Speakers too big/hang too low

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Dan Burch

Dan Burch

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted December 27 2012 - 06:30 AM

I either need to change the way my speakers hang or get new smaller ones. I have 4 SVS SBS-01 surrounds hanging in the corners of the room. They hang vertically and I can not see a way to hang them horizontally due to the SVS mounting system. Hanging them horizontally would be my best/easiest/cheapest solution. So size is not the problem only orientation. Anyone know a way of doing this? I am handy with tools but afraid to ruing the speakers by drilling into them. If this can not be done I need to buy new surrounds that will hang horizontally and be compatible with my system: Room is 10 x11 Yamaha RX-V1800 SVS SCS-01 Center SVS PB12-NSD Sub budget $800 My questions are: Is there a way to hang the SVS horizontally? if not: Can I buy 4 new speakers and still use my current center and Sub? Who makes speakers I can hang horizontally? I have spent hours reading the forum about speakers and brands but not sure about hanging any of them horizontally. Thank you Dan

#2 of 7 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,745 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted December 27 2012 - 09:43 AM

http://www.amazon.co...r ceiling mount Solves the problem. And according the manual for your SBS, they are designed to go right on this mount.... http://www.amazon.co...eywords=Omni-20

#3 of 7 Dan Burch

Dan Burch

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted December 28 2012 - 03:38 AM

Sam, Thanks for the reply. I am using those mounts although I have the wall version. Problem is the mounting bracket on the back of the speaker is not centered. It's 4' in on the tweeter side. The woofer on the opposite is too heavy for the mounts to hang the speaker horizontally. The speakers will not hang level. [ATTACHMENT=443]20121228_083038_resized.jpg (54k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT] Anyone else have ideas?

#4 of 7 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,291 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 28 2012 - 04:02 AM

Dan:

You might reach out to the customer service at SVS.  Those guys always get EXTREMELY high grades for helping out their customers.  The SVS company had its origins here at the HTF!

See what they might recommend to help you with your issue.

Good luck and report back with your solution.

I envy you your SVS sub.  Some day....

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#5 of 7 Dan Burch

Dan Burch

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted January 12 2013 - 02:46 AM

I contacted SVS. Their response "The crossover is mounted on the rear baffle, so there is actually very little available real estate on the back panel for safely sinking wood screws. The MDF baffle isn't that thick (only about 8 mm from my recollection), so I don't recommend risking drilling any holes into the speaker. I still think your best option is to physically lock the Omni-20 ball/socket together with a shallow set-screw hole rather than relying strictly on set-screw pressure." I will mount the speakers on a piece of plywood to see if his set screw idea works. If it doesn't work, Can I buy 4 new speakers (different brand) and still use my current SVS center and SVS Sub?

#6 of 7 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,700 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted January 12 2013 - 03:33 AM

We usually don't recommend using different brand speakers accross the front three. But since youre speakers are mounted high up the wall it would'nt be as much of an issue. But I'd look for a clamp-style mount or even a small tube tv wall mount and see if either one of those could work. Otherwise, sell all 5 SVS's (sacrilege!) and start over.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#7 of 7 Dan Burch

Dan Burch

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted March 04 2013 - 05:32 PM

Just wanted to update what I did to hang speakers horizontally. I removed the access panel where the wires connect to see what was there. Plenty of room. I found the center of gravity on the speakers, drilled four holes using the bracket as a template. I used 4 blind nuts and remounted the bracket. All went well and I didn't have to buy new speakers. One trick I used in case I dropped a nut inside; I ran dental floss through the hole and ran it through the nut. Taped one end of the string to the side of the speaker and left the other long. Working in a tight hole I did drop the blind nuts a few times but the string kept them from falling and sticking to the magnets. Speakers don't look as good horizontally, but they still sound great. Now I can hang my wife's Pez display cases higher on the walls so they don't hit our heads while sitting on the couch. Oh the sacrifices I have to make.......Thanks, Dan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users