AM

Can't edit the above, but here's a correction on Johnny Sokko. http://www.amazon.co...d=I5LQPDIJEEUVL coming in March from Shout! Woo hoo!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users