This is the thread to list all TV shows, mini series and TV movies previously square and now gone wide. I mean W I D E. DVDs or Blu-rays. My goal is to provide all the list and links all in one place, for those who enjoy revisiting these past shows and movies in a more up to date format.
Feel free to debate this trend also.
TV movies / Miniseries:
- Bourne Identity
- City Beneath Sea *composed for widescreen, protected for 4/3
- John Carpenter's Elvis. *extend on the sides with minimal top and bottom cropping
- John Carpenter's Someone Watching Me *extend on the sides with minimal top and bottom cropping
- Lonesome Dove *extend on the sides with minimal top and bottom cropping
- The Quick and the Dead
- V the mini series *creator says originally intended in widescreen/ looks a bit compromised thought
- V The Final Battle *? probably not intended either but nonetheless issued in WIDE to go along with the first mini-series.
- Babylon 5 shot in Super 35, so all live footage extend the sides, while all SFX footage is center cropped.
- Buffy (more on the sides, but detrimental to the framing, the creator says the whole series is intended 4/3)
- Columbo Mystery Movie Collection 1991/1993 *extend on the sides with minimal top and bottom cropping
- Columbo Mystery Movie Collection 1994/2003 *extend on the sides with minimal top and bottom cropping
- Dark Angel *aired in 4/3 and US DVDs in 4/3, but european DVDs in widescreen. Looks intended for widescreen.
- Dark Shadows 90
- Friends The Complete Series *extend on the sides. Show was shot in 3 perf 35mm
- Kung Fu season 1 °not recommended, seems to be a crop of the already cropped 4/3 masters
- That 70s Show
- The SHIELD seasons 1-5 exists in both 4/3 and 16/9 on R1 DVD. Show creators says it's intended for 4/3.
- Thunderbirds *severely tilt & scanned with little more info on the sides. 1.66:1 instead of 1.77:1 would have worked better.
Shows previously 4/3 but spotted widescreen on HDTV
- Bewitched °1.66:1 recrops of the 4/3 masters. Some eps looks OK while other totally doesn't.
- The Equalizer °not recommended, seems to be a crop of the already cropped 4/3 masters
- Hogan's Heroes *some reports it looks fine, other it doesn't
- The Prisoner °1.66:1 recrops of the 4/3 masters. Works really well in a wider format.
- Space 1999. 1.78:1. Adds a bit to the sides and crops top and bottom with tilt & scan. 1.66:1 would look better.
- Wiseguy *extend on the sides with minimal top and bottom cropping
Edited by HDvision, --.