This is the thread to list all TV shows, mini series and TV movies previously square and now gone wide. I mean W I D E. Like 4/3 to 1.78:1 W I D E. DVDs or Blu-rays.
The goal is to provide in one internet forum place a list and links of all those TV shows and movies gone W I D E, for those who enjoy revisiting these past shows and movies in a more up to date format.
- Angel season 1 widescreen on Netflix. Not available in widescreen on DVD. Creator says the show is widescreen.
- Babylon 5 shot in Super 35, so all live footage extend the sides, while all SFX footage is center cropped.
- Battlestar Galactica the movie (Best Buy Exclusive) Blu-ray. Matted to 1.85:1 also on DVD
- Battlestar Galactica original series is headed to Blu-ray in widescreen. Yeah!
- Buffy (more on the sides, but detrimental to the framing in some instances. The creator says the whole series is intended 4/3 unlike his other series Angel and Firefly, however, the show was shown widescreen on TV starting with later seasons.)
- CI5: The New Professionals aired in 4/3 but now airing in widescreen on Sky, just have been released uncut on a DVD set in australia, in widescreen 1.78:1.
- Columbo japanese Blu-ray box set: have all the "new" series episodes (late 80's on) in glorious extended WIDESCREEN 1.78:1!
- Columbo Mystery Movie Collection 1991/1993 *extend on the sides with minimal top and bottom cropping
- Columbo Mystery Movie Collection 1994/2003 *extend on the sides with minimal top and bottom cropping
- CSI season one: aired in widescreen, but DVDs were 4/3. Correctly released in widescreen on Blu-ray.
- Dark Angel *aired in 4/3 and US DVDs in 4/3, but european DVDs in widescreen. Looks intended for widescreen.
- Dark Shadows 90
- Entourage season 1 & 2 are widescreen on iTunes and on Blu-ray, not on DVD (previously 4/3).
- Firefly aired in both widescreen and 4/3, intended for widescreen. Out of interest, the widescreen version use the exact same process as most widescreen versions listed in here, ie the 4/3 extraction is off center, to the right.
- Friends The Complete Series *extend on the sides. Show was shot in 3 perf 35mm
- Kung Fu season 1 °not recommended, seems to be a crop of the already cropped 4/3 masters
- Queen of Swords (originaly broadcast in 4/3 but shot in Super 16 widescreen, DVD are widescreen)
- That 70s Show
- The SHIELD seasons 1-5 exists in both 4/3 and 16/9 on R1 DVD. Show creators says it's intended for 4/3.
- The Sopranos seasons 1 & 2 were issued in 4/3 DVD in a few select countries like France, now reissued in correct 16/9 in DVD. Also widescreen on Blu-ray.
- Thunderbirds *severely tilt & scanned with little more info on the sides. 1.66:1 instead of 1.77:1 would have worked better.
Shows previously 4/3 but spotted widescreen on HDTV
- Bewitched °1.66:1 recrops of the 4/3 masters. Some eps looks OK while other totally doesn't.
- The Equalizer °not recommended, seems to be a crop of the already cropped 4/3 masters
- Hogan's Heroes *some reports it looks fine, other it doesn't, can anyone add their own caps or input?
- The Prisoner °1.66:1 recrops of the 4/3 masters. Works really well in the wider format.
- Space 1999. 1.78:1. Adds a bit to the sides and crops top and bottom with tilt & scan. Impressive in 16/9, in comparison the 4/3 version looks drab and badly framed, with too much dead space top and bottom.
- The Wire. The absolute 4/3 show is now available on HDTV in widescreen, extended on the sides.
- Wiseguy *1.78:1 extend on the sides with minimal top and bottom cropping.
- The X-Files 1.78:1 currently airing on German HDTV. Depending on the seasons and episodes, either recrops of the 4/3 masters, or extend on the sides with minimal top and bottom cropping, according to reports on fans forums.
- Pride and Prejudice 1995 BBC production, *extend on the sides with minimal top and bottom cropping the 4/3 version is simply unwatchable after seeing the majesty of the widescreen Blu-ray.
- The Quick and the Dead
- V the mini series *creator says originally intended in widescreen/ looks a bit compromised thought
- V The Final Battle *? probably not intended either but nonetheless issued in WIDE to go along with the first mini-series.
- The Man In the Iron Mask 1977 with Richard Chamberlain and Patrick McGoohan
- The Heist with Pierce Brosnan
- Traveling Man with John Lithgow
- From The Earth to the Moon (HBO series)
- The Josephine Baker Story
- The Late Shift
- And The Band Played On
- The Second Civil War
- Duel (1971) is now in widescreen 1.85:1 on Blu-ray (previous DVD was 4/3)
Edited by HDvision, December 04 2014 - 10:06 AM.