Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

TV shows and TV movies gone W I D E

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
388 replies to this topic

#41 of 389 OFFLINE   LeoA

LeoA

Screenwriter

• 1,079 posts
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted January 12 2013 - 04:31 PM

They're not my screenshots. So if the DVD image isn't representative of that scene on the actual DVD (Which I didn't personally bother to go check myself), feel free to criticize that reviewer's example that was supposedly showing that we were getting a bit larger viewing area with the new Blu-Ray transfers. :) Also, I wasn't suggesting that the transfers on the Blu-Ray were approaching a widescreen aspect ratio. Quite the opposite, in fact. I was trying to show him that the projected image he saw in that Bewitched scene, which he believed was what a full frame of that show would look like without any cropping, still wasn't suitable for full screen 16:9 viewing without losing a significant amount of area that we've traditionally seen on 4:3 tv's. But apparently those two two Dick Van Dyke Show screenshots from that review, portrayed pillarboxed in a 16:9 area, aren't demonstrating what a full 35MM frame from a show from that era would look like compared to how we've traditionally viewed it on tv over the years like I was thinking it was. So my mistake in thinking it was a good illustration to him that even a full 35MM frame was far from 16:9 proportions.

#42 of 389 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted January 12 2013 - 04:46 PM

I'm sure that all shows kept in mind the overscan issue and framed with important information in the center.

#43 of 389 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,153 posts
  • LocationSunny Central Florida

Posted January 13 2013 - 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by LeoAmes 

They're not my screenshots. So if the DVD image isn't representative of that scene on the actual DVD (Which I didn't personally bother to go check myself), feel free to criticize that reviewer's example that was supposedly showing that we were getting a bit larger viewing area with the new Blu-Ray transfers. Posted Image

Right - and I wasn't trying to connect you with the screenshots Leo, but was just using them to correct the record, and to point out that you can't always trust things you see on the Internet as total truth. I have no idea why Blu-ray.com would post that DVD image when it's not representative of what's actually on the DVD. Now, I suppose it's quite possible that their picture came from a different issue of THE DICK VAN DYKE show. My copy is from the five individual season box sets with the lenticular covers. I'd find it hard to imagine that a later full-series set had lesser image area - I assumed that the mastering of those DVDs were the same as the sets I have. But I guess there could be earlier, selective episode discs out there that might have had that more-cropped picture...

It was all more a case of:

Harry

My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#44 of 389 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted February 28 2013 - 09:35 AM

It should be said as well that "Panavision" is a company that rents cameras, so you can film in any ratio with "Panavision" cameras. Traditionally, the credit for flat (non-anamorphic) productions is "Filmed with Panavision cameras and lenses" and the credit for anamorphic "Panavision" process (as opposed to Bausch and Lomb "Cinemascope" lenses) is "Filmed in Panavision" Though as Seinfeld shows, even that isn't 100%
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#45 of 389 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,227 posts

Posted March 01 2013 - 05:41 AM

It should be said as well that "Panavision" is a company that rents cameras, so you can film in any ratio with "Panavision" cameras. Traditionally, the credit for flat (non-anamorphic) productions is "Filmed with Panavision cameras and lenses" and the credit for anamorphic "Panavision" process (as opposed to Bausch and Lomb "Cinemascope" lenses) is "Filmed in Panavision" Though as Seinfeld shows, even that isn't 100%

I think the "Filmed in Panavision"/"Filmed with Panavision cameras and lenses" distinction doesn't really mean much anymore. I'm think I'm finding that more and more movies made in the last 10 years or so (and sometimes even prior to that) do not accurately reflect the process used. I've observed a decent amount of examples of Anamorphic films that use the "Filmed with Panavision cameras and lenses" and flat films (Super 35 and even 1.85:1) use the "Filmed in Panavision" It seems to happen enough where you can't go by it anymore to indicate the process used.
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#46 of 389 OFFLINE   HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts
  • LocationPandora

Posted April 26 2013 - 08:14 AM

Can't edit the original post, must add

- The Invisible Man (1975) Blu-ray: apparently cropped and stretched avoid.

#47 of 389 OFFLINE   HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts
  • LocationPandora

Posted April 26 2013 - 09:50 AM

Apparently, the Japanese Columbo Blu-ray have the series in widescreen from season 8 on (ie the "new" series) whereas the US DVDs have it in widescreen from season 10 only.

Here are some glorious widescreen captures

vlcsnap2012120817h54m30.jpg

vlcsnap2012122211h15m55.jpg

cautionmurdercanbehazar.jpg

#48 of 389 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,300 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 26 2013 - 10:51 AM

Wow, look at all that beautiful empty space on the sides with all that information that's totally unimportant to the shots.

#49 of 389 OFFLINE   HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts
  • LocationPandora

Posted April 26 2013 - 11:41 AM

You must mean the caps. I'm not sure there is anything empty in the last cap, or in the right of the next to last. 

#50 of 389 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,300 posts

Posted April 26 2013 - 12:40 PM

I'll give you that the last cap doesn't have empty space but at the same time, seeing the barber's elbow & the wall and more of George Hamilton's shoulder doesn't matter to the image. However, you could draw a square on the other two caps and you'd lose all the excess info on the sides and you would end up with a 4x3 image that has no wasted space. Anyone shooting a TV show in the early 1990's would have known that it was only going to be seen 4x3 for years to come and would have composed the show for the ratio that the show was going to be seen in.

#51 of 389 OFFLINE   HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts
  • LocationPandora

Posted April 26 2013 - 10:39 PM

You can say that too to any widescreen show made in the "switch" era (1992-2002). Or even any current widescreen show, as protection for old tube TV still occurs. Or any widescreen film like Alien 3, shot with the essential info center for TV protection, with TV sized markers on the onset screens.

The thing is the makers have decided to switch the Columbo masters to widescreen for the new series in HD. That's the info we post here. The old 4/3 masters,with much excessive headroom, are still available on DVD.

#52 of 389 OFFLINE   Brett*H

Brett*H

Stunt Coordinator

• 212 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 11:37 AM

I believe Roswell (1999)  was filmed in Widescreen and broadcast in 4:3.

When the DVDs were released they were in the original widescreen (1.78:1) format.

Netflix broadcast some seasons in 4:3.

When we watched the show initially on Amazon Prime, all the seasons were in the widescreen format.

We liked the show so much that we bought all 3 DVD sets.

Heads up to 20th Century Fox: This show needs a Blu-ray release!

#53 of 389 OFFLINE   HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts
  • LocationPandora

Posted May 06 2013 - 12:40 AM

The last TV movies of Murder She Wrote also apparently have gone WIDE according to HDTV reports.

Only the last one seems to  have been released wide on DVD thought.

The Region 2 Universal Playback set of the four post-series TV movies, has South by SouthwestA Story to Die For and The Last Free Man presented in fullscreen, with The Celtic Riddle presented in widescreen.

For Travis, here's proof that current TV shows are still protecting for 4/3, this is the on set monitor from a shooting of the current Nikita series.

vlcsnap-2013-04-28-10h50m58s61.png

Moderator, is there any way I can edit the first post on a constant basis? I would like to update the list with links etc. Thanks in advance.

Edited by HDvision, May 06 2013 - 12:49 AM.

#54 of 389 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,300 posts

Posted May 06 2013 - 04:15 AM

I know they still proctect today but thanks to HDTVs, widescreen broadcasts and Blu-rays & DVDs, they know that the show is going to be seen at 1.78 by most of the audience and they would compose their shots for a 1.78 frame. 20 years ago when 4x3 was the only way that the audience would see their show, they would compose their shots for the 4x3 frame.

#55 of 389 OFFLINE   HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts
  • LocationPandora

Posted May 06 2013 - 07:06 AM

Actually they would do just the same... keep the essential action within a 4/3 frame (either central, or far right depending if they shot Panavision or not), and covering their base with more captured left and right information than the 4/3 extraction made from the negs.

That's why when faced with a remastering, reissue project, most producers and directors choose to go W I D E. The extra left and right frame information is there.

Adding extra left and right information on TV shows doesn't violate basic film composition rules and framings. However, adding extra top and bottom does.

That's why shows remastered in 4/3 with extra top and bottom info not seen on original broadcasts look as bad as unmatted widescreen films.

However, same shows remastered in 16/9 with extra left and right will look just fine and future proof ie longer rerun life.

Edited by HDvision, May 06 2013 - 07:07 AM.

#56 of 389 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,161 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 06 2013 - 08:35 AM

Moderator, is there any way I can edit the first post on a constant basis? I would like to update the list with links etc. Thanks in advance.

I'll see what I can do...

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#57 of 389 OFFLINE   HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts
  • LocationPandora

Posted May 06 2013 - 03:02 PM

Thanks in advance MIke :)

#58 of 389 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,161 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 07 2013 - 11:22 AM

Thanks in advance MIke :)

And so it is done.  :biggrin:

• HDvision likes this

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#59 of 389 OFFLINE   HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts
  • LocationPandora

Posted May 10 2013 - 01:27 PM

Thanks, works just fine! Added the Columbo Blu-rays and will add the Murder She Wrote episode soon.

#60 of 389 OFFLINE   benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,853 posts

Posted May 10 2013 - 04:40 PM

I don't know if this one's already been mentioned, but the mid 1990s BBC miniseries Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth, Jennifer Ehle, etc., was redone from 4:3 to 16:9. And it looks good! This is surprising because it was only filmed in 16mm. But it works imho.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users