What's new

First setup! Need advice. (1 Viewer)

Cello

Auditioning
Real Name
Marcelo
This is my first set up. This is what I'm thinking of buying. My budget is $300-$350
http://www.amazon.com/Jamo-426-HCS-WENGE-5-Piece/dp/B003GGXGU6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3BU5H68K0C7WS&coliid=I2WU926NKMSJCR
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MORDCARN7CAL/MORDAUNT-SHORT-Carnival-7-8-65-Watt-Powered-Subwoofer-Calvados/1.html
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR391/DENON-AVR-391-5.1-Channel-AV-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html
This is what I'm thinking of getting. Any advice, comments or suggestions? Also does anyone have any one have any personal imput on sound quality?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I would, at least, buy the Jamo set in a hurry. That has to be a pricing screw up.
Here is the same thing from Vann's...
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/544351896
Edit:
That might not be a screw up. But people reading this...Vann's is out and it appears nobody else has these. Under $110...no-brainer...buy em up.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Even though that is a good price for the MS-C sub...you can do better...
http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-SUB-1000-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B0063NU3AA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1355939179&sr=1-1&keywords=dayton+sub+1000
On that 391...if it has all the features you need...sure.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
At the "low end" of the scale, from A4L, I tend to recommend...
RC330. $110 and is easier to use than a Denon.
AVR591, if you have a Wii or VCR(lowest price AVR with HDMI upconversion)
RC360, if you need more than one component input.
Each of those three are the least expensive to get "connection" upgrades...
But, nothing wrong with the 391...I just prefer the RC330 for $10 less.

Cello

Auditioning
Real Name
Marcelo
What's the difference in the sub you recommended? Aside from being 1" bigger? I don't know too much about subs.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
With subwoofers...just like in drag racing...
"There is no replacement for displacement"....
The bigger the driver, the lower notes it will attain...using less power to do so.
So, the MS-C you linked is, without a doubt, a more musical sub than the Dayton I linked...but.
If you buy that Jamo set, there is nothing the MS-C is going to add the S26 isn't going to do already.
If I were you...but just my opinion...
I'd forgo the sub, at the moment, and stick with the 5.0 and add the sub budget to your AVR. Again, nothing wrong with the 391, but if you add that $140 to the AVR, you can have the RC360, NR515, AVR890(yeah, that one is $300 by itself)...
But any of those three "$250-$300" AVR will improve your immediate enjoyment of you HT than the MS-C/Dayton with the 391.
Namely you could get networking/apple support...and in the case of the NR515, twin HDMI out. Then, in the next 4-6 months when you have "another $100"...pick up your sub then. And if you do that, you can take your time and you might find a used BIC F12/V1120, Pinnacle Sub225, Lava etc used on Craigslist or Ebay(you can search by distance on Ebay) for $100 and be better off.
Just my opinion.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you were near Chicago(like I am)...here is your Dayton Sub1000(could be an older version...but so what)...
http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/ele/3489067417.html ($50)
I'd take this, especially for $40, over the Dayton...(passive, so it needs an amp, mono brdgeable amps on Ebay for $100. $140 total and you beat anything you can buy new for the price)
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/ele/3488098875.html
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ele/3487694680.html (curious why this is so cheap)
If you tell us where you live...or if you can navigate CL, you can ask "Hey, I found X thing...is it worth it?"

Cello

Auditioning
Real Name
Marcelo
Wow, thanks for the advice. Also, the setup is mainly for music and the occasional blu ray. I've been reading reviews on the Jamos set and people are talking about needing 6ohm recievers, do most recievers support 6ohm speakers? Also, as far as the woofer goes, i should wait on it to get a better avr, correct? I really am considering this, but many reviews I've read say that the bass is really weak. Would you still suggest I wait it out with the sub, and will a better reciever give me the kick I want from the Jamos?

Cello

Auditioning
Real Name
Marcelo
Cello said:
Wow, thanks for the advice. Also, the setup is mainly for music and the occasional blu ray. I've been reading reviews on the Jamos set and people are talking about needing 6ohm recievers, do most recievers support 6ohm speakers? Also, as far as the woofer goes, i should wait on it to get a better avr, correct? I really am considering this, but many reviews I've read say that the bass is really weak. Would you still suggest I wait it out with the sub, and will a better reciever give me the kick I want from the Jamos?
That the bass is really weak on the Jamos set.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Cello said:
There are things to consider...You have X budget. How do you want to maximize it? Your answer will be different than mine. And different than the next guy...
I don't know what all the sources are that you plan to use with it. (source being cable/PS3/VHS/CD player)
I don't know if this is a house or an apt.
I don't know if you want a remote included with your AVR that will turn your TV off and on, and control "everything else".
The Jamo set for under $110 is a no-brainer. Hope you already bought it.
There is only "so much" a speaker its size is capable of, bass wise. The people complaining about "lack of bass" might be trying to listen to Snoop Dogg. Will those handle dubstep/rap/organ? No. But they are only $110.
In my home theaters, I prefer ease of use and "future expansion" abilities. Buying your subwoofer now, instead of waiting means...
You can play your dubstep just fine, but the "future use" of the AVR is going to be compromised.
Point being, the Dayton subwoofer is always going to be $100 for the 10". $120 for the 12"(well, for the immediate future being next year and 2 years...). Buy the Jamo and a receiver...if, for you, and your ears, there is "enough bass"...then you can worry more about the AVR now. Nobody said you can't buy the AVR391 and the Jamo, and if the Jamo, for you, workout just fine that you can't get into contact with A4L and decide you want to return the 391 for one "up the food chain".
Or, if the 391 and Jamo show up and the bass is nowhere near what you want...either start scouring for a "local bargain"...or buy the Dayton.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, are you going to notice a "real tangible audible difference" between the 391/591/RC330/NR515/890?
No. What you'll get is more features...whether you'd use the features...is up to you.
NR515 has networking and 2nd HDMI out. Maybe one day you want a TV and a projector...in the same room.
The 591 has HDMI upconversion...maybe one day you have a Wii/VCR/camera that only has analog. Connect it to the front of the AVR and you don't need to dig around the back of the TV.
A lot of people like dusting off old Atari and Nintendo Game Cubes. Nice and handy to be able to plug those into the front of the AVR.
Or you have a droid phone or an Ipod/Ipad you'd like to connect. Front HDMI makes that simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks