What's new

Couple Noobie Questions concerning AVR's (1 Viewer)

UnderCoverGuy11

Auditioning
Real Name
Sag Man
Hi guys, new to the forum, though I'd sign up so I have a place to come and learn some more. I recently put together a Klipsch system consisting of 2x RF-62 II, 1x RC-52 I, 2x RS-52 II, and 2 RW12D Subwoofers.
Now I'm using a Yamaha HTR 6030 which is fairly old, from an Old HTiB I bought years ago, and I do plan on upgrading it but not at the moment.
I have 3 questions I've been pondering:
1) I have a big room, and the speakers don't seem to fill the room, but I know they should be capable of doing so. Is it okay to raise the dB per speaker to something like 8 or 9?
2) Would something like a Blu-Ray Player put out much louder audio than say something like a DVDrip?
3) If the source audio was quiet and I have the amp turned up all the way, is it still possible to blow the speaker? Or do speakers blow only with loud volume?
My amp currently underpowers the speakers, I will be getting another but I want to know the basics still. Anyway, thanks in advance for any replies.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
1) I have a big room, and the speakers don't seem to fill the room, but I know they should be capable of doing so. Is it okay to raise the dB per speaker to something like 8 or 9?
No, all that will do is artificially increase your gain. The only way "level" works is if there is a variance per speaker
2) Would something like a Blu-Ray Player put out much louder audio than say something like a DVDrip?
Absolutely. But, we don't know what format your rips are in...but I've never met a rip that was anywhere neat the originating source in quality
3) If the source audio was quiet and I have the amp turned up all the way, is it still possible to blow the speaker? Or do speakers blow only with loud volume?
Technically that would be a no. I doubt you are using the amount of power you think you are using anyway
My amp currently underpowers the speakers, I will be getting another but I want to know the basics still. Anyway, thanks in advance for any replies.
There is no way the 6030 is underpowering the speakers you've got as they are freakishly efficient. Those are 97db efficient (most speakers are 88-91)...
So, if your volume is low...your sources suck...cause the 6030 is more than up to the task of making those speakers play loud enough for you to go deaf.

UnderCoverGuy11

Auditioning
Real Name
Sag Man
Ok, makes sense, can you elaborate a little on what you mean by "artifical gain" referring to the dB gain? I thought it would just increase the power or something going to those speakers.
You're probably right about the sources, I have not put in an a Blu-Ray yet, I will attempt to do this before the end of the week. I think it might just be the thing that's causing all my problems, I get a rip ONCE in a while that has some great quality so the speakers sound great, but 4/5 times I get low audio.

speakers r us

Auditioning
Real Name
brandon schletty
No its not.when u raise individual gain you can control the power in put for that one speakers capability. It will limit that speaker power in put. The master volume is to control all speakers.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
speakers r us said:
No its not.when u raise individual gain you can control the power in put for that one speakers capability. It will limit that speaker power in put. The master volume is to control all speakers.
Why don't you go re-read his "question number 1" in the originating post. He asked about raising EACH speaker level +8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks