Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

internal speakers blown; bypass for converter box tv? assistance please

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   alison11

alison11

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted December 17 2012 - 05:59 PM

Hi, I have a small quandary I could use some help with. I have a 28 inch toshiba tv. it's old school, with a dtv converter box. the internal speakers blew out last week. the output choices are red/white rca jacks. I have tried hooking up computer speakers with a 1/8 jack to a female jack/to 2rca splitter. audio is onlybarely discernible. is there a better bypass to achieve quality sound? thanks and happy holidays alison

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,198 posts

Posted December 17 2012 - 06:59 PM

The signal needs to b amplified. Either connect the R/W to an amp/receiver before sending it off to speakers, or connect the kind of computer speakers that have an amp built-in.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,953 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted December 18 2012 - 02:08 AM

If by chance you already have a pair of "regular" speakers laying around, here's a basic, no frills stereo amplifier that has RCA inputs and should work with just about any pair of modest bookshelf speakers.

http://www.parts-exp...tnumber=310-300

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   BrennanOSD

BrennanOSD

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted December 19 2012 - 06:37 AM

Hi, I have a small quandary I could use some help with. I have a 28 inch toshiba tv. it's old school, with a dtv converter box. the internal speakers blew out last week. the output choices are red/white rca jacks. I have tried hooking up computer speakers with a 1/8 jack to a female jack/to 2rca splitter. audio is onlybarely discernible. is there a better bypass to achieve quality sound? thanks and happy holidays alison

If the speakers blew, it sounds like you want to be able to hear some decent volume, right? If you want to do surround sound, you can get an inexpensive receiver and if you don't want speakers all around the room, you can do a soundbar that mounts to your tv. - Brennan, OSD Audio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users