Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How do I get cloud-based email for all OS X & iOS devices?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 of 24 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,643 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted January 02 2013 - 08:08 AM

He said in the OP that IMAP and iCloud were not playing well together. I asked him why he was using iCloud at all, you replied because of folders, I noted the issue with Gmail and folders, which is what IMAP support was intended to allow, but it's wonky. So I don't know if his answers would be the same as yours. Either way trying to make Gmail work with folders, with or without round tripping to Apple Mail or other apps is going to be a bit tricky. The Spam Sieve product you mention is not what I'm talking about. I asked if you were round tripping just to use gmail as a (generic) spam sieve solution, using another client as a front end. That seems to be what you are doing. I have no opinion of the product known as Spam Sieve as I have never used it. Sorry if that was not clear. Anyway, my recommendations stand: If you absolutely must use folders, you can make Gmail work using IMAP to iDevices and Apple Mail on the desktop, but it has it's own set of tradeoffs and frustrations. Working through them can be a challenge, and it may not be worth it in the end. Using a different host will be much easier for most people. If you can live without folders, gmail for domains work great directly within the Mail App in iOS and even better in a web browser on any Mac, no native mail app needed, and in fact, using a mail app is a step down from the web experience. Also, I still don't see how iCloud comes in to the equation unless you were both equating the Apple Mail app(s) with iCloud. I still seem to be missing something here. I don't see why you would round trip from Gmail to iCloud for any reason other than wanting that Apple email domain to show, which doesn't seem to be the case for either of you.

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#22 of 24 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,177 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted January 03 2013 - 02:17 PM

I see I confused everyone :) I use gmail. My domain registration forwards email to the gmail account, and my Mac and iPhone get email from it. The upsides are: gmail is a great spam filter, practically unlimited storage, free, and great web search. The downsides are that iOS doesn't send emails as from my domain (but from gmail), and there are some IMAP oddities with gmail so I can't use folders. My wife uses iCloud. It seems to require server-side storage be disabled to work with local folder organization, and storage is limited/costly (compared to free). My biggest desire is to get I could email from iOS devices sent as if from my domain. The folder weirdness with gmail I've lived with for a few years now, and accept a big fat inbox. I've got some stuff to read through more carefully on this thread :)

#23 of 24 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,643 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted January 04 2013 - 02:33 AM

Right, I get all that. I'm saying you just have too many hops. Why aren't you using gmail for domains and just having your devices pull from that directly, rather than doing this forwarding? http://smarterware.o...hout-forwarding

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#24 of 24 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,177 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted January 05 2013 - 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein 

But I think I may have found an easier way for you to do this.

Create an alias account in Apple Mail

Use your incoming iCloud account to receive mail, but set up

an ALIAS (your normal email account address) as the outgoing one.

Let me know if that works, or, if instead I am just confusing this entire situation.

Unfortunately, those are only for "@icloud.com" aliases. Like to create an "htf@icloud.com" name to separate emails from a forum.

Originally Posted by Sam Posten 

Right, I get all that. I'm saying you just have too many hops. Why aren't you using gmail for domains and just having your devices pull from that directly, rather than doing this forwarding?
http://smarterware.o...hout-forwarding

Last time I looked at it, I was put off by the cost (and way before that, I don't think it was available for individuals, as with every other google 'beta' rollout). I need to look again, since the $50/yr may be worth it, and it would preserve my gmail archive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users