Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

PHE Press Release: Top Gun (3D Blu-ray Combo)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 of 28 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,828 posts

Posted December 27 2012 - 10:12 AM

FEEL THE NEED FOR SPEED LIKE NEVER BEFORE WHEN THE ADRENALINE-FUELED CLASSIC

TOP GUN

TAKES YOUR BREATH AWAY IN STUNNING 3D

Blu-ray 3D/Blu-ray™ 2D Two-Disc Set Takes Off on February 19, 2013

HOLLYWOOD, CA. – TOP GUN, the movie that helped define a generation, prepares to soar into a new dimension as it makes its home entertainment debut in breathtaking 3D.  The action-packed drama will take audiences into the danger zone in a Blu-ray 3D/Blu-ray 2D two-disc set on February 19th from Paramount Home Media Distribution.  The release follows an exclusive six-day theatrical run in select IMAX® 3D theaters beginning on February 8th.

TOP GUN was re-mastered from high resolution original negative scans and painstakingly converted to 3D by Legend3D under the supervision of the film’s director, Tony Scott.  The artists at Legend3D began by studying every shot in the film and mapping out each element on screen in order to create a realistic sense of depth.  This process allows the artists to enhance the experience of each scene individually so that the appropriate elements are brought forward or back, depending on the scene.  Rendered in 3D, the film’s complex, long shots reveal extraordinary depth and clarity, allowing viewers to explore every detail of the action.  From the spectacular aerial dogfights to the intense close-ups in the cockpits, each frame gives the audience the feeling of being part of the story.
The story of an elite group of pilots competing to be the best in their class and earn the title of “Top Gun” captured the imagination of a generation and earned a worldwide box office of over $350 million upon its release in 1986.  Tom Cruise is superb as the cocky but talented pilot Maverick and Kelly McGillis sizzles as the civilian instructor who teaches him a few things you can’t learn in a classroom.  Featuring a sensational soundtrack with unforgettable songs including Berlin’s “Take My Breath Away” and Kenny Loggins’ “Danger Zone”, the film also stars Val Kilmer, Anthony Edwards and Meg Ryan.

Newly re-mastered to ensure the highest quality image, the TOP GUN Blu-ray 3D presents the film with pristine high definition picture and sparkling sound, as well as in spectacular 3D for the ultimate home viewing experience.  The Blu-ray 2D includes the re-mastered film in high definition, along with a six-part documentary on the making of the movie, a behind-the-scenes featurette, a survival training featurette, interviews with Tom Cruise, four music videos, commentary by producer Jerry Bruckheimer, director Tony Scott, co-screenwriter Jack Epps, Jr. and naval experts, a look inside the real “Top Gun” and more.  The two-disc set available for purchase also includes a digital copy of the film and will be enabled with UltraViolet, a new way to collect, access and enjoy movies.  With UltraViolet, consumers can add movies to their digital collection in the cloud, and then stream or download them – reliably and securely – to a variety of devices.  UltraViolet will be available in the U.S. only.

TOP GUN Blu-ray 3D/Blu-ray Combo:

The TOP GUN Blu-ray 3D and Blu-ray are each  presented in 1080p high definition with English 5.1 Dolby TrueHD, English 6.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, French 5.1 Dolby Digital and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital with English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles.  The combo pack includes the following:

Blu-ray 3D

·         Feature film in high definition and 3D

Blu-ray

·         Feature film in high definition

·         Commentary by producer Jerry Bruckheimer, director Tony Scott, co-screenwriter Jack Epps, Jr. and naval experts

·         Danger Zone: The Making of Top Gun (six-part documentary)

·         Multi-Angle Storyboards with optional commentary by Tony Scott

·         Best of the Best: Inside the Real Top Gun

·         Music Videos:

o   Kenny Loggins—“Danger Zone”

o   Berlin—“Take My Breath Away”

o   Loverboy—“Heaven In Your Eyes”

o   Harold Faltermeyer and Steve Stevens—“Top Gun Anthem”

·         TV Spots

·         Behind-the-Scenes Featurette

·         Survival Training Featurette

·         Tom Cruise Interviews

About Paramount Home Media Distribution

Paramount Home Media Distribution (PHMD) is part of Paramount Pictures Corporation (PPC), a global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment.  PPC is a unit of Viacom (NASDAQ: VIAB, VIA), a leading content company with prominent and respected film, television and digital entertainment brands.  The PHMD division oversees PPC’s home entertainment, digital and television distribution activities worldwide. The division is responsible for the sales, marketing and distribution of home entertainment content on behalf of Paramount Pictures, Paramount Animation, Paramount Vantage, Paramount Classics, Insurge Pictures, MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central and CBS and for providing home entertainment fulfillment services for DreamWorks Animation Home Entertainment.  PHMD additionally manages global licensing of studio content and distribution across worldwide digital and television distribution platforms including online, mobile and portable devices and emerging technologies.

TOP GUN Blu-ray 3D Combo

Street date:                February 19, 2013

SRP:                               $29.99 U.S.

Runtime:                     109 minutes                     

U.S. Rating:                 PG

Canadian Rating:      PG

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 28 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,449 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted December 27 2012 - 12:06 PM

It's going to take your review, Ron, to convince me I need this. No pressure. :)

#3 of 28 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,157 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted December 27 2012 - 12:19 PM

Is this the Turner-ization of movies for the 2000s?

#4 of 28 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,597 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted December 27 2012 - 12:25 PM

I'm with you, Steve.  Top Gun is one of my favorite movies and I really want this conversion to be out of this world, but this is starting to get out of hand.  If there's a theater event, I'll be there (I missed the last one in 2011 because of an injury).  But I don't know if I need yet another version of Top Gun on disc.

#5 of 28 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted December 27 2012 - 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by DaveF 

Is this the Turner-ization of movies for the 2000s?

Kind of my thought.   This is a film that was never shot in 3D, was not intended to be viewed in 3D, so adding 3D to it now for me is an instant pass.   There is a huge difference as well in taking a film that is or was composited in 3D prior (like a Pixar work) vs. a film that exists ON film designed in this way.

I don't want a colorized version of anything, why do I want a retrofitted 3D film?

I don't know if there is any review that would make me buy in.  And I'm buying most 3D titles just to show off the coolness of my setup

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#6 of 28 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,449 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted December 27 2012 - 12:37 PM

The event screening for me was the original run in 1986 on a big screen with an ear-blistering THX sound system. Nothing like it left in Dallas, although some of the 4K digital projection is nice.

#7 of 28 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,597 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted December 27 2012 - 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Tannehill 

The event screening for me was the original run in 1986 on a big screen with an ear-blistering THX sound system. Nothing like it left in Dallas, although some of the 4K digital projection is nice.

My parents sadly didn't have the foresight to bring me to the theater at 7 years old for the original run.

But then they got the VHS and my father played it almost every Saturday night.  I wonder how that would have shaped me as an adult...

#8 of 28 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,449 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted December 27 2012 - 12:54 PM

As an adult, there is definitely some eye candy in Top Gun. :) While we have some nice theaters in the Dallas area, I long for the big screens, auditoriums, and sound systems that used to be here, but were cleared away for rubble, churches, parking lots, and multiplexes. We used to have a twin theater with one screen that had 1100 seats and a THX sound system that was the best in the southwest. It was the place to see Jurassic Park in DTS, and Titanic in 70mm DTS. It was the place to see the Star Wars movies, but the original run was before my time. I did see the Special Edition run back in the 90''s, and it was quite good. There's another series being converted to 3D...and I generally have no interest in seeing it.

#9 of 28 bgart13

bgart13

Supporting Actor

• 842 posts

Posted December 27 2012 - 01:02 PM

Gag.

#10 of 28 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted December 27 2012 - 01:21 PM

It was the first laserdisc I had purchased, just for the Dolby Digital track.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#11 of 28 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,449 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted December 27 2012 - 01:32 PM

I had the pre-DD laserdisc, but it at least had digital sound.

#12 of 28 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,157 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted December 27 2012 - 03:52 PM

Kind of my thought.   This is a film that was never shot in 3D, was not intended to be viewed in 3D, so adding 3D to it now for me is an instant pass.   There is a huge difference as well in taking a film that is or was composited in 3D prior (like a Pixar work) vs. a film that exists ON film designed in this way. I don't want a colorized version of anything, why do I want a retrofitted 3D film?

Yep. 10 years ago, movie nuts had, at best, ambivalence towards post-theatrical film tinkering. Today, tinkering is welcomed and hurrahed. I don't know it's a bad thing, but it's interesting to me. We'll see in 20 years if 3D-ing is viewed as a good idea or with anything like the contempt towards colorization or pan and scan.

#13 of 28 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,626 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted December 28 2012 - 12:23 AM

Here's the thing for me: as long as the original version is available for viewing (and we have excellent home video renditions of Top Gun), I don't care what producers do to films to try to wring a few more bucks out of their properties. If people want to see the results, fine with me.

I have only a reviewer's interest in seeing what their efforts produce. I didn't think that 3D did anything to enhance I, Robot. I haven't seen the 3D Titanic, but I understand it's superb. I really enjoyed FInding Nemo in 3D, but is it BETTER than the original 2D? Hard to judge since the movie was reconceived for 3D and is something of a different animal. But we have both so everyone should be pleased.

I felt the same way about colorization except I never saw a single colorized movie that I felt looked natural or true. They always looked artificial and weird, even celebrated efforts like Babes in Toyland. Maybe I had seen the original black and white version too many times. And some colorzied movies were just eye sores (Miracle on 34th Street, Champion, 42nd Street). But one thing was positive about colorization: the studios had to remaster the films before they laid on color, and those remasters were most welcome.

#14 of 28 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,597 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted December 28 2012 - 01:45 AM

You're right, Matt.  I've stuck with this stance since the beginning of time and I always will: as long as the original version is still available in "as good as" condition as the new rejiggered whatever, I'm okay with that.  Which is why all the retro-fitted 3D movies recently (Disney/Pixar and Titanic, for example) pass my sniff test.  The discs all include the 2D versions on BD along with the 3D edition.  As long as that happens here-and it will, based on the cover art-I'll be happy.

#15 of 28 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,426 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted December 28 2012 - 03:54 AM

10 years ago, movie nuts had, at best, ambivalence towards post-theatrical film tinkering. Today, tinkering is welcomed and hurrahed.

I see movie fans complain about 3-D conversions (and 3-D in general) all the time, they still have a raging hatred of George Lucas for changing the Star Wars movies and they worry about Peter Jackson messing with Lord Of The Rings so I don't think it's accurate to say that tinkering is welcomed and hurrahed today. Outside of both of them having been changed after the theatrical release, I don't really see a parallel between 3-D and colorization. As far as I know, all 3-D conversions have had input from someone on the creative team rather than being done by some random technician making guesses about the look of the movie. And since no 2-D version has been pulled from circulation in favor of a 3-D version, it's tough to get concerned about it.

#16 of 28 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,828 posts

Posted December 28 2012 - 04:28 AM

You can also put me in the camp of opinion that I don't

care what Hollywood does with their classic films.  They

can colorize them or convert them to 3D.

As long as there is always an original untouched version

available, then the public always has a choice of which

to watch.

Ronald J Epstein

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#17 of 28 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,571 posts

Posted December 28 2012 - 05:20 AM

Yep. 10 years ago, movie nuts had, at best, ambivalence towards post-theatrical film tinkering. Today, tinkering is welcomed and hurrahed. I don't know it's a bad thing, but it's interesting to me. We'll see in 20 years if 3D-ing is viewed as a good idea or with anything like the contempt towards colorization or pan and scan.

It isn't a bad thing. I have never been for colorized B&W films, because it never looked even remotely close to natural. Black, and white looks better than unnatural fake colors. I'm not even a big 3-D film nut, but if it is done really well, I'm all for seeing an old favorite in a new, and fresh way.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#18 of 28 Wayne_j

Wayne_j

Second Unit

• 406 posts

Posted January 02 2013 - 12:03 AM

I don't currently have Top Gun on Blu so I will probably get this if they did a good new transfer to make the 3D version from.

#19 of 28 EnricoE

EnricoE

Supporting Actor

• 516 posts

Posted January 02 2013 - 05:47 AM

bruhaha!!! hollywood studios seriously lost their minds. whats up with these bs 3d conversions? what next... the great dictator in color and 3d with dts-hd 11.1 audio?

#20 of 28 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,828 posts

Posted January 11 2013 - 07:01 AM

Post updated with official press release and new official cover art

Ronald J Epstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users