What's new

Biggest Surprise Release of 2012? (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Dear Guys:
Just what did suprise you, in coming out in 2012?
My biggest "suprise" release, as in "never thought that would come out on DVD," would be . . . . . .
:):)
Born Free. :):)
The 1973 NBC series that starred Star Trek's Diana Mulduar, and the recently passed Gary Collins. It came came out on Sony MOD this year. Never thought it would happen, but maybe it will give the rest of us hope that our Holy Grails will come out.
Well. What were your choices?
James

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
China Beach, which will come out later this year, was the big surprise for 2012. It raises hope that we may yet see releases of other "Holy Grails" such as Batmam and The Wonder Years among countless others.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Of course I would agree with China Beach but I was also surprised to see Grizzly Adams come out on DVD. I've always loved it but it hasn't had the staying power in syndication that other shows had and I can't say I've even saw it in a lot of years until I picked up the DVD set. Looking forward to the final season coming out next month!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Biggest Surprise of 2012: In Search of - The Complete Series. I was also very pleased that Bat Masterson, Sea Hunt and other Ziv shows are making their way out.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
My biggest surprise of 2012 was Father Dowling Mysteries. I never thought that would see the light of day, and now CBS has already scheduled the final season for release. It gives me hope that there may be other nice surprises of that ilk coming in 2013.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
GMBurns said:
My biggest surprise of 2012 was Father Dowling Mysteries. I never thought that would see the light of day, and now CBS has already scheduled the final season for release. It gives me hope that there may be other nice surprises of that ilk coming in 2013.
Agreed, it was a nice surprise. For the past week, my wife and I have been enjoying the first season very much. Those first couple of episodes through us for a slight loop -- they were much longer than what we had expected. But episodes three through eight have been the more standard fifty or so minute offerings (with the exception of the two-parter on disc 2, of course).

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Biggest TV DVD surprises of last year for me: 1) the Cagney & Lacey Limited Edition set that included everything from the TV movie pilot to the 4 reunion movies - It was great not having to settle for the misnamed "The Complete Series" set which is hardly complete. 2) Not only was the 1st season of Alice finally released, but it apparently did well enough (at least by Archives standards) to warrant a Season 2 release last year as well. Neither one is a "Holy Grail" show for me, but I enjoy both and had hoped to someday see them released. But since C&L stalled out after 1 season years ago (Season 2, but treated as if it was the 1st) and Alice only had the one Favorites disc, I honestly didn't think either series would ever get another chance. (Oh, and count me among the others in this thread who were happy to see the Father Dowling sets last year and ready to buy the final season this year.)

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
For me the surprise was finally getting a season of MAVERICK released!! Now if the WB would just continue it!! Also, pleased to get the full series set of GET A LIFE!

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by bretmaverick2
For me the surprise was finally getting a season of MAVERICK released!! Now if the WB would just continue it!!
Yes, this was the biggest surprise for me as well. I was shocked not only by its release but by the reasonable price.
---------------

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
ScottHM said:
Yes, this was the biggest surprise for me as well.  I was shocked not only by its release but by the reasonable price. ---------------
Good point about Maverick. For me the question was whether it would just go to the Archives. My feeling is that Season 2 will probably come out in time for Fathers Day, as last year's release at that time seemed to go pretty well.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Darby67 said:
VEI's release of In Search Of...: The Complete Series and Warner Archives release of Shazam!: The Complete Series. Darby
Same here. I have to say both of these shocked me. I never thought I'd see them on dvd. Also: Fantasy Island season 2. After being stalled for so long I was so happy this series is back on dvd.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Ockeghem said:
Agreed, it was a nice surprise. For the past week, my wife and I have been enjoying the first season very much. Those first couple of episodes through us for a slight loop -- they were much longer than what we had expected. But episodes three through eight have been the more standard fifty or so minute offerings (with the exception of the two-parter on disc 2, of course).
I love this show. I'm so happy to own it on dvd.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Shazam Get A Life Steve Martin The Television Stuff Korg: 70,000 BC The Final Season of The Untouchables

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Shazam Get A Life Steve Martin The Television Stuff Korg: 70,000 BC The Final Season of The Untouchables

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Maverick followed closely by In Search Of... and then Peter Gunn. Two "Holy Grail" shows and one I never thought would see a re-release after the A&D sets went OOP.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
JamesSmith said:
Dear Guys: Just what did suprise you, in coming out in 2012? My biggest "suprise" release, as in "never thought that would come out on DVD," would be . . . . . . :):) Born Free. :):) The 1973 NBC series that starred Star Trek's Diana Mulduar, and the recently passed Gary Collins. It came came out on Sony MOD this year. Never thought it would happen, but maybe it will give the rest of us hope that our Holy Grails will come out. I voted for Born Free, because I thought nobody but an old timer like me, would remember a program like this. I didn't even think the powers that be, wouild think there was any money to be made from its release. Surprise on me. James

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks