-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Intel going it alone for STB and DVR?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2

Posted December 31 2012 - 08:20 AM

Intel has partnered with a variety of partners for Google TV and with Microsoft for Windows Media Center for dedicated STB/DVR's, but nothing has really materialized in products gaining traction with the public or even coming to market (MS).

Rumors about Intel's TV service tuned up this past March following a report from the Wall Street Journal.

The rumors continue to come out that Intel will announce a service a CES this year for a STB.  The DVR would be cloud based that would record all channels for a month in the cloud, thus eliminating any local storage being required on the STB.  I don't know how much I like that feature.  There are things that I want to permanently have.  Maybe Intel would offer the ability to have cloud storage that a consumer could pay for that would persist content more than a month.

Why is Intel going it alone?  It seems they were tired of having "half-assed" products and partners in the space and wanted to be in charge of things themselves.  Supposedly they would role the service out city by city to control content negotiation issues.

I wait with baited breath to see what this turns out to be.

#2 of 2 Dave Vaughn

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts

Posted January 12 2013 - 05:09 AM

Kevin, Another downside with the cloud storage is data bandwidth and potential charges coming from your ISP to access that data.
Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
www.hometheater.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users