What's new

HOW CAN THE STUDIOS TOP THE EXCELLENT CLASSIC BLU-RAY OUTPUT OF 2012? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
After The JAMES BOND and HITCHCOCK and MONSTERS sets, plus INDIANA JONES and other Spielberg releases, what can studios do to equal or surpass such releases?
I am thinking Universal could could do a spectacular SCI-FI BOX set which would include
THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN
THIS ISLAND EARTH
TARANTULA
DR. CYCLOPS
IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (3-D)
REVEAGE OF THE CREATURE (3-D)
THE MONOLITH MONSTERS
and perhaps a couple of others, all in their proper aspect ratios.
And, as a separate title, let's not forget a domestic release of THE UNINVITED (1944).
And, what the hell happened to your intended Blu release of THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN?
But there's more.... BALTO, all of your Anthony Mann westerns, ANNE OF THE THOUSAND DAYS, BOWFINGER, COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER, COLOSSUS: THE FORBIN PROJECT, DESTRY RIDES AGAIN, FAHRENHEIT 451, GHOST STORY, THE HEIRESS, HOLD THAT GHOST, ICEMAN, KING OF THE HILL, MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS, MASK, MATINEE, MIDNIGHT RUN, MONTY PYTHON'S THE MEANING OF LIFE, MUNICH, NIGHTHAWKS, PLAY MISTY FOR ME, SCHINDLER'S LIST, SILENT RUNNING, SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE, SPARTACUS (either give this to Criterion or do it right yourselves), SWASHBUCKER, THE THRILL OF IT ALL, THE TIME OF THEIR LIVES, TOUCH OF EVIL, VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED ( Carpenter), WINCHESTER '73.
Sony could give us THE MAD MAGICIAN and its two Three Stooges shorts in 3-D. OLIVER! would be great, too. How about personally releasing, or at least licensing to Twilight Time, the remaining Columbia Harryhausen titles: THREE WORLDS OF GULLIVER, THE GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD, SINBAD AND THE EYE OF THE TIGER, FIRST MEN IN THE MOON? And what on earth is the delay on TOOTSIE, THE CHINA SYNDROME, CITY OF LOST CHILDREN, FROM HERE TO ETERNITY, A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS, OBSESSION, A STUDY IN TERROR, TAMING OF THE SHREW? A huge missing-in-action series on Blu is the Corman/Poe Midnight Movie series. This would seem to be a no-brainer: FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER, PIT AND THE PENDULUM, MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH, TOMB OF LIGEIA, THE RAVEN, A COMEDY OF TERRORS, PREMATURE BURIEL... Other Midnight Movies are also desirable for Blu-ray, including BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW and BURN, WITCH, BURN. How about both versions of CURSE OF THE DEMON (aka NIGHT OF TE DEMON?) Also, can we speed up the output of Woody Allen films in your holdings? At two per year, we'll all be old or dead before the remaining titles are released. As to the general superior films from the UA catalog that remain unreleased to Blu: DOGS OF WAR, EXODUS, A FUNNY THING HAPPENED TO ME..., THE GREAT ESCAPE, THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY, IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT, JACK THE GIANT KILLER (as a tie-in to the forthcoming remake), JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBERG, JUGGERNAUT, A KISS BEFORE DYING, LA CAGE AUX FOLLES, LENNY, MARTY, THE MIRACLE WORKER, MOBY DICK, OF MICE AND MEN, ONE TWO THREE, ON THE BEACH, RETURN OF A MAN CALLED HORSE, ROB ROY, THIEVES LIKE US, TOM JONES, TOPKAPI, THE TRAIN, WHAT'S NEW PUSSYCAT, WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION, WORLD OF HENRY ORIENT.
Paramount could personally give us, or license out (even excluding the region 2 releases already announced or available) The ADDAMS FAMILY films, ATLANIC CITY, BAD NEWS BEARS, CATCH-22, A CIVIL ACTION, THE COURT JESTER, DON'T LOOK NOW, DRAGONSLAYER, THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE, HATARI, HONDO (3-D), HUD, THE LAST TRAIN ON GUN HILL, MARATHON MAN, THE NAKED JUNGLE, THE NAKED PREY, NASHVILLE, NEVADA SMITH, NORTH DALLAS FORTY, NO WAY TO TREAT A LADY, THE NUN'S STORY, NASVILLE, ORDINARY PEOPLE, PAPA'S DELICATE CONDITION, PAPER MOON, PARALLAX VIEW, A PLACE IN THE SUN, PLAY IT AGAIN SAM, PRETTY BABY, RAGTIME, REDS, ROMAN HOLIDAY, ROMEO AND JULIET (1968), SEARCHING FOR BOBBY FISHER, SECONDS, SHANE, A SIMPLE PLAN, SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD, STALAG 17, TERMS OF ENDEARMENT, TESTAMENT, WAR OF THE WORLDS, WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE, Jerry Lewis titles....etc. Damn, Paramount, you people are in serious arrears here!
Criterion could give us... well, just keep up the good work, folks! But a few suggestions: Upgrades for THE VIRGIN SPRING, FIEND WITHOUT A FACE (Hey, if you're bothering with THE BLOB...), BICYCLE THIEVES, FORBIDDEN GAMES, SPIRIT OF THE BEEHVIVE, THE 49TH PARALLEL, ACE IN THE HOLE, BIG DEAL ON MADONNA STREET, CARNIVAL OF SOULS, THE DEVIL AND DANIEL WEBSTER, all remaining Bunuel and Kurosawa titles, EYES WITHOUT A FACE, FIRES ON THE PLAIN...... well, it seems you are on the slow but sure path toward upgrading your DVD's, so... Here are some suggestions for titles you haven't touched yet: A Karel Zeman set; JOURNEY OF HOPE, THE OFFICIAL STORY, ALLEGRO NON TROPPO, BEAU PERE, BURNT BY THE SUN, EUROPA EUROPA, GARDEN OF THE FINZI-CONTINIS, GET OUT YOUR HANDERCHIEFS, HOUR OF THE WOLF, JEAN DE FLORETTE/MANON DE SOURCE, JU DOU, KING OF MASKS, MAD ADVENTURES OF RABBI JACOB, MEPHISTO, NIGHT OF THE SHOOTING STARS, NOWHERE IN AFRICA, PIXOTE, PONETTE, SALAAM BOMABY!, SEVEN BEAUTIES, SILENT STAR (aka FIRST SPACESHIP ON VENUS), STALINGRAD, ILYA MUROMETS (aka SWORD AND THE DRAGON), TREE OF THE WOODEN CLOGS, WAR AND PEACE (Russian) and all of the Francois Truffaut titles held hostage by MGM/SONY.
And, Disney... Where to begin? Catalog titles are finally starting to emerge on Blu-ray, but there are tons of worthy titles yet to be announced (and I'm not even including the animated stuff, which I assume will come our way fairly soon): 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA, THE BLACK HOLE, COUNTRY, DARBY O'GILL AND THE LITTLE PEOPLE, FIGHTING PRINCE OF DONEGAL, THE GNOME MOBILE, GREAT LOCOMOTIVE CHASE, HONEY, I... ( 2 titles), INCREDIBLE JOURNEY, IN SEARCH OF THE CASTAWAYS, JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN, LITTLEST HORSE THIEVES, NEVER CRY WOLF, OLD YELLER, PARENT TRAP, RETURN TO OZ, SHIPWRECKED, SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COME, SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON, TEX, THAT DARN CAT, THOSE CALLOWAYS, TREASURE ISLAND, WHITE FANG...etc. Also, subsidiary label titles such as QUIZ SHOW would be welcome.
Don't get me started on the HAMMER films, which are being spit out regularly in the UK, but the majors here in the States are so far avoiding them...Hello, Warner Bros, Sony.
Warner Bros. has so many holdings now that the want list would be just about endless. THE HAUNTING, BEAST WITH FIVE FINGERS (both would be great for Halloween '13), THE BAND WAGON, THE CAMERAMAN (Buster Keaton), BIG HAND FOR A LITTLE LADY, CHEYENNE AUTUMN, FINIAN'S RAINBOW, THE GREAT RACE, HOOPER, INNOCENT BLOOD, THE KILLING FIELDS, LADYHAWKE, MAD MAX 3: BEYOND THUNDERDOME, McCABE AND MRS. MILLER, MOSQUITO COAST, MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM (color-corrected), THE PLEDGE, RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY, THE SECRET GARDEN (1993), SEVEN DAYS IN MAY, THEM!, TIGHTROPE, FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS, KISS ME KATE (3-D), OPERATION CROSSBOW, PENNIES FROM HEAVEN, QUEEN CHRISTINA, RYAN'S DAUGHTER, SCARAMOUCHE, 7 FACES OF DR. LAO, TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT, VALLEY OF GWANGI, WAIT UNTIL DARK, WATERSHIP DOWN, WHEN DINOSAURS RULED THE EARTH, THE WITCHES (Roeg), TIME MACHINE (1960), VICTOR/VICTORIA, and upgrades to Blu from your Archive series would be great for DARK OF THE SUN and SINBAD THE SAILOR.
Just a partial list, of course, and (assuming these studios read HTF posts) one that reflects my personal tastes. Your wish lists?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I'd like to see Paramount's Black Sunday (1977) released on blu. It is already in the iTunes store in high-definition.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Those are some great suggestions, Dick. Any reason why you skipped mentioning Fox releases (especially since you touched on the UA holdings which MGM controls and Fox distributes)?

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
Well - to keep it short --
Paramount could give us SAMSON AND DELILAH on Blu-Ray.
Disney and Warner Bros. could both grow up already and give us SONG OF THE SOUTH and THE DEVILS - both on Blu-ray, of course!
And someone, anyone, should clear the rights to Kevin Brownlow's invaluable HOLLYWOOD, THE PIONEERS and give us an official dvd or even better, BD release!!
Too many others to add---

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'd purchase quite a few of the title's from the OP.
A few that I'd like to see released in 2013 include:
American Gigolo
Angels and Insects
The Candidate
Microcosmos
Open Range
Until the End of the World
Will Penny
- Walter.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Great list. I hope Universal did well with the box sets, I'd love a Universal Classic Monsters Box Vol.2: The Sequels, & a Hammer set (same as the DVD's but remastered) I think Universal own the Hope/Crosby road movies, so that's a box set waiting to happen. I'd like MGM Holdings to release a few more United Artists films. I'd love a great looking The Vikings & those Roger Corman, Poe horror films should look great.
...& I'm sure Warner will surprise up with a great looking, The Great Race this year!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
haineshisway said:
Well, in the case of the Bond and Hitchcock sets, they could do them right :)
Yes, those too, but I won't hold my breath.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I still want WB to release RAINTREE COUNTY.
It was the HTF's winner for most requested catalogue title of 2012, and didn't even get a DVD release in Region 1.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
MattH. said:
Those are some great suggestions, Dick. Any reason why you skipped mentioning Fox releases (especially since you touched on the UA holdings which MGM controls and Fox distributes)?
Yeah, I left those out. I'll get to them and add them in, for whatever good it might do!

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
From Universal:
-Cecil B. DeMille Technicolor Epic boxset with North West Mounted Police / Reap the Wild Wind / The Story of Dr. Wassell / Unconquered
-James Stewart Western Collection with Winchester '73 / Destry Rides Again / Bend of the River / Shenandoah / The Far Country
-Marlene Dietrich & Josef von Sternberg boxset with Morocco / Dishonored / Shanghai Express / Blonde Venus / The Scarlet Empress / The Devil is a Woman
-Barbara Stanwyck boxset with There`s Always Tomorrow / All I Desire / Double Indemnity / The Lady Eve / Remember the Night / Union Pacific
-Claudette Colbert boxset with Imitation of Life / Midnight / The Palm Beach Story / The Sign of the Cross / Cleopatra
-Ron Howard's Far and Away. It was shot in 70mm and thus should look fantastic.
-Double Indemnity, The Lost Weekend, Scarface (1932), Touch of Evil, Schindler's List, Munich, Duel, In the Name of the Father, Death Becomes Her
-Bob Hope, W.C. Fields, Abbott & Costello comedy collections
------
From Paramount:
-Samson and Delilah, The Greatest Show on Earth, One-Eyed Jacks, Shane, Hud, Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, Last Train from Gun Hill, The Tin Star, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, A Place in the Sun, The Bridges at Toko-Ri, Detective Story, Track of the Cat, Nashville, Serpico, The Keep, Ordinary People, 1492: Conquest of Paradise, Seconds, Snake Eyes, What's Eating Gilbert Grape?
-Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis boxset
-Elvis Presley boxset
------
From Sony:
-Frank Capra boxset with Platinum Blonde / It Happened One Night / Mr. Deeds Goes to Town / Lost Horizon / You Can't Take It with You / Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
-Cary Grant boxset with The Awful Truth / Holiday / Only Angels Have Wings / His Girl Friday / The Talk of the Town
-Humphrey Bogart film noir boxset with In a Lonely Place / The Harder They Fall / Dead Reckoning / Knock on Any Door
-Spencer Tracy boxset with Man's Castle / The Last Hurrah / The Devil at 4 O'Clock / Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?
-Charles Bronson boxset with You Can't Win 'Em All / The Valachi Papers / The Stone Killer / Breakout / Hard Times
-The Victors, Two Rode Together, The Whole Town's Talking, The Long Gray Line, Oliver!, Funny Girl, From Here to Eternity, A Man For All Seasons, Gilda, The Last Detail, Fail-Safe, The Lady from Shanghai, A Matter of Life and Death, The Chase, All the King's Men, Born Yesterday, The Swimmer, The Man from Laramie, King Rat, Gloria, Husbands, Twentieth Century, California Split, The More the Merrier, The Prince of Tides, The Age of Innocence, The Remains of the Day, Philadelphia, Bad Boys 2, Panic Room, Lord Jim, Tokyo Joe, Sahara
------
From Fox:
-A Tyrone Power Adventure Films boxset with The Mark of Zorro / Son of Fury / The Black Swan / Captain from Castile / Prince of Foxes / The Black Rose / King of the Khyber Rifles / Untamed
-The rest of the Rodgers & Hammerstein: The King and I / Carousel / State Fair / Oklahoma!
-Films shot in 70mm (Cleopatra, The Agony and the Ecstasy, Hello Dolly!, Can-Can, Star!, Doctor Dolittle)
-Shirley Temple films
-Phantom of the Paradise, The Verdict, The King of Comedy, Sunrise, City Girl, Lifeboat, Flight of the Phoenix, The Blue Max, The Ox-Bow Incident, My Darling Clementine, Leave Her to Heaven, Hush... Hush, Sweet Charlotte, The Innocents, Fantastic Voyage, All That Jazz, The Driver, The Turning Point, Barton Fink, True Lies, The Abyss, Strange Days, Volcano, Strange Days, A Good Year, Death Sentence
------
From MGM:
-Films shot in 70mm (The Alamo, Exodus, The Hallelujah Trail, Khartoum, Krakatoa: East of Java, Song of Norway, The Last Valley)
-An Ingmar Bergman boxset with Persona / Shame / The Passion of Anna / Hour of the Wolf / The Serpent's Egg
-Gregory Peck boxset with Moby Dick / On the Beach / Pork Chop Hill / Duel in the Sun / The Big Country
-Sidney Poitier boxset with The Defiant Ones / Pressure Point / Lilies of the Field / In the Heat of the Night / The Wilby Conspiracy
-Burt Lancaster boxset with Elmer Gantry / Birdman of Alcatraz / The Train / Run Silent Run Deep / A Child is Waiting / The Devil`s Disciple / The Young Savages / Sweet Smell of Success
-Burt Lancaster Westerns boxset with Vera Cruz / Lawman / The Unforgiven / The Scalphunters / Valdez is Coming / The Hallelujah Trail / Apache / The Kentuckian
-Pink Panther Film Collection
-Attack!, Ball of Fire, Barefoot Contessa, The Big Knife, Birdman of Alcatraz, Bound for Glory, Bridge at Remagen, Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, Carnal Knowledge, Coming Home, The Devil's Brigade, Duel in the Sun, Electra Glide in Blue, Elmer Gantry, The Great Escape, In the Heat of the Night, Inherit the Wind, Irma La Douce, Judgment at Nuremberg, Junior Bonner, The Long Goodbye, The Missouri Breaks, Moby Dick, Portrait of Jennie, Red River, Rolling Thunder, Runaway Train, They Shoot Horses, Don't They?, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, The Train, Witness for the Prosecution, Zulu
------
From Disney:
-Dead Presidents, Kundun, Beloved, The 13th Warrior (Theatrical Cut & original John McTiernan "Eaters of the Dead" cut), Mission to Mars, Open Range, The Village
------
From Lionsgate:
-My Left Foot, Prospero’s Books, The Crying Game, Glengarry Glen Ross, Kids, Smoke, Breaking the Waves, Cube, Wishmaster, Buffalo ’66, Happiness, In the Bedroom, May, Dogville, Shattered Glass, Bug, Drowning by Numbers, The Cook The Thief His Wife and Her Lover, A Hard Day`s Night
------
I'll leave Warner Bros. out since they more or less announced their 2013 slate.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
While I love most of the titles that have been listed here, I hoping they don't go the 'collections' route, at least as the only option. I don't want to have to cloud my decision-making by wondering if I should spend extra for some movies I don't particularly want.
Plus, given the over-reactions we tend to see here on HTF, box-sets and collections tended to be treated harsher than individual releases. A set may have several perfect or near perfect films, but if one or two others are not up-to-par, the entire collection is labeled utter crap.
David

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Far and Away is certainly a film I've been very surprised hasn't turned up on Blu-ray yet. I know it wasn't as popular as some of Tom Cruise's other films, but it might get rediscovered on a Blu-ray generated from a first rate 4k scan.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
MattH. said:
Far and Away is certainly a film I've been very surprised hasn't turned up on Blu-ray yet. I know it wasn't as popular as some of Tom Cruise's other films, but it might get rediscovered on a Blu-ray generated from a first rate 4k scan.
First day purchase--if it has both the theatrical and tv cuts of the film (unlike The Last Emperor blu).
For 2013: I hope to see Disney continue to unload its catalog titles. I think they could try a lot more boxed sets. I think there should be an Annette boxed set, a Hayley Mills boxed set, and maybe one for the Tim Conway/Don Knotts comedies, Dean Jones comedies, another one that has classics of literature like Treasure Island and such. I also hope GnomeMobile and Darby O'Gill make a two-pack. Anyway, I hope so--I don't think everything has to be a stand-alone title nowadays. Boxed sets save space anyway.
Warners certainly needs to get on with their MGM library titles. I mean, really. Practically all of them were available on vhs way, way back in the day--and a lot of them never got to dvd. They need some generous boxed sets of the MGM library!!
Fox just needs to get on with everything that's not Star Wars or the Simpsons.
I think Universal and Paramount did some nice things last year, and I'm hoping this continues into 2013. Sony can also dig into their catalog a little more.
And for all the studios, I hope if they feel that catalog blu-rays are not moving out of store shelves, that there's always web-only archival options, and licensing deals through 3rd party blu-ray publishers such as Twilight. I just don't want the hobby to die off simply because Wal-Mart only wants to sell newest movies (although I forgive Wal-Mart this year alone, simply because they carried the Marilyn Monroe movies).

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
I second the motion for SEVEN BEAUTIES and BLACK SUNDAY (1977).

I'd also like to see Criterion tackle TWO WOMEN, a film that has never had a proper release in any digital format. And also Costa-Gavras' SLEEPING CAR MURDERS.

And how about blu-ray upgrades for the following Criterion DVD releases:

THE HONEYMOON KILLERS
PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK
THE LAST WAVE
THE NIGHT PORTER
LACOMBE, LUCIEN
MURMUR OF THE HEART

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
If Fox stays true to their vow to release a handful of vault titles each month as they're doing this month (some real classics like How Green Was My Valley and Gentleman's Agreement along with newer vault titles like One Fine Day and French Kiss), I won't gripe.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Was looking to purchase Foul Play on Blu-ray and shocked to see that this is
a title that Paramount still has not released.

Also shocking is the fact that Marathon Man has not seen the light of day on
Blu-ray, but I believe Paramount told us that title has gone with the Warner deal.
I am not 100% certain about that and will await clarification from other members
of the HTF meet that were sitting at the table with us when that title came up
in discussion.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
MattH. said:
If Fox stays true to their vow to release a handful of vault titles each month as they're doing this month (some real classics like How Green Was My Valley and Gentleman's Agreement along with newer vault titles like One Fine Day and French Kiss), I won't gripe.
I'm sure that FOX will be releasing CLEOPATRA during 2013 for it's 50th Anniversary which is June 12, 2013.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ronald Epstein said:
Cleopatra is definitely in the works.
No need to wait -- it's been available region-free from Amazon.uk for a year now.
I am still waiting for a personal favorite -- The Right Stuff. Also, Mr. Mom would be welcome, as this title never did receive a proper SD-DVD release. Also, hopefully Criterion will give us a proper transfer of Spartacus, to correct the travesty that Universal hoisted upon us.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks