What's new

Not enough inputs (1 Viewer)

stev3n340

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Hello, first post here. I'm looking for some advice to complete my home theater system.
Here's my equipment.
-Sony Bravia TV
-TWC Cable Box
-Xbox 360
-PS3
-Sony Surround Sound/Home theater system
-Apple TV2
I just received the Apple TV as a gift, and I've ran into a wall. I don't have any more HDMI ports on my tv, and I already have a digital optical wire going from my tv to the home theater system.
I am thinking I'll have to purchase some sort of HDMI switcher. I have no idea about the audio situation. I'd like everything (cable, gaming, apple tv) to run through the surround sound speakers.
Any guidance is appreciated.

stev3n340

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Thanks for the confirmation about the switcher. And I guess I'm too young for that reference...
What about the audio situation? Will AppleTV still play through my surround? I feel like I need to have the digital optical wire plugged in AppleTV.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What kind of surround is this? Cause the last thing(and we've covered this hundreds of times since I've been on the forum) you want to do...with surround sound...
Is have your TV involved...at all.

stev3n340

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
I have a Sony bdv-e370.
Excuse my ignorance, but why shouldn't I have my tv involved? I have an hdmi and digital optical going from/to my receiver and tv. I want to play everything through my surround sound. And the two sony's work well together.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Except that ALL of your inputs into the TV are spit out PCM 2.0 to your audio system.
So, any(not including the TVs own tuner...cause that will be 5.1) external devices are using DPL only.
-TWC Cable Box (has 5.1 DD, but you can't have it...TV invloved)
-Xbox 360 (has 5.1 DD, but you can't have it...TV involved)
-PS3 (has 5.1 DD, but you can't have it...TV involved)
-Apple TV2 (has 5.1 DD, but you can't have it...TV involved)
But you could get this...
http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Switcher-Toslink-Digital-Coaxial/dp/B003L14WB8/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356817452&sr=1-2&keywords=hdmi+switch+with+audio+output (pretty sure this one lets 5.1 DD out via the toslink...but check the manufacturers website...cause if this one only sends 2.0PCM, which is the same you have now, there are hundreds of these that do pass 5.1DD)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There is one plus...
According to one Amazon reviewer, the 370 supports DTS over Toslink(but...you don't get that either...TV involved)

stev3n340

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
So what you're saying is I'd purchase that, and place all hdmi inputs into that and into my tv. Then I'd put the digital optical wire from that to the surround sound? And that actually gives me better sound quality than I had before?
Why am I losing quality?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You lose audio quality cause your TV is dumbing down(and it isn't your TV, it is all of them..save maybe .05% of them on the market) the incoming audio and spitting out 2.0 PCM.
The only thing you can do with 2.0PCM is use Dolby ProLogic.
If that system really does support DTS via Toslink(not very many "all-in-one" do)...you'll notice a huge difference between DTS content and 2.0PCM DPL.

stev3n340

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
http://reviews.cnet.com/home-theater-systems/sony-bdv-e370/4505-6740_7-34149815.html
I think it does?

stev3n340

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Why do TVs dumb down the audio to PCM? How do I check if my tv is doing that? Bravia kdl-60ex270

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Why do TVs dumb down the audio to PCM?
Cause they aren't meant to be "the hub"
How do I check if my tv is doing that?
The manual. The page where it shows you how to connect a toslink. There is a note telling you what sounds are output...as what. It will say something like...
Tuner 5.1 DD
Incoming outputs are 2.0

Bravia kdl-60ex270
I'll see if I can find a manual.
The "PCM output note" is typically in the sidebar/notes as in "not the part you'd readily see"...unless you were looking...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Finally found something that alludes to why it only spits out 2.0 PCM....it is because it can't digest 5.1 DD...
"When using HDMI input with Super Audio CD or DVD-Audio, DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL)
may not provide an audio signal."

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, that depends...
You "could" buy a whole new AVR/speaker set...
This will be the "cheapest" alternative I find...
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXSR313/Onkyo-TX-SR313-5.1-Channel-3-D-Ready-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html
http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Theater-Package-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B001342XI4/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356828470&sr=1-2&keywords=dayton+sub-800
Under $310. Use the PS3 for BD...or pick up a pre-owned BD player for $40-$50.
If you need 5 HDMI, there are AVR out there. But the above system will trounce what you have now.
Or, get a HDMI switch that sends 5.1.

gartronics

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garry
Brainwasher said:
Reminds me of an 80's movie reference: "need more input". Ha Ha, anyone? Bah, nevermind. :D
"Number 5...........Is Alive!" Short Circuit, what a great 80's movie. Didn't care for the second one as much though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks