Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Criterion Press Release: Badlands (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,574 posts

Posted December 17 2012 - 04:56 PM

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,155 posts

Posted December 17 2012 - 06:25 PM

I noticed there is no mention of WB in this press release, and they're not listed in the copyright line nor their logo featured among the other credits. Thus, contrary to what was thought previously, which was that WB was finally letting Criterion have an entry to their library, it would appear that in fact WB's rights to BADLANDS have expired and reverted back to producer Edward Pressman, much in the same manner that SISTERS, previously handled by Orion and (briefly) MGM, returned to him and was in turn directly licensed to Criterion. No matter: just glad to see another Malick classic get the Criterion treatment!
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   Eerik

Eerik

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted December 17 2012 - 10:44 PM

Absense of Warner's logo is interesting because in a recent Q&A Criterion confirmed their licensing deal with Warner (including Badlands). See this video at 36:40.

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,263 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted December 18 2012 - 12:16 AM

Finally!  I have yet to see this film, period, and have been looking forward to this release for what seems like years.  Whoever's logo is on it, it shall be mine!

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,036 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted December 18 2012 - 05:53 AM

I will happily upgrade my DVD copy for this one. Now we need Criterion' of Mallick's last couple pictures and we're all set!

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted December 18 2012 - 09:24 AM

I'm definitely interested to learn more about the situation, since the WB logo missing was the first thing I noticed in that press release lol
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,582 posts

Posted December 18 2012 - 10:21 AM

Great Movie. It will be mine.
See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#8 of 16 ONLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,320 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted December 19 2012 - 08:13 AM

Can anyone confirm if Badlands opened theatrically with a WB logo and if so was it the Saul Bass creation i love so much? I've never ever seen the film. Not sure what logo if any the  VHS and DVD releases contained.

If Badlands is being licensed from WB's like we believe it is, I wonder if they will force Criterion to use that new updated CGI logo preceding the film?

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,155 posts

Posted December 22 2012 - 12:18 AM

Can anyone confirm if Badlands opened theatrically with a WB logo and if so was it the Saul Bass creation i love so much? I've never ever seen the film. Not sure what logo if any the  VHS and DVD releases contained. If Badlands is being licensed from WB's like we believe it is, I wonder if they will force Criterion to use that new updated CGI logo preceding the film?

I saw BADLANDS in a revival screening, and I'm 95% sure it opened with the '70's Bass logo. If it did not, it would have been a '70's version of the shield, not the '90's one or the current CGI version.
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,574 posts

Posted December 22 2012 - 12:10 PM

NOW AVAILABLE FOR PREORDER

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts

Posted December 22 2012 - 03:24 PM

Saw a copy of the current DVD out tonight shopping, and the copyright is not WB, it's Pressman something, so it definitely seems like WB might be licensing things they control distribution on (or the rights have expired) but not WB Studio / New Line / Turner items. (I believe all the New Line titles are OOP since Warner bought them - I know there were some on DVD and all the John Waters titles from the LD days)

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,495 posts

Posted December 23 2012 - 12:11 PM

much in the same manner that SISTERS, previously handled by Orion and (briefly) MGM

And, as I'm sure you're aware SISTERS was on VHS via WB thru their one-time home video deal with Orion (covering AIP titles). [IMG ALT=""]http://www.hometheaterforum.com/content/type/61/id/172560/[/IMG]

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   Derrick King

Derrick King

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted December 23 2012 - 04:57 PM

Saw a copy of the current DVD out tonight shopping, and the copyright is not WB, it's Pressman something, so it definitely seems like WB might be licensing things they control distribution on (or the rights have expired) but not WB Studio / New Line / Turner items. (I believe all the New Line titles are OOP since Warner bought them - I know there were some on DVD and all the John Waters titles from the LD days)

It seems that WB/New Line let the rights to NAKED, HOOP DREAMS, and AN ANGEL AT MY TABLE lapse and Criterion has licensed them from their respective owners (the last two are on Criterion's Hulu channel and NAKED's Blu-ray is licensed from Film 4.) The other two, MY OWN PRIVATE IDAHO and SHORT CUTS are still in print (though the in print version of SHORT CUTS no longer has the book) and seem to still be with WB/New Line.

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts

Posted December 23 2012 - 05:10 PM

Also, those are all Fine Line titles, no?

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   Derrick King

Derrick King

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted December 23 2012 - 09:05 PM

I'm pretty sure that they were all Fine Line titles.

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   Ken Volok

Ken Volok

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted December 24 2012 - 08:48 PM

We could do a film version of "What's My Line". There is also Yellow Line Films and City Line Studios.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users