Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

A few words about...™ Dick Tracy -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About Disney

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 of 52 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,321 posts

Posted December 26 2012 - 09:21 AM

There are a handful of films that I've been waiting for on Blu-ray, as the increase in resolution and color accuracy should have a major affect on the final product.

Warren Beatty's Dick Tracy has been near the top of that list since Blu-ray arrived.

Unsung stars of the film are Richard Sylbert's production design, which along with Harold Michelson's Art Direction and Milena Canonero's Costume design, set a high standard.  Then, the extraordinary make-up, special and visual effects...

The list can go on.

Want your color punched up, in your face, and drop dead gorgeous?

That's all well and good, but then who do you get to photograph what has been created?

Vittorio Storaro.

Not bad.

Word is that both Mr. Beatty and Mr. Storaro were checking and approving every frame of this new HD transfer, and with gentlemen of their ilk hanging around, chances are the final result will be better than good.

It is.

Dick Tracy is glorious, and will be one of the finest catalog Blu-rays of 2012.  Actually, we can leave out the word catalog.  It is one of the most beautiful Blu-rays of the year.

Back in 1990, when the film was released, blow-up prints were produced, which along with the 35s, were ENR.  That 6-track magnetic audio comes to the Blu-ray via DTS-HD Master Audio, to round out a perfect Blu-ray release from Disney.

Color, densities, shadow detail, grain structure are all on the screen, creating a very cinema-like experience.

Great film, with a great cast of supporting players.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Highly Recommended.

I'll say it again -- One of the most beautiful Blu-rays of 2012.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 52 Craig_Ehr

Craig_Ehr

Second Unit

• 326 posts

Posted December 26 2012 - 11:04 AM

A shame Disney didn't pony-up on this title in the bonus content category by bringing us a true "Collector's Edition", but at least they appear not to have skimped in the A / V department. Wonderful to hear and will be spinning my disc very soon now!

#3 of 52 Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted December 26 2012 - 11:42 AM

Okay, so maybe I won't wait for this to hit the less than $15 mark like I had planned. I was hoping for extras, but if the image is that good, I am all the more eager to see it.

Paramount, please release DRAGONSLAYER on Blu-ray

Dragonslayer_1981HTF_zps4e370848.jpg

Vermithrax Pejorative deserves to be seen in high-def.

#4 of 52 JoshZ

JoshZ

Second Unit

• 378 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted December 27 2012 - 06:18 AM

Word is that both Mr. Beatty and Mr. Storaro were checking and approving every frame of this new HD transfer,

If true, it's interesting that the disc was released in its theatrical 1.85:1 ratio. As I recall, both Beatty and Storaro have claimed in the past that they composed the frame for Academy 1.37:1 to emulate the square nature of comic strip panels, but studio resistance prevented them from releasing it pillarboxed on the 35mm prints. Then, of course, Storaro also has his crackpot "Univisium" theory about wanting to crop everything to 2:1 no matter how it was composed. So there was really no telling what ratio this would end up at. I guess the theatrical ratio turned out to be a happy medium between the two extremes.

Writer / Blogmaster

High-Def Digest

#5 of 52 Peter Neski

Peter Neski

Supporting Actor

• 874 posts

Posted December 27 2012 - 06:38 AM

sorry I love parts of this movie ,but I think there's problem for me with the images,I wish I could write better,and fake sets and back lots isn't it,the matte paintings and storaro aren't the problem,Maybe its the director ,who is one of my Favorite stars and makes good films but really dosn't have a bit of Visual talent,and just hiring talented people ,doesn't cut it,the print is fantastic like most Storaro films i know I am alone ,most here love it

#6 of 52 jack phillips

jack phillips

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted December 27 2012 - 09:38 AM

If true, it's interesting that the disc was released in its theatrical 1.85:1 ratio. As I recall, both Beatty and Storaro have claimed in the past that they composed the frame for Academy 1.37:1 to emulate the square nature of comic strip panels, but studio resistance prevented them from releasing it pillarboxed on the 35mm prints.

I used to have the LD. If I recall correctly, the Academy ratio was used on that release.

#7 of 52 Rocky F

Rocky F

Second Unit

• 371 posts

Posted December 27 2012 - 10:37 AM

sorry I love parts of this movie ,but I think there's problem for me with the images,I wish I could write better,and fake sets and back lots isn't it,the matte paintings and storaro aren't the problem,Maybe its the director ,who is one of my Favorite stars and makes good films but really dosn't have a bit of Visual talent,and just hiring talented people ,doesn't cut it,the print is fantastic like most Storaro films i know I am alone ,most here love it

I think the fake look was on purpose. I'm sure the budget would have allowed for a more realistic look, but Beatty was wanting the film to look like the comic strips it was drawn from.

I used to have the LD. If I recall correctly, the Academy ratio was used on that release.

I only owned the VHS, it was 4:3. :D Along with Batman (89) and The Rocketeer, this was one of the few really great comic adaptations of my high school years, I really don't know why I haven't added all three of them to my BluRay collection yet, but hopefully they will be there soon.
Rocky

#8 of 52 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,679 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted December 27 2012 - 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Rocky F 

Along with Batman (89) and The Rocketeer, this was one of the few really great comic adaptations of my high school years, I really don't know why I haven't added all three of them to my BluRay collection yet, but hopefully they will be there soon.

I think it's really great that all three are available on Blu-ray for you to add to your collection.

#9 of 52 Randal Gist

Randal Gist

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted December 27 2012 - 02:57 PM

While I can understand some folks not liking the stylized look and performances of Beatty's Dick Tracy, I have always loved the look and feel of the film. It's high underrated and deserves a good blu-ray release. This is exciting to read Mr. Harris. I like and appreciate good extras; but the film's the thing.

#10 of 52 lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,112 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted December 27 2012 - 06:51 PM

It's historically important to note that "Dick Tracy", along with "Terminator 2-Judgement Day", were the first two theatrically released movies to be produced with 5.1-channel digital surround sound, predating Dolby Digital by over a year...Cinema Digital Sound was the format's name if I recall correctly...I was just as blown away 22 years ago by the audio quality of this film as I was by Storarro's visual artistry in the film image when I saw this at San Francisco's Regency Theater back then... Posted Image

Having seen and heard this blu-ray on my home theater setup, I can honestly say that it brought back those thrills!!!Posted Image

#11 of 52 mgdvd0

mgdvd0

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted December 28 2012 - 09:15 AM

the visual is great if only the SCRIPT had been better :(

#12 of 52 MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,031 posts

Posted December 30 2012 - 11:16 AM

Good to get assurance from RAH that this looks so good. I've always loved this film as a visual experience, so am excited to pick it up.
Films watched in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
AFI Top 100 lists: Movies, Thrills - Completed / Laughs - 23 to go
Passions - 39 to go / Heroes & Villains - 10 to go / Songs - 42 to go

#13 of 52 MielR

MielR

Advanced Member

• 954 posts

Posted January 01 2013 - 08:24 AM

Sorry...what's "ENR"? :confused: I've loved this film since I saw it theatrically; the only weakness for me is....Madonna. But, I can manage to overlook her poor acting and weak singing because the rest of the film is so visually stunning, and has a sentimental quality that kept it from being just another mindless comic adaptation.
SAVE STAR WARS! BOYCOTT THE BLU-RAYS! "Like" us here:

http://www.facebook....ycotttheblurays

#14 of 52 Mark Oates

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor

• 872 posts

Posted January 01 2013 - 02:58 PM

Sorry...what's "ENR"? :confused: I've loved this film since I saw it theatrically; the only weakness for me is....Madonna. But, I can manage to overlook her poor acting and weak singing because the rest of the film is so visually stunning, and has a sentimental quality that kept it from being just another mindless comic adaptation.

Bleach bypass?
J Mark Oates
Do Not Be Afraid. That sound is simply my mind boggling.

#15 of 52 MielR

MielR

Advanced Member

• 954 posts

Posted January 01 2013 - 07:14 PM

Bleach bypass?

Beats me. :P I thought he was talking about aspect ratio of the release prints, but I probably misunderstood.
SAVE STAR WARS! BOYCOTT THE BLU-RAYS! "Like" us here:

http://www.facebook....ycotttheblurays

#16 of 52 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,052 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted January 02 2013 - 06:58 AM

Electronic Noise Reduction, I believe.

#17 of 52 Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,583 posts

Posted January 02 2013 - 07:15 AM

"ENR" (bleach bypass): http://en.wikipedia....i/Bleach_bypass
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#18 of 52 Mark Oates

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor

• 872 posts

Posted January 02 2013 - 07:20 AM

Back in 1990, when the film was released, blow-up prints were produced, which along with the 35s, were ENR.

Hence the bleach bypass link to Wiki in my post as well.
J Mark Oates
Do Not Be Afraid. That sound is simply my mind boggling.

#19 of 52 JoshZ

JoshZ

Second Unit

• 378 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted January 03 2013 - 07:28 AM

Dick Tracy didn't use bleach bypass, though, did it? I can't imagine that it did. Doesn't have that look at all.

Writer / Blogmaster

High-Def Digest

#20 of 52 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,052 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted January 03 2013 - 10:51 AM

"ENR" (bleach bypass): http://en.wikipedia....i/Bleach_bypass

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing, Mark and Peter.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About, Disney

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users