What's new

Help me buy a receiver please (1 Viewer)

dennis boyle

Auditioning
Real Name
Dennis
Hi first time on here and need some help please. I have the option if buying two receivers both for the same money. Which in general is better the Onkyo TX-NR808 or the integra DTR 8.8. Thx for your advice
Edit:
Spell-checked the title...

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The Integra is the higher quality receiver by a wide margin. It's better built and has a lot of features the Onkyo doesn't have.
However, the one flaw is the Integra provides HDMI 1.3 vs the Onkyo 1.4. The biggest loss from the version difference is lack of ARC (important if you are running an OTA antenna to your TV) and 3D (important if you are considering 3D). You also don't get 4K resolution, but I don't think that technology will be big for another receiver cycle anyway.

dennis boyle

Auditioning
Real Name
Dennis
Thanks for that, I did some research and pretty much you've confirmed my thoughts the lack of 3d doesn't bother me, appreciate your advice

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Both have the possibility of running very warm (hot, really) so make sure you have enough space around them, especially on top. I had an Integra 8.9 a couple of years ago and it got so hot in Standby Mode I had to un-plug it when I wasn't using it. Integra's are very nice receivers though.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I currently have a 7.8. I seriously could use it as a camp stove.
Don't shove it in a cabinet and let it get hot. Heat won't bother it, as long as it can vent.

Number1AVdork

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Umberto Smith
What features do you need? The best receiver is the one with the most features that will actually be used. If you won't use the features of the more expensive unit it might not necessarily be better.
I don't think Onkyo is as well made as it used to be.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
What features do you need? The best receiver is the one with the most features that will actually be used. If you won't use the features of the more expensive unit it might not necessarily be better.
The OP was asking about two receiver that cost the same amount. I'm going to assume he wants the one with the most features, regardless if he thinks he's going to use them.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Just wait until you cause a brown out in your HT room...
That 8.8 will suck the entire 9.5 amp off the wall...of course...if you really need it to produce 140+wpc...at one time.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
dennis boyle said:
Thanks for your advise, I have bought the Integra.
Make sure to use a good surge protector with an easily accessible On/Off switch. A fan designed for a laptop has been know to help with the cooling as well. All of this doesn't mean you will have the same heat issue as some of us have had but it was necessary for use to make you aware of the possibility. Onkyo's/Integra's of the last two to three years haven't had this problem, not to my knowledge anyway.

dennis boyle

Auditioning
Real Name
Dennis
thanks gene c I appreciate the advice. This is all new to me so any help is appreciated. In terms of the surge protector, i have done some research and the main gist seems to be Clamping voltage needs to be low and the Joules high. In NZ our standard electrical line is 240volts.
Could you recommend the max Clamping voltage and minimum joules I should look for in a surge protector based on this. From what I have found it seems to be recommended around 330volts for clamping and 3000 joules??
In relation to the heat issue, you suggest a fan designed for a laptop? Excuse my ignorance again. So you would just place the fan on top of the reciever, in some of the forums I have read it gave mixed messages about this as it apparently causes a lot of dust to enter the reciever?
Is this link the tye of thing you are talking about
http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Profile-Component-Theater-Products/dp/B000QJ4ZE2

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
dennis boyle said:
thanks gene c I appreciate the advice. This is all new to me so any help is appreciated. In terms of the surge protector, i have done some research and the main gist seems to be Clamping voltage needs to be low and the Joules high. In NZ our standard electrical line is 240volts.
Could you recommend the max Clamping voltage and minimum joules I should look for in a surge protector based on this. From what I have found it seems to be recommended around 330volts for clamping and 3000 joules??
In relation to the heat issue, you suggest a fan designed for a laptop? Excuse my ignorance again. So you would just place the fan on top of the reciever, in some of the forums I have read it gave mixed messages about this as it apparently causes a lot of dust to enter the reciever?
Is this link the tye of thing you are talking about
http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Profile-Component-Theater-Products/dp/B000QJ4ZE2
I'll chime in...about the fans, cause I know squat about 240v...
Fans, like the one you linked, are always better than not having anything and just letting "convection do its thing". If this is where it is not enclosed, at all, on any of the 4 sides...or top...you can let convection do its thing. But, adding airflow is always a good idea.
I'm not into "surge protectors". I prefer a UPS. UPS gives you three things...
1. Surge.
2. Power conditioning.
3. Battery back up.
As long as the UPS "matches" the amp draw of its connected equipment, you are good to go. It would help to know the actual amp draw of the 240V DTR 8.8. I'm sure it is 9.5.

dennis boyle

Auditioning
Real Name
Dennis
Thanks Sam, will look into the UPS option. No idea of the actual amp draw (don't have the reciever for another two weeks) and there doesn't seem to be an easy way of working it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks