Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

A LITTLE LOOK AT ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA - THE RESTORATION ON BLU-RAY

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#81 of 85 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,431 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted August 14 2013 - 08:09 AM

A BD 50 for a movie of this length is fine - there would be no compression problems whatsoever if authored properly.  Very few here or elsewhere really understand what BD 25 and BD 50 is about and capable of.  The Beaver regularly assigns the word "modest" to any film put on a BD 25 and frequently to films of under ninety minute duration with no other material on the disc at all.  The problem with a film of the length of America is putting it on one disc if there are other things on that disc, like extras - that's the only way it would become problematic.

#82 of 85 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 14 2013 - 08:53 AM

A BD 50 for a movie of this length is fine - there would be no compression problems whatsoever if authored properly.  Very few here or elsewhere really understand what BD 25 and BD 50 is about and capable of.  The Beaver regularly assigns the word "modest" to any film put on a BD 25 and frequently to films of under ninety minute duration with no other material on the disc at all.  The problem with a film of the length of America is putting it on one disc if there are other things on that disc, like extras - that's the only way it would become problematic.

I understand, i have seen some great looking television shows from Warner Bros with a little over 300 minutes of HD footage, those shows don't have noticeable film grain though, compressing film grain is more difficult, requires a bit more of a higher bitrate than clean HD footage and two discs would make their job easier although they should be able to do it with one disc.

Edited by FoxyMulder, August 14 2013 - 09:05 AM.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#83 of 85 OFFLINE   Peter Neski

Peter Neski

Supporting Actor

• 903 posts

Posted August 14 2013 - 02:43 PM

I understand the trouble of inserting the extra footage, but maybe they should give up if it means they have to lower the PQ of the Original

which was stunning on the 35mm prints I saw, What I don't understand is why the original BR doesn't look better, its not all the fact that

that the disc wasn't dual layer ,I think its the transfer too  why its taking so long for a better one to come a long is a real shame ,I haven't even heard

a word of a new version.

#84 of 85 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,431 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted August 14 2013 - 10:07 PM

The original Blu-ray in the US just used an old transfer - color is right, but authoring isn't great and there have been rather major strides in scanning and transfers since then - a fresh new scan with proper color timing - we'll just keep repeating that until someone gets it.  And I REALLY don't care about all this footage there trying to shove back in the film - some of it isn't even finished - the scene with De Niro and Louise Fletcher has only production sound and isn't even mixed.  It's amateur and Mr. Leone would be flinging steaming pasta at his children and others who are turning his beautiful film into some hideous thing.

#85 of 85 OFFLINE   McCrutchy

McCrutchy

Second Unit

• 272 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted December 21 2013 - 03:18 PM

This would appear to be coming to the USA on Blu-ray in Spring 2014.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users