What's new

Dredd (2012)...WOW! (1 Viewer)

Robert George

Screenwriter
I'm sure there will be an official forum review and a "Few Words About" from Bob Harris, so I'll only steal a little of their thunder. And "thunder" is more of a pun that you may know.

My nomination for most under-appreciated movie of the year is...DREDD.

Perhaps it was my expectation of another major cheese fest after Stallone's semi-comical treatment of the not very funny comic book of Judge Dredd, my ignorance of the original comic book story, or just a poor marketing by Lionsgate, but the theatrical release of Dredd did not make my list a few months ago. Too bad for me. Or, considering the new Blu-ray treatment of this terrific little film and a better than average audio and projection rig at my house, maybe the wait is actually worth it.

First off, there is little to compare this new film to Stallone's version. It has been written by others more familiar with the original "Judge Dredd" material that this new film is considerably more true to the comic series. I'll take their word for it. Certainly this new version is grittier, grimier, and considerably more blood-soaked than the cartoonish treatment of the previous film. The production design of Dredd is much more believable in its depiction of a post-apocalyptic cityscape, or mega cityscape in this case. Characterizations are also more realistic here. Drug dealers in the future still act like drug dealers, although like the over-the-top violence that permeates the action, they are simply more predatory in an environment where crime is a way of life. For Karl Urban's portrayal of Judge Dredd, the lack of background or character development does not seem to affect our perception of the character. Urban does a terrific job of making an unbelievable character believable. Extra props to Urban for taking a role where his full face is never seen. IMO, this is the real Judge Dredd.

While this was a relatively low budget film, it looks like everything got put on the screen. The production and effects are solid, especially the "Slo-mo" drug effect. Really cool to look at, and the Blu-ray transfer captures everything beautifully. But the real standout here is the totally sick 7.1 soundtrack. I can't think of a single film I have heard that made better use of the multichannel format. The bass is deep yet so well integrated, this is bound to become one of THE demo soundtracks.

I really liked this movie, and the Blu-ray is everything it should be in the sound and picture department.

Way recommended.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I patiently await for my BD arrival after a close friend told me months ago about how great this film was and how much better than the Stallone version.

Crawdaddy

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
It's nothing, at all, like the Stallone version. The new Dredd is absolutely violent, bloody and profane...and it looked exquisite in the theater. Everything from the sets to costumes and action impressed me quite a bit. This is a dark movie (story and lighting) without a lot of happy moments. But dang, was I ever glad to see it in the theater.

Robert George

Screenwriter
Despite the hard, indeed, brutal, nature of this film, it was about the most fun hour and a half I've had at the movies in a really long time.

That probably says more about me than the movie.

Whatever.

Robert George

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Jason_V /t/326413/dredd-2012-wow#post_4019031
This is a dark movie (story and lighting) without a lot of happy moments..

That being said, I'd have to give the transfer an extra point. At no time did I consider the image oppressively dark or did I note any obvious crushed blacks except in a few scenes where the lighting was done for obvious effect. Excellent shadow delineation.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
The great Anthony Dod Mantle (Oscar, SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE) is the DP. Terrific lighting throughout, oscillating from hard grays to surprisiingly soft colorations and an occasional nod to comic book imagery. The Blu looks great but I bet the production's use of 3D was really something special.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
See also The Raid: Redemption. Also came out in 2012 and, plot wise, almost the same movie. It felt like deja vu watching Dredd. And quite good as well.

A group of policemen going after a drug dealer are trapped in a dilapidated tenement building.

Robert George

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Paul D G /t/326413/dredd-2012-wow#post_4019510
See also The Raid: Redemption. Also came out in 2012 and, plot wise, almost the same movie. It felt like deja vu watching Dredd. And quite good as well.

A group of policemen going after a drug dealer are trapped in a dilapidated tenement building.

"Almost the same" for good reason, apparently. I have read the script for Dredd was leaked and the resulting rip-off Indonesian production got finished first.

Robert George

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by EnricoE
i don't consider $50mill as relatively low budget
Perhaps. But, from what I have read in recent years, the average cost of a major Hollywood studio production is now over $100 million. Some say well over. If that is accurate, then yes, $50 million is relatively low budget. Maybe "modest budget".

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Robert George
Perhaps. But, from what I have read in recent years, the average cost of a major Hollywood studio production is now over $100 million. Some say well over. If that is accurate, then yes, $50 million is relatively low budget. Maybe "modest budget".
I'm with you: for a big action flick circa 2012, $50m is relatively cheap. That's $20 million less than the 1995 flick!

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
You forgot to adjust for inflation. The original film probably would cost around 180 millions now, shot for shot, to remake. The new one is great.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
the lack of interest for dredd had many reasons...
the 1995 turd - well not really a turd, but for me rob schneider ruined the film on many levels.
the similar premise like the raid - afaik dredd was planned before the raid. both films are good
very little interest in the character
did the film deserve this? NO! it's a very good film for it's genre, including it's flaws, and karl urban was perfect as dredd. i do hope the movie does well on home-video and opens the chance for a sequel -> bigger, more bad-ass :D

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by HDvision
You forgot to adjust for inflation. The original film probably would cost around 180 millions now, shot for shot, to remake. The new one is great.
I implied the difference due to inflation in my post. Yes, $50m from 1995 would be well over $100m today, but the point still remains that "Dredd" was made 17 years later and cost $20m less, which indicates that it was a relatively cheap flick for its genre.
For those of us who can remember when $50m was a HUGE budget, it's weird to think of it as "modest", but in the current marketplace, it is - at least for a big, effects-laden action movie...

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Drokk it, pre-ordered! Dang you Crawdaddy and Obi! Amazon for $19.99 includes the 3D, Digital copy and the much reviled UV code for those of you who are so inclined: http://www.amazon.com/Dredd-Blu-ray-Digital-Copy-UltraViolet/dp/B005LAII80/ref=sr_tr_sr_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357313001&sr=8-1&keywords=dredd I think Amazon will give you an Amazon stream of it too, but don't quote me on that.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I missed this film in the theater. I saw the trailer for it on EXPENDABLES 2. I'm sure I'll rent it, but it just looks like your typical action vehicle: nothing too memorable. I am familiar with the original comic book and I have to say that the DREDD comics do have humour in them, along with the ol' ultraviolence. If this film doesn't have any humour to it then it will have failed to capture this character just as much as Stallone's take on the character did.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Wow, a few people whose opinions I value are vouching for this film. Might be time for a blind buy. :) Seems like not a lot of people saw this movie, but those who did give it very good word of mouth.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks