What's new

Media Server (1 Viewer)

Stormboy

Auditioning
Real Name
cam
G'day all,
Ive been searching the net for ages on trying to setup a media server that does what I want it do to, and am not having any luck, so I thought I would try here!
My PC runs Windows 7, I ethernet to my PS3 then use PS3 Media Server to see all my files. Unfortunatly this way has some complications like the PS3 not liking alot of MKV files or corrupted data etc. Is there a better way for me to be doing this?
Also, I am fairly OCD, and want to tag all of my movies so I can search for them at will. example: I could tag "Night of the Living Dead" under Horror, Zombie, George A Romero (the director), 1960's and anything else that I could think of to tag it under, so I could search for anyone of those tags through my TV to get a list of movies.
Does something like this exist or am I dreaming?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Cam.

Rick P.

Stunt Coordinator
Install the Plex media server (PMS) on your PC then connect to it with your PS3 using DLNA. PMS should transcode any video the PS3 doesn't play natively on the fly into something it can assuming your PC has the power to do so. Not sure about the tag search piece - it might only return results based on track, artist or title info. I did a search on mine using the term zombie and came up with 5 artists, one album, a bunch of tracks and a couple dozen clips from subscribed channels, but I don't tag stuff very well. PMS is free so if it doesn't do what you need just remove it. It will also share / transcode your library to an iPad, Android device or Playbook via wifi.

mpompey

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Michael Pompey
I run MediaTomb on an Ubuntu VM to stream video content to my PS3.

It works fine about 95% of the time. I will say that it hasn't had much
development in the past two years. That is the problem with open source
in my opinion. If you have close source needs sometimes it is just better
to buy the license.

But MediaTomb is free, as is linux so it doesn't hurt to try. There is also
Mezzmo, Wild Media Server, MediaMonkey, XBMC you can try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks