Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Looking to pick out a projector

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   davefrmsaltlake

davefrmsaltlake

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted December 18 2012 - 04:21 PM

Hi guys, I will be in the market for a new projector within the next year or year and a half and am a little unsure of what direction to go in and what reviews to trust on what products. My hopes are for great 3d capabilities, nice contrast, and possibly 4k upscaling done on the projector end because theres a possibility my seating is a bit closer than recommended to not need upscaling due to size of room. Currently I'm using a 90in projection screen and a dlp projector that does 720p. I have full control of light for the room. I'm not made of money but I do understand this could be a big purchase and so I would put my cap around 4,000 dollars or less. I've looked at lcd/dlp/and dila projectors but am unsure of how to begin comparing the pros and cons so any suggestions or insight into all of what I've said so far would be appreciated.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,118 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted December 18 2012 - 04:27 PM

There is no "con" for D-ILA...except maybe in price....but $4000 gets you comfortable...but... If you are a year away, to 18 months away...that is almost 2 cycles of product...and nearing 3...from now. New product is always announced Dec-Feb and released to the market Mar-Jul. So, if you are that far out...

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,662 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted December 18 2012 - 05:28 PM

Yeah, whatever you pick out now will be obsolete in 18 months!

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,729 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted December 18 2012 - 05:46 PM

If you are not looking to buy until 12-18 months from now, don't drive yourself crazy now because what you want doesn't even exist yet.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   davefrmsaltlake

davefrmsaltlake

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted December 25 2012 - 09:30 AM

Thanks for the input and advice you guys. I will wait and not destroy my mind trying to figure out what I will get.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users