What's new

Newbie- looking for OTA HDTV tuner suggestion (1 Viewer)

jburns

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Hello everyone,
New to the forum and home theater world. I have always had great sucess with ota hdtv where I live. The signal is incredible - perfect signals in 1080p with my tv's built in tuners.
Now that i am purchasing a projector for my theater room, i am looking for advice on a good tuner? Coax in - hdmi or component out -channel guide display.
( i did a search for this topic, but threads seemed a few years old-if i missed a current thread let me know).
Thank you in advance,

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I use the Centronics ZAT502-HD with my projector and it works great. I've had it a few years and never had a problem with it. I use it with HDMI.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The only "outboard" tuners I've ever used are the Samsung SIR T451.
You can find them used on ebay for $60. HDMI is irrelevant for OTA as the best you get is 1080i and 720P. The 451 has DVI so you can connect digitally if you wish, however I always used component.
Outboard tuners for OTA have essentially disappeared unless you buy a DVD-R with a built in tuner.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I have a "dawn of Directv" HD tuner box that has one of the best tuners there ever was. Back in the day everybody thought VGA HD connection was the wave of the future. It has the VGA/component adapter with it(as well as VGA and component cables). I conveniently "lost it" 9 years ago when Directv asked for it back.
You can't tell Directv you have one either...
If you are interested in it, let me know. I'm tempted to throw it on here as I have zero use for it anymore. I forget if it is an RCA or Proscan.
If you google it you'll find out how good the thing is. Produces the best HD analog picture I've ever seen. Even better than the Samsung 451 when it is connected DVI.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
schan1269 said:
. HDMI is irrelevant for OTA as the best you get is 1080i and 720P.
What do you mean by this? It sounds like you're saying not to use HDMI unless it's for a 1080p signal. That is not accurate.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Jim Mcc said:
What do you mean by this? It sounds like you're saying not to use HDMI unless it's for a 1080p signal. That is not accurate.
I didn't say "not" to use HDMI. I just said it is irrelevant.... Which it is.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Because... Do you need HDMI for 1080I or 720P? No. Do you need HDMI for DD/2.0 PCM? No. Again, I didn't say to NOT use it...I just said it is irrelevant to use it. So, essentially, if you don't "need" HDMI for OTA...why limit yourself to "thinking you need HDMI" when buying a tuner? There is no Analog Sunset on OTA. Besides, name one HD Home Theater (as in meant for...not some presentation projector) projector that has dropped component... Name one. It is practically irrelevant since you can buy an HDMI upconversion AVR anyway. If I can snag a $60 tuner that has DVI and component...why spend $120?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Name one. It is practically irrelevant since you can buy an HDMI upconversion AVR anyway. If I can snag a $60 tuner that has DVI and component...why spend $120?
I'm with you in spirit, since I like component and dislike HDMI almost as much as I despise DRM. (Maybe because they're tied together.) But a reason to spend the money might be if his current receiver doesn't have upconversion and he's not looking to upgrade the receiver. But that would be for the convenience (no port switching on the TV side), not for the signal handling capabilities.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Sam, now I know what you were getting at. All the OP asked for was advice on a good tuner with "HDMI or component out", and I gave him one. I own it, and I know it works well. He did not give us a budget, or if he wanted a new or used one. If he wants to take a chance on a used one for $60, that's fine by me.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
BTW, the only place I found the Centronics, it is on back-order. There weren't any on Fleabay. I researched the one I have, so I'd have a price to offer it by. Complete*, like mine is, they are still fetching $250. Probably has a lot to do with being VGA. You can still find the "specific" VGA/component adapter (RCADirectv sold it as an add-on) for $80 by itself. *Still have the manual so you can program the remote...not that it would overtly help as I'm sure some codes have changed...and you'd have to know LG is Goldstar and Zenith is now LG....yada yada...

jburns

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
awesome thank you everyone for your input. I will purchase a unit off e-bay. regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks