What's new

CHINA BEACH IS COMING!!!!!!!!!!!! (2 Viewers)

Real Name
Gerald
It's finally happening, China Beach is coming!
From Tv show on dvd:
TIME LIFE TO RELEASE LONG AWAITED,
EMMY AWARD-WINNING TELEVISION GEM
CHINA BEACH
One of the Most Requested Unreleased TV Series
To Make its Home Entertainment Debut in 2013
FAIRFAX, VA, December 14, 2012 - Following in the footsteps of critically acclaimed and best-selling deluxe DVD sets of THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW, THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN and many others, the TV DVD archivists at Time Life, in conjunction with Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group, will release the beloved ABC-TV series CHINA BEACH in 2013. One of the most eagerly-anticipated unreleased television programs of all time, according to TVShowsOnDVD.com the release marks the first time the complete series will be available on any format. CHINA BEACH: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION will be offered as a singular collector's set featuring all 62 episodes (64 hours), and several hours of specially-created bonus features including a cast reunion and interviews with Dana Delany, Marg Helgenberger, producers John Sacret Young and John Wells, and many other cast and crew members. CHINA BEACH: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION will initially be available exclusively online, available for pre-order in early 2013, before it rolls out nationally to retail later in the year.
From the moment CHINA BEACH debuted in 1988 with its iconic opening credits backed by the Supremes' "Reflections," it was hailed as groundbreaking. In an era of testosterone-driven Vietnam movies such as Platoon, CHINA BEACH - created by award-winning journalist and Vietnam vet William Broyles Jr. and John Sacret Young - delivered the war from a unique perspective: that of the women, military personnel and civilians who were present during the conflict. Set in the Vietnam locale of China Beach, at the "Five and Dime" (a.k.a. the 510th Evacuation Hospital and R&R), the cast was made up of US Army doctors and nurses, officers and soldiers, Red Cross volunteers and civilian personnel, either on leave or at the end of their tour of duty. The supremely talented ensemble cast featured many actors beginning to make their marks on the industry, and included Dana Delany (First Lieutenant/Captain Nurse Colleen McMurphy), Marg Helgenberger (K.C. Koloski), Michael Boatman (SP4 Sam Beckett), Robert Picardo (Captain Dr. Dick Richard) and Ricki Lake (Holly Pelegrino). The other side of the camera boasted such accomplished talents as multiple Emmy Award-nominee Writer/Director/Executive Producer Sacret Young and producer John Wells, who would go on to executive produce "ER" and "The West Wing."
One of the hallmarks of the series was the use of music -- iconic, emotional music from the era featuring everyone from Bob Dylan and Joan Baez, to Aretha Franklin and Stevie Wonder. It's the music, in fact, that has prevented CHINA BEACH from being released at all. Time Life spent over a year painstakingly clearing the rights to nearly 500 musical copyrights, so the program will be released with almost all of the original music intact.
Taken from: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/China-Beach-Complete-Collection/17869#ixzz2F2VG6VC3
Here's hoping one day they can do the same with Knots Landing, another show with music clearance issues.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I am looking forward to this. I hope with only 62 episodes (I thought it was more), it will not cost an arm and a leg.
I'm a little bit bothered by the 'almost all' in the last sentence. TL has gotten some grief over their Carol Burnett release (more because they used the term 'uncut'). If they market this properly (and don't mess with the opening) they should be ok
David

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
A little bothered by the "almost all" but if they are right and they received about 500 clearances, that's quite a bit. I will take it as I can get it at this point, it will be great to have on DVD.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
For those fans of the show who didn't like it enough or have the foresight to record it when it aired on ABC, you should be quite pleased. I would assume that most people who really did like it already have it as by the time this show premiered, VCRs were quite common and tape prices had come down significantly.

Real Name
Gerald
People will just complain about everything, so what if it's almost all? I've been waiting a long time for the show to come out and it's finally coming. Besides, the fact that they managed to clear most of the music is a plus! I mean, if you think about it, they could have just edited some scenes or changed the music and they didn't. I don't know, but people seem to think that clearing music is really easy and cheap, but it's not. I certainly appreciate all the hard work and the fact that we're actually getting some special features.
While I'm happy that it's finally getting released, it is kind of sad that Knots Landing, a great show with a similar problem, is still stalled.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
dressedtokill said:
People will just complain about everything, so what if it's almost all?
I don't know if anyone is really complaining as much as they're worried about how much may or may not be cut. Personally, I have no real interest in this release but if I did, I would be curious exactly what or more specifically how much is missing (especially after TIme Life's uncut Carol Burnetts that weren't uncut).
Neil Brock said:
For those fans of the show who didn't like it enough or have the foresight to record it when it aired on ABC, you should be quite pleased. I would assume that most people who really did like it already have it as by the time this show premiered, VCRs were quite common and tape prices had come down significantly.
There's no need to constantly tell people what they should have been doing 25 years ago. We all know that you're the best collector in the whole wide world and that we all pale in comparison to you so please let us lowly folk who haven't been recording tapes and trading 16mm prints since the dawn of the medium to continue our lowly existence without your judgment.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
"Almost all" is troubling, but you know there will be a happy guinea pig or reviewer out there to either fuel the fire or allay our fears when it's released.
So, hey, if it's not too bad, I'm on board.
And maybe this gives hope for WKRP, Wonder Years, and other musically hamstrung shows.

Mary_P

Second Unit
The Obsolete Man said:
And maybe this gives hope for WKRP, Wonder Years, and other musically hamstrung shows.
From your lips, er, fingers, to ... well, whatever. I hope it happens, and I'm cautiously optimistic about this "China Beach" set. If they were able to clear nearly 500 songs, that's gotta be a pretty hefty percentage of the tunes overall.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
If they could clear 500 songs, I'm wondering why Tour of Duty couldn't have done the same, same era (Vietnam War) largely (If not exactly) the same music. Yes, I know there is a British import that has done so, but wondering why an American company couldn't have done the same.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
mattCR said:
A little bothered by the "almost all" but if they are right and they received about 500 clearances, that's quite a bit.   I will take it as I can get it at this point, it will be great to have on DVD.
I wonder what "almost all" menas in terms of which songs and artists. Consitering Time-Life has had long-term relationships and licnecing deals with all the major lables for their compilations, I wonder which ones they had problems with.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
TravisR said:
There's no need to constantly tell people what they should have been doing 25 years ago.
Neil was making a point that any fans of a show broadcast durring the video era had the opportinity to record the show then, as with ANY show in the era of AFFORDABLE home recording. Those who did, great (especially in this era of edited shows), those who didn't will just have to live with the versions broadcast now,or released on home video.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Professor Echo said:
Neil has made that point ad infinitum, ad nausea. He needs to give it a rest and move on. Everything Travis said is right.
It's a point well worth mentioning more than once. Simple fact is there were forms of TV show collecting long before DVD. As far as I see it, Neil is free to bring it up as much as he likes. In general, I find Neil's post informative and I have no problem with him expressing his views or options.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Neil Brock said:
A sensible comment, seeing as how this is the tv on dvd forum; not the tv self-recorded 25 years ago on aging vhs tapes forum.

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JOE
This is fantastic news, I've been waiting a long time for this. I am just grateful that I will be able to see one of my favorite shows CHINA BEACH on DVD in my lifetime.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Good thing this is coming on DVD! I do hope it is affordable. About all this hullabaloo, I was born in 78, quite young at the time of initial broadcast, I recorded what I could of tons of shows. Despite my best efforts of preserving several programs, they all caught a white mold and there was nothing I cold do to preserve them. Furthermore, my father had a distaste for this show which did indeed limit my exposure though I did like it. All of this being said, many of my recordings were dependent upon weather conditions, yes, many a storm or vacuum cleaner did make it to where the recording was not as good as a DVD release could be. Also I did not have full access to the vcr. There are plenty of us on here who did try, and some of us out here who sort of expected it to remain on television, or at least, were too new to realize long lasting shows would not find homes well in syndication in this day and age. I did manage to preserve many a short lived series, unfortunately that white mold I mentioned before destroyed them. And I stored them well, it was just my parents house was rubbish.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
As soon as the list of edited songs is released this forum will be lit up with people bitching about it.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
David Rain said:
As soon as the list of edited songs is released this forum will be lit up with people bitching about it.
I've got a feeling it's not going to that bad. Keep in mind the large amount of 1960's music TIME-LIFE already has under licence for their CD compilations. so it's not much of a jump for them to get additional clearances for the shows. I guess that is the whole point of these being released by TIME-LIFE - they can handle the clearances due to their relationship with the record companies to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks