• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,132 posts
  • LocationSunny Central Florida

Posted December 26 2012 - 02:51 AM

I hadn't looked at it in probably five years, but I went to play the Artisan DVD release of Steven King's THE LANGOLIERS, a TV-movie/miniseries, and it wouldn't play. In anything. I tried it in the computer, a blu-ray player, three DVD players including two Sony's that reported "Disc is dirty."

So I've concluded that either the Langoliers ate the data off the disc, or it's a true case of DVD rot.  I just picked up a cheap used copy to replace it that seems to play fine - well, as close to fine as it can, given that it's an older, video-sourced title that looks pretty soft on the big screens of today.

Harry

My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#2 of 19 rkofan87

rkofan87

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted December 26 2012 - 09:14 PM

wow dvd rot is real

#3 of 19 Carabimero

Carabimero

Screenwriter

• 1,195 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted December 27 2012 - 08:57 AM

Sorry to hear that, Harry. I experienced my first and only case of DVD rot with the Flipper season one discs.

#4 of 19 Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,231 posts

Posted December 27 2012 - 09:14 AM

It happened to me with the final season of Walker, Texas Ranger a couple of years ago. :( I replaced the disk, no problems since.

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 36,337 :biggrin: ( 751 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,406   :B)   Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B)

#5 of 19 Rick Z.

Rick Z.

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted January 31 2013 - 04:19 AM

My first case of DVD rot was yesterday. A WB title: Cat People/Curse of the Cat People (Double Feature). It didn't play on 3 players and it also had a strange, champagne-like color on readable area. It's so far the only time this has happened to me, but then, I haven't checked other discs.

#6 of 19 Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,132 posts
  • LocationSunny Central Florida

Posted January 31 2013 - 12:04 PM

Heh. From what I've read, some reviewers might think it's a good thing if all copies of THE LANGOLIERS fell victim to DVD-rot!

No matter - it's a guilty pleasure for me.

Harry

My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#7 of 19 studioexexs

studioexexs

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted January 31 2013 - 01:09 PM

Heh. From what I've read, some reviewers might think it's a good thing if all copies of THE LANGOLIERS fell victim to DVD-rot! No matter - it's a guilty pleasure for me. Harry

WELL studios ARE using crappy quality materials for dvd's in last few years, look at the clouding issue that happened with many SONY tv on dvd releases - they are are willfully doing this so they know are discs will not last the 50+ years they should last IF they used only the best materials

#8 of 19 jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 1,917 posts

Posted January 31 2013 - 03:40 PM

geez, i thought these discs pretty much lasted forever.

#9 of 19 Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,122 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted January 31 2013 - 05:02 PM

On a slightly different note, is anyone having trouble with Memorex DVD-R's? I've had to ditch a bunch lately and a friend of mine is having the same issue. Memorex tells me they're not compatible with my older DVD recorder (a Magnavox about 8 or 9 years old) but Memorex has worked in it before, even out of this batch. My DVD drive on my desktop doesn't like them either. I gave up arguing with them.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#10 of 19 Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,532 posts

Posted February 01 2013 - 01:39 AM

On another note, does anyone use DVD+R? That is all I ever use, never use DVD-R and have never had any problem with burned material not playing.
See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#11 of 19 Ron1973

Ron1973

• 1,122 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted February 01 2013 - 03:20 AM

On another note, does anyone use DVD+R? That is all I ever use, never use DVD-R and have never had any problem with burned material not playing.

Okay, pardon my stupidity (:D) but what's the difference? I never see the +R in the stores around here. Oh, btw, it's not a playback problem lol.....the darn things just refuse to record! I get an error saying "cannot record on this disc" about one minute into the recordings. Memorex is the only one I've ever had the issue with.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

#12 of 19 Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,532 posts

Posted February 01 2013 - 03:50 AM

Okay, pardon my stupidity (:D) but what's the difference? I never see the +R in the stores around here. Oh, btw, it's not a playback problem lol.....the darn things just refuse to record! I get an error saying "cannot record on this disc" about one minute into the recordings. Memorex is the only one I've ever had the issue with.

My understanding is that there are slight differences between the two in recordable sectors, and that DVD+R is a newer spec, compared to DVD-R. Also supposedly older DVD players/recorders will only recognize DVD-R discs. If anyone has a better explaination, please share.
See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#13 of 19 Ron1973

Ron1973

• 1,122 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted February 01 2013 - 04:17 AM

My understanding is that there are slight differences between the two in recordable sectors, and that DVD+R is a newer spec, compared to DVD-R. Also supposedly older DVD players/recorders will only recognize DVD-R discs. If anyone has a better explaination, please share.

Thanks. I saw +R on Amazon when I ordered -R discs last month (got Sony this time-the old standby). In reading reviews, it said the +R was a crapshoot on older recorders/players so I steered clear. My Maggie is 8 or 10 years old and still does the job I ask of it, so no desire to buy another one!

Find me on Facebook

My blog

#14 of 19 The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,124 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted February 01 2013 - 10:14 AM

WELL studios ARE using crappy quality materials for dvd's in last few years, look at the clouding issue that happened with many SONY tv on dvd releases - they are are willfully doing this so they know are discs will not last the 50+ years they should last IF they used only the best materials

Uh, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the clouding issue due to crappy cases used by various companies, not shoddy discs? Sony, Shout, Image, CBS/Paramount... all have had cloudy disc issues due to a certain brand of case used.

#15 of 19 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,842 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 01 2013 - 10:32 AM

Uh, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the clouding issue due to crappy cases used by various companies, not shoddy discs?

Obviously, I don't really have anything to back this up but I'd say that it can be both. I've had those Scanavo cases wreck discs and I've just had flat out DVD rot in a standard case that was due to something wrong with the disc itself (not the case). Going way back to the late 1990's or early 2000's, a number of early Universal titles had DVD rot in really high volumes for people. My copies of Psycho (1960), The Thing and Vertigo have all died from rot and I'm pretty sure that Apollo 13 and Mallrats also died on people alot too. I'm pretty sure that all of those titles were manufactured in 1998 or maybe 1999 so they eventually corrected the mistake and the problems stopped occurring.

#16 of 19 The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,124 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted February 01 2013 - 12:50 PM

Obviously, I don't really have anything to back this up but I'd say that it can be both. I've had those Scanavo cases wreck discs and I've just had flat out DVD rot in a standard case that was due to something wrong with the disc itself (not the case). Going way back to the late 1990's or early 2000's, a number of early Universal titles had DVD rot in really high volumes for people. My copies of Psycho (1960), The Thing and Vertigo have all died from rot and I'm pretty sure that Apollo 13 and Mallrats also died on people alot too. I'm pretty sure that all of those titles were manufactured in 1998 or maybe 1999 so they eventually corrected the mistake and the problems stopped occurring.

Yeah, early DVDs had the rot problem, but the last major actual disc problem I can recall was Universal's DVD-18 fiasco (which they've rectified in later pressings of most titles by just going back to single sided discs). But the cloudiness issues I recall reading about were all due to the Scanavo cases, and the problem was easily solved by a good cleaning and buying new cases. No conspiracy there.

#17 of 19 studioexexs

studioexexs

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted February 01 2013 - 01:11 PM

Uh, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the clouding issue due to crappy cases used by various companies, not shoddy discs? Sony, Shout, Image, CBS/Paramount... all have had cloudy disc issues due to a certain brand of case used.

You are right and wrong, it was how the discs interacted with those cases BUT also companies who used other cases (not scanvo) also had discs cloud up and rot too and now today, due to all these discs made in mexico, they have layer problems and much more it is sickening

#18 of 19 Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 883 posts

Posted February 01 2013 - 02:15 PM

In real-world use, there's not much difference between -R and +R. The main difference has to do with tracking errors and interference, where +R is better. Still, you'd probably never run into a problem with whichever type you use. Where you WILL see a difference is in the brand you use. I found I get too many coasters with brands like TDK and (especially) Memorex. I use Verbatim almost exclusively, except for the random Ridata when there's a player that has a problem with Verbatim. All the professionals I know use either Verbatim or Ridata, and that's good enough for me.

#19 of 19 Ron1973

Ron1973

• 1,122 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted February 01 2013 - 02:25 PM

In real-world use, there's not much difference between -R and +R. The main difference has to do with tracking errors and interference, where +R is better. Still, you'd probably never run into a problem with whichever type you use. Where you WILL see a difference is in the brand you use. I found I get too many coasters with brands like TDK and (especially) Memorex. I use Verbatim almost exclusively, except for the random Ridata when there's a player that has a problem with Verbatim. All the professionals I know use either Verbatim or Ridata, and that's good enough for me.

Sounds like a good case for Verbatim use when I run out of Sony! My main thing I record is Hee Haw (yeah, go figure lol) and once a season is done, they usually replay it one time and after that, you're crap outta luck, so it's gotta be something that will last.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users