Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Biggest Surprise Release of 2012?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 of 24 OFFLINE   JamesSmith

JamesSmith

Supporting Actor

• 851 posts

Posted January 02 2013 - 12:39 AM

Dear Guys: Just what did suprise you, in coming out in 2012? My biggest "suprise" release, as in "never thought that would come out on DVD," would be . . . . . . :):) Born Free. :):) The 1973 NBC series that starred Star Trek's Diana Mulduar, and the recently passed Gary Collins. It came came out on Sony MOD this year. Never thought it would happen, but maybe it will give the rest of us hope that our Holy Grails will come out. Well. What were your choices? James

#2 of 24 OFFLINE   Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,261 posts

Posted January 02 2013 - 01:27 AM

China Beach, which will come out later this year, was the big surprise for 2012. It raises hope that we may yet see releases of other "Holy Grails" such as Batmanand The Wonder Years among countless others. I :fHATE:f "Fat Fingers!" :(

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 36,417 :biggrin: ( 757 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,424  :biggrin: Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B)

#3 of 24 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,173 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted January 02 2013 - 05:29 AM

Of course I would agree with China Beach but I was also surprised to see Grizzly Adams come out on DVD. I've always loved it but it hasn't had the staying power in syndication that other shows had and I can't say I've even saw it in a lot of years until I picked up the DVD set. Looking forward to the final season coming out next month!

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#4 of 24 ONLINE   Darby67

Darby67

Second Unit

• 311 posts

Posted January 02 2013 - 05:48 AM

VEI's release of In Search Of...: The Complete Series and Warner Archives release of Shazam!: The Complete Series. Darby

#5 of 24 ONLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,995 posts

Posted January 02 2013 - 05:52 AM

Biggest Surprise of 2012: In Search of - The Complete Series. I was also very pleased that Bat Masterson, Sea Hunt and other Ziv shows are making their way out.

#6 of 24 OFFLINE   rkofan87

rkofan87

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted January 02 2013 - 08:13 AM

power rangers mega set :D

#7 of 24 OFFLINE   GMBurns

GMBurns

Stunt Coordinator

• 119 posts
  • LocationPlainville, CT

Posted January 03 2013 - 12:08 AM

My biggest surprise of 2012 was Father Dowling Mysteries. I never thought that would see the light of day, and now CBS has already scheduled the final season for release. It gives me hope that there may be other nice surprises of that ilk coming in 2013.

#8 of 24 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,359 posts

Posted January 03 2013 - 01:55 AM

My biggest surprise of 2012 was Father Dowling Mysteries. I never thought that would see the light of day, and now CBS has already scheduled the final season for release. It gives me hope that there may be other nice surprises of that ilk coming in 2013.

Agreed, it was a nice surprise. For the past week, my wife and I have been enjoying the first season very much. Those first couple of episodes through us for a slight loop -- they were much longer than what we had expected. But episodes three through eight have been the more standard fifty or so minute offerings (with the exception of the two-parter on disc 2, of course).

#9 of 24 OFFLINE   Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 872 posts

Posted January 03 2013 - 04:05 PM

Probably Mr. Lucky or My Living Doll

#10 of 24 OFFLINE   Dave Lawrence

Dave Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator

• 113 posts

Posted January 07 2013 - 04:08 PM

Biggest TV DVD surprises of last year for me: 1) the Cagney & Lacey Limited Edition set that included everything from the TV movie pilot to the 4 reunion movies - It was great not having to settle for the misnamed "The Complete Series" set which is hardly complete. 2) Not only was the 1st season of Alice finally released, but it apparently did well enough (at least by Archives standards) to warrant a Season 2 release last year as well. Neither one is a "Holy Grail" show for me, but I enjoy both and had hoped to someday see them released. But since C&L stalled out after 1 season years ago (Season 2, but treated as if it was the 1st) and Alice only had the one Favorites disc, I honestly didn't think either series would ever get another chance. (Oh, and count me among the others in this thread who were happy to see the Father Dowling sets last year and ready to buy the final season this year.)

#11 of 24 OFFLINE   bretmaverick2

bretmaverick2

Second Unit

• 439 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 12:55 AM

For me the surprise was finally getting a season of MAVERICK released!! Now if the WB would just continue it!! Also, pleased to get the full series set of GET A LIFE!

#12 of 24 OFFLINE   ScottHM

ScottHM

Second Unit

• 318 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted January 08 2013 - 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 

For me the surprise was finally getting a season of MAVERICK released!! Now if the WB would just continue it!!

Yes, this was the biggest surprise for me as well.  I was shocked not only by its release but by the reasonable price.

---------------

#13 of 24 ONLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,995 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 05:55 AM

Yes, this was the biggest surprise for me as well.  I was shocked not only by its release but by the reasonable price. ---------------

Good point about Maverick. For me the question was whether it would just go to the Archives. My feeling is that Season 2 will probably come out in time for Fathers Day, as last year's release at that time seemed to go pretty well.

#14 of 24 OFFLINE   Hasslein

Hasslein

Stunt Coordinator

• 172 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 06:07 AM

Shazam for me as well

#15 of 24 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,685 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 06:29 AM

VEI's release of In Search Of...: The Complete Series and Warner Archives release of Shazam!: The Complete Series. Darby

Same here. I have to say both of these shocked me. I never thought I'd see them on dvd. Also: Fantasy Island season 2. After being stalled for so long I was so happy this series is back on dvd.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#16 of 24 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,685 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 06:30 AM

Agreed, it was a nice surprise. For the past week, my wife and I have been enjoying the first season very much. Those first couple of episodes through us for a slight loop -- they were much longer than what we had expected. But episodes three through eight have been the more standard fifty or so minute offerings (with the exception of the two-parter on disc 2, of course).

I love this show. I'm so happy to own it on dvd.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#17 of 24 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 10:43 AM

Shazam Get A Life Steve Martin The Television Stuff Korg: 70,000 BC The Final Season of The Untouchables
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#18 of 24 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 10:43 AM

Shazam Get A Life Steve Martin The Television Stuff Korg: 70,000 BC The Final Season of The Untouchables
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#19 of 24 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,647 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted January 08 2013 - 11:57 AM

Maverick followed closely by In Search Of... and then Peter Gunn. Two "Holy Grail" shows and one I never thought would see a re-release after the A&D sets went OOP.

#20 of 24 OFFLINE   JamesSmith

JamesSmith

Supporting Actor

• 851 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 06:43 PM

[quote name="JamesSmith" url="/t/326463/biggest-surprise-release-of-2012#post_4019536"] Dear Guys: Just what did suprise you, in coming out in 2012? My biggest "suprise" release, as in "never thought that would come out on DVD," would be . . . . . . :):) Born Free. :):) The 1973 NBC series that starred Star Trek's Diana Mulduar, and the recently passed Gary Collins. It came came out on Sony MOD this year. Never thought it would happen, but maybe it will give the rest of us hope that our Holy Grails will come out. I voted for Born Free, because I thought nobody but an old timer like me, would remember a program like this. I didn't even think the powers that be, wouild think there was any money to be made from its release. Surprise on me. James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users