-

Photo

TCFHE Press Release: Life of Pi (3D Blu-ray Combo) (Blu-ray Combo)

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 of 36 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 16,651 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted January 15 2013 - 02:06 AM

I'm skipping it at home because I hated it in the theater but I DO recommend a viewing. Either you are going to be accepting of its religious messages and absolutely love it or reject them and be downright ANGRY about this film. Hard to find something this beautifully produced that can elicit such an extreme reaction from me.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#22 of 36 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,006 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 15 2013 - 02:57 AM

Either you are going to be accepting of its religious messages and absolutely love it or reject them and be downright ANGRY about this film.

I didn't have either reaction. While they don't mean much to me, I still was able to find the beauty in the messages and what Pi got out of them.

#23 of 36 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,319 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted January 15 2013 - 05:38 PM

Discussed here by projectionists

What an entertaining read. I was laughing at how cranky and confused the projectionists were because of the the artistic ratio shifting. I'm still not certain what the native aspect ratio is because it sounds like some of the projectionists were using incorrect settings thereby causing all sorts of anomalies during playback. One said the proper setting is "flat" so that the 2.35:1 scenes would then be letterboxed, and that's also what Ang Lee seemed to imply in his interview.

#24 of 36 OFFLINE   RBlenheim

RBlenheim

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted January 19 2013 - 08:43 AM

To most people who are mentioning the religious message of the film, they are missing the meaning entirely. I am a humanist (I call myself a 'spiritual agnostic'), and I am happy to report so many are not paying attention to the last part of the film, especially the dialogue. The film clearly says (in the story given by the older Pi at the end) that he knows the reality of what happened, and that his fantasy is clearly untrue, but he prefers believing it because his life has had too much pain and tragedy, let alone the guilt he can't deal with in himself. And he isn't stupid: he knows the terrible truth of what happened in spite of his story. The most important five words in the film are what PI mutters at the end of his monologue. What he says is: "So it is with God." What that clearly says is that God is ALSO a fantasy and untrue, but valuable for many in dealing with the pain and guilt in their lives. The film is, ironically enough, sort of a Trojan Horse that nails religion for what it is: A lie that is found to be useful. Bob Blenheim

#25 of 36 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,581 posts

Posted January 19 2013 - 09:44 AM

This sounds like one of those films that could be interpreted in whatever way a person wants, according to their belief system. Your unequivocal statements, according to your belief system, stray into a discussion on religion which is forbidden on this forum.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#26 of 36 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,515 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted January 19 2013 - 10:11 AM

In the book,
Spoiler
I'll go with the book (and the movie).

#27 of 36 OFFLINE   RBlenheim

RBlenheim

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted January 20 2013 - 05:37 AM

Edwin S: Is this also true your posting can be taken a number of ways? (Joke.) Actually, I don't know how else the phrase [SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]"So it is with God"[/SPOILER] could be interpreted in context. It's pretty obvious. By the way, I noticed Steve Tannehill had a comment hidden by spoiler. I didn't know you could do that. I think I need to beg your forgiveness if what I did was reveal a spoiler. I'm sorry, and I'll be senstive to that in the future! Bob

#28 of 36 OFFLINE   RBlenheim

RBlenheim

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted January 20 2013 - 06:00 AM

Edwin S.: What do you mean 'forbidden by this forum'? I was interpreting the film. Didn't intend to get into any religious discussion. I also thought it was more honest to admit my tendency as humanist. But I guess I do need to apologize for the last line of my posting sounding unequivocal. Sorry about that. I'm used to speaking (and writing) freely. I probably shouldn't have said that as if it were a fact. Of course, I am aware this is a film discussion board. We all share that love. Edwin S., You rightly pointed this out. Apologies. I'd like to end on a better note: "Life of Pi" is a wonderful film, and it's my vote for the Best Picture Oscar. It'll probably go to "Lincoln" or "Argo", though (also two great films). Peace, Bob

#29 of 36 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,146 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted January 20 2013 - 06:10 AM

Edwin S.: What do you mean 'forbidden by this forum'? I was interpreting the film. Didn't intend to get into any religious discussion. I also thought it was more honest to admit my tendency as humanist. But I guess I do need to apologize for the last line of my posting sounding unequivocal. Sorry about that. I'm used to speaking (and writing) freely. I probably shouldn't have said that as if it were a fact. Of course, I am aware this is a film discussion board. We all share that love. Edwin S., You rightly pointed this out. Apologies. I'd like to end on a better note: "Life of Pi" is a wonderful film, and it's my vote for the Best Picture Oscar. It'll probably go to "Lincoln" or "Argo", though (also two great films). Peace, Bob

I'm pretty sure that it can be discussed but only within the context of discussion of the specific film.
facebook.com/whotony

#30 of 36 OFFLINE   RBlenheim

RBlenheim

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted January 21 2013 - 04:53 AM

You're right. Sorry again.

#31 of 36 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,947 posts

Posted January 28 2013 - 10:36 PM

Updated this thread with studios' official press release as well as preorder links for

both the 3D and standard Blu-ray combo.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#32 of 36 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,319 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted March 06 2013 - 07:11 PM

Well the Blu-ray will be out this coming Tuesday and there are still no official reviews. I'm curious as to how the multiple aspect ratios are addressed in this release. DVDBeaver has screencaps out but they are all 1.85:1 and he makes no mention of the AR shifts. I hope the Blu-ray will mimic the theatrical release which shifted between 4 different aspect ratios.

#33 of 36 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,007 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted March 06 2013 - 08:50 PM

Well the Blu-ray will be out this coming Tuesday and there are still no official reviews. I'm curious as to how the multiple aspect ratios are addressed in this release. DVDBeaver has screencaps out but they are all 1.85:1 and he makes no mention of the AR shifts. I hope the Blu-ray will mimic the theatrical release which shifted between 4 different aspect ratios.

I'm pretty sure that the flying fish scene will be 2.35x1 with 3D projections going into the top and bottom black borders.

#34 of 36 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,261 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 06 2013 - 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mark-P 

As a general rule, the PR firm that handles Fox releases does not make it habit to send review copies out very much ahead of time. I will be receiving one of the review copies for HTF, but I wouldn't expect it before next Monday, and it could be later in the week.

#35 of 36 OFFLINE   TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,016 posts

Posted March 09 2013 - 01:58 AM

bluray.com has a review for the 3d version and mentions the shift in aspect ratios in the review. Jacob

#36 of 36 ONLINE   Gary Seven

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah

• 1,430 posts
  • LocationLake Worth, Florida

Posted March 28 2013 - 11:09 AM

I can appreciate Bob's interpretation and find it spot on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users