-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Jack Klugman R.I.P.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,467 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted December 24 2012 - 01:48 PM

Sad news for fans of classic TV. The great Jack Klugman has passed at the age of 90.

http://news.yahoo.co...-231248929.html

During the 5-year run of The Odd Couple in the early 70s Klugman and his good friend Tony Randall were one of the greatest comic pairings in television history as mismatched roommates Oscar & Felix. I'd like to think that after all these years they're reunited in some cosmic apartment, and already "driving each other crazy". :)

R.I.P., Mr. Klugman.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#2 of 9 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,463 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted December 24 2012 - 01:59 PM

He was the original Herbie in the Broadway Gypsy. RIP.

#3 of 9 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,895 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted December 24 2012 - 02:07 PM

I hadn't read this until I came here tonight, so I'm very saddened by the news. Of course, he seemed to have lived a full long life, and we can continue to enjoy his work on film and television for years to come. He won two Emmys during his five years on The Odd Couple (and not only won over his co-star Randall those times but also over the highly favored Carroll O'Connor on All in Family, quite an accomplishment).

#4 of 9 greg.shoemaker

greg.shoemaker

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted December 24 2012 - 02:46 PM

He was one of the outstanding performers in 12 ANGRY MEN. Greg

#5 of 9 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,703 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted December 24 2012 - 03:05 PM

Jack Klugman leaves behind a wonderful body of work but my favorites are his 4 episodes of The Twilight Zone.

#6 of 9 David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 1,980 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted December 24 2012 - 03:06 PM

Oh man, that;s really sad. I remembered him from some of those classic Twilight Zones and grew up watching first run Odd Couple's right on through Quincy. What a run he had for 30 years. I just looked at his bio and never had an idea he was on the Pilot episode of I Dream of Jeanie -- oddly enough as a Helicopter Pilot (or at least crewman) who rescues Tony from the Island.

#7 of 9 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,072 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 24 2012 - 03:34 PM

This is sad.

But he will be remembered for a very long time due to some great performances and a highly memorable state & screen personality.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#8 of 9 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,049 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted December 24 2012 - 03:49 PM

I always had a soft spot for Jack Klugman. He reminds me of my dad and they both look alike a little bit. Plus he was from Philly. Odd Couple will always be one of my favorite shows. Back in the 80's he opened a gourmet popcorn store in the Gallery shopping mall downtown Philly. It wasn't open for long, not much of a market down there for gourmet popcorn I guess.
facebook.com/whotony

#9 of 9 joshEH

joshEH

Screenwriter

• 2,984 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted December 24 2012 - 07:32 PM

Sad news. I hope he's made his way to that corner of the Twilight Zone where the old people are young again, and spend their time playing Kick-the-Can. No doubt God, ever the jokester, showed Klugman to his new apartment in Heaven tonight and opened its door, saying, "This is Tony. He'll be your roommate for the remainder of eternity, Dudda-Dudda-DUNNNNN!! Haha...just kidding, Jack. Why don't you spend some time on the links, hit the buffet table, and then we'll send you back for another spin, so you can finally pick up that Best Supporting Oscar for 12 Angry Men."

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users