Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

PHE Press Release: Top Gun (3D Blu-ray Combo)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 of 28 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,536 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted January 11 2013 - 07:43 AM

So Kelly McGillis has been demoted from the cover art and credit. I guess she has not made quite the name for herself that Mr. Cruise has.

#22 of 28 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted January 11 2013 - 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by EnricoE 

bruhaha!!! hollywood studios seriously lost their minds.

whats up with these bs 3d conversions? what next... the great dictator in color and 3d with dts-hd 11.1 audio?

There are already releases like this out there. Legend has done colorization AND 3D to a series of Three Stooges shorts and a Laurel and Hardy feature (March of the Wooden Soldiers). Both releases contain the originals in black and white. Make of it what you will. There was much concern back in the 80s when Turner acquired RKO about the colorization of Citizen Kane (which IIRC, did not happen) and King Kong (which did). So long as the originals are available, I really don't care.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#23 of 28 ONLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,618 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted January 11 2013 - 11:16 AM

There are already releases like this out there. Legend has done colorization AND 3D to a series of Three Stooges shorts and a Laurel and Hardy feature (March of the Wooden Soldiers). Both releases contain the originals in black and white. Make of it what you will. There was much concern back in the 80s when Turner acquired RKO about the colorization of Citizen Kane (which IIRC, did not happen) and King Kong (which did). So long as the originals are available, I really don't care.

I have both the March of the wooden soldiers and the three stooges 3D from Legend and afaik they do NOT contain the black and white versions. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#24 of 28 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted January 12 2013 - 08:12 AM

I understood March of the Wooden Soldiers to contain both the colorized 3D version (on one disc) and the colorized and black and white on a second disc.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#25 of 28 ONLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,618 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted January 12 2013 - 01:57 PM

I understood March of the Wooden Soldiers to contain both the colorized 3D version (on one disc) and the colorized and black and white on a second disc.

Nope. The Legend 3D releases are all single disc and do not contain the original black and white versions.
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#26 of 28 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,548 posts

Posted January 15 2013 - 08:10 AM

I'm surprised to see this happen! My curiosity is provoked. I own a 3D capable TV and own several 3D titles on blu-ray, yet I need to upgrade the player. This Top Gun could be added to the library eventhough I have most of the earlier editions. As far as colorizing, or 3 dimensioning in this case, its like reworking soundtracks to 5.1. Though we don't always get the original mono. I almost always enjoy the remixed audio. So I'm curious to see the foreground objects in Dial M for Murder and the jets fly overhead, as well as hear them fly overhead when i get that new player. Hey, we need to see Steve McQueen's Bullitt in 3D for the car chase sequence and the shotgun murder scene.

#27 of 28 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,046 posts

Posted January 19 2013 - 08:46 AM

And yet Paramount can't be bothered to put out their REAL 3D movies, even putting out Hondo in 2D last year!
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#28 of 28 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted January 21 2013 - 12:17 AM

More of a curiosty for me personally. what i saw of Titanic on 3D Blu-ray was quite nice but still have yet to find the time to sit down and watch it fully in 3D. Is Top Gun material to be converted in 3D? proberly not but at least they've remastered the original version and have included that. The OAR will be what i'm interested in though. earlier home video versions had the OAR opened up from 2:1 (VHS and the first DVD version) and i believe the Laserdisc was 1:85. Considering they has been converted with IMAX in mind, I'm wondering if they've opened the frame up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users