Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Blu Ray / TV / Speaker set-up

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Ravi83

Ravi83

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted December 19 2012 - 07:45 AM

Hi - This is killing me. . I really need some help...Please. I have the following. A samsung bluray home theartre - includes bluray player, and 4 speakers and subwoofer. A samsung HD TV A sky digital TV box. I have 2 HDMI Cables, and the red / white audio cables too. what do i need to do to allow the bluray player sound come from the speakers and the tv sound to also come through the speakers. I have already connected the speakers to the blu ray player thanks Ravi

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,981 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted December 19 2012 - 08:22 AM

What's the model number of the TV?

What's the model number of the Surround Sound system?

What outputs does the Sky box have?

Best case scenario, you'll need one more HDMI cable.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,468 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted December 19 2012 - 08:53 AM

Worst case, you'll be stuck in DPL purgatory... Cause we are hoping, hoping, you bought a craptastic HTiB with inputs.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   BrennanOSD

BrennanOSD

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted December 19 2012 - 10:04 AM

I'm assuming those Samsung speakers are amplified, so you wouldn't be using a receiver, right? - Brennan, OSD Audio

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Ravi83

Ravi83

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted December 19 2012 - 09:59 PM

I do not have a receiver. This is the spec for the sky ditial box DIGITAL AUDIO OUT: OPTICAL and COAXIAL digital-audio sockets for 5.1 surround sound AUDIO OUT (L and R): Phono sockets (RCA) COMPOSITE VIDEO OUT: Phono sockets (RCA) USB 2.0 : (for future connectivity) front and rear connectors SCART: SCART (composite video out; RGB out) : : 1.1 type A ETHERNET: (for future connectivity) RJ45, IEEE802.3 10-BASE-T and 100BASE-TX SATA: external HDD interface, SATA 1.0a The TV is - 40" D5000 Series 5 Full HD LED TV The Home cinema is - Samsung HT-C5550 Blu-Ray Home Cinema System thanks

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,981 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted December 20 2012 - 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Ravi83 

I do not have a receiver.
This is the spec for the sky ditial box
DIGITAL AUDIO OUT: OPTICAL and COAXIAL digital-audio sockets for 5.1 surround sound

If the Sky box had HDMI out, then it would be easy, since the Samsung has two HDMI inputs... but since Sky doesn't have that...

The fallback option is to use the digital optical input on the Samsung - manual page 14 number 6 on the back panel.  So use an optical/toslink cablefrom the Sky digital optical output to the digital optical input on the Samsung.

This will carry audio, for video, you will leave the Sky box connected directly to the TV with whatever you currently have.

To hear the audio, you will need to select the audio input on the Samsung.  Page 26 of the manual describes how to select the "D.In" input using the "Function" button on the remote.

Once all is connected and running, if you find that you're not getting any surround sound audio, you can press the "DD PL II" button on the remote to activate Dolby ProLogic II simulated surround sound (manual page 53).

You should be all set.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Ravi83

Ravi83

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted December 20 2012 - 01:51 AM

Thanks - will give it a go when i get home this evening. cheers mate. Ravi

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,468 posts

Posted December 20 2012 - 03:39 AM

Not sure how cable/sat works over there... When we upgrade our TV/Audio over here, we simply call the cable/sat provider and upgrade our equipment. I would assume Sky has HDMI equipment...

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   BrennanOSD

BrennanOSD

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted December 20 2012 - 06:29 AM

Are you really that obtuse?

See below...careful when assuming.

I do not have a receiver. This is the spec for the sky ditial box DIGITAL AUDIO OUT: OPTICAL and COAXIAL digital-audio sockets for 5.1 surround sound AUDIO OUT (L and R): Phono sockets (RCA) COMPOSITE VIDEO OUT: Phono sockets (RCA) USB 2.0 : (for future connectivity) front and rear connectors SCART: SCART (composite video out; RGB out) : : 1.1 type A ETHERNET: (for future connectivity) RJ45, IEEE802.3 10-BASE-T and 100BASE-TX SATA: external HDD interface, SATA 1.0a The TV is - 40" D5000 Series 5 Full HD LED TV The Home cinema is - Samsung HT-C5550 Blu-Ray Home Cinema System thanks

No Receiver? Pardon my "obtuseness", rather my lack of knowledge on that combo, but are the speakers each internally powered? What's your budget for a receiver? - Brennan, OSD Audio

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,981 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted December 20 2012 - 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Ravi83 

I have the following.
A samsung bluray home theartre - includes bluray player, and 4 speakers and subwoofer.

The Home cinema is - Samsung HT-C5550 Blu-Ray Home Cinema System

Originally Posted by BrennanOSD 

What's your budget for a receiver?

It's your typical HTiB, so no true "receiver" per se.  We get enough of these sorts of questions ("I have an HTiB system that works fine when I play movies on the built-in disc player, but I don't get surround sound for my cable/sat TV") that it's pretty obvious what the problem (and likely solution) is.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,468 posts

Posted December 20 2012 - 07:38 AM

It's your typical HTiB, so no true "receiver" per se.  We get enough of these sorts of questions ("I have an HTiB system that works fine when I play movies on the built-in disc player, but I don't get surround sound for my cable/sat TV") that it's pretty obvious what the problem (and likely solution) is.

That solution is usually accompanied by... "I bet the owners manual is still nicely wrapped in its cover..."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users