What's new

Streaming image problems - bad blu ray player? (1 Viewer)

SonicSC

Grip
Real Name
Stacy Carson
I have an LG Blu Ray player (2-3 years old) connected via HDMI to an LG HDTV and the HD images are never a problem from a disk. On the other hand, I have my BR player connected to the internet via ethernet cable, and any time I stream videos, fast motion or swirling colors really make the picture blocky and pixelated. Should upgrading my Blu Ray player fix this? And is there a certain spec I should look for when buying a new one?
Thanks, and happy holidays!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Welcome to HTF, Stacy, and thanks for stepping in to other threads to help!
As for your streaming problem, it may just be a poorly compressed video. Either that, or your download speed may be too little for streaming.
If you can give some example videos and it's on Netflix or Amazon Prime Streaming, I could see if I get similar results on my PS3 (I've got FiOS for broadband, so download speed is not an issue).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Before you go upgrading your BD player...
Does your computer have HDMI?
Try streaming from it. It the problem persists...you need faster internet...

SonicSC

Grip
Real Name
Stacy Carson
Thanks for the thoughts! I have super fast Comcast (20 Mbps down, 6 up) and I do occasionally watch video on my computer, just not the show that is the worst offender: Dr. Who, season 5+ (https://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Doctor_Who/70142441?locale=en-US). In the intro segment, as the Tardis (Tardis = flying blue police box, if you're not a fan) flies into the swirling orange maelstrom, the image gets extremely pixelated. I hope you can check that out and let me know what you think. Thanks!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
OK, we've ruled out internet speed...
You could try a newer one...and use the "double excuse" that the LG loads BD too slow...
My guess here, the speed required to do the downloads is greater than the BD player is capable of handling(essentially a bottleneck)...???

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks