• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,134 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted December 13 2012 - 07:35 AM

Has anyone heard anything on this? A couple of years ago, someone from Greg Evigan's Twitter page (if it is really him) tweeted the series was coming to DVD as of last year. Well, here we are at the end of this year and still nothing. I have the bootleg from Trucker Flicks and I'm beginning to think that's all we'll ever see. I saw someone mention that if Universal doesn't renew copyrights it may soon go into the public domain. How does one go about finding out?

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,099 posts

Posted December 15 2012 - 01:46 PM

Current copyright term is 95 years. The show started in 1979 so it will enter public domain in the year 2074. Provided there are no changes to the law by then. So you only have another 62 years to wait.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

• 1,134 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted December 15 2012 - 05:10 PM

Current copyright term is 95 years. The show started in 1979 so it will enter public domain in the year 2074. Provided there are no changes to the law by then. So you only have another 62 years to wait.

Ha! I had read someone saying it was only 25 years but that didn't sound quite right. In 2074, I'll be 101, so I might still be around..... :D

Find me on Facebook

My blog

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   sako0099

sako0099

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted December 16 2012 - 06:24 AM

It is 95 years BUT they have to renew it during those years, thus is why alot of stuff from 30 through now is public domain and are not 95 years old Universal are just lazy and ignorant and holding on to some great shows the people want to own LEGAL copies of

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,247 posts

Posted December 16 2012 - 06:45 AM

The Copyright can be renewed until 95 years AFTER the last person who worked on the Program has passed away. We'll all be dust in the wind before this show and countless others ever become Public Domain. :f

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 36,372 :biggrin: ( 755 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,413  :biggrin: Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B)

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

• 1,134 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted December 16 2012 - 08:07 AM

I would love to see both BJ and Lobo on DVD. I bought BJ from Trucker Flicks and they announced they were doing Lobo but I've never saw it. Of course, the picture quality is a crap shoot but it's still classic BJ.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,157 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted December 16 2012 - 09:05 AM

It is 95 years BUT they have to renew it during those years, thus is why alot of stuff from 30 through now is public domain and are not 95 years old Universal are just lazy and ignorant and holding on to some great shows the people want to own LEGAL copies of

No, copyright laws changed in the late 1970s, making the term longer than it originally was. Things from earlier eras are public domain because the copyright term was only 28 years at that point, and things didn't always get renewed, slipped through the cracks, or no one cared to renew it. It's A Wonderful Life, for example, slipped into PD because of a clerical error.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

• 1,134 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted December 16 2012 - 12:22 PM

No, copyright laws changed in the late 1970s, making the term longer than it originally was. Things from earlier eras are public domain because the copyright term was only 28 years at that point, and things didn't always get renewed, slipped through the cracks, or no one cared to renew it. It's A Wonderful Life, for example, slipped into PD because of a clerical error.

Okay, that explains a lot. I knew, for instance, that 4 episodes of The Three Stooges and most of the first two seasons of The Beverly Hillbillies had went public domain. Makes sense now! Thanks, Obsolete Man! :)

Find me on Facebook

My blog

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   banjo78

banjo78

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted December 27 2012 - 06:04 PM

I know of a company(non-American) who is currently trying to secure this for DVD release. Universal are not making this easy though. Will keep posting when there are updates

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

• 1,134 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted December 28 2012 - 09:06 AM

What I wish is that there were a foreign company out there that would concentrate on nothing but classic/hard-to-find shows. There's a German company named Bear Family that does this for music. I have sets of their's on Johnny Horton, Hank Snow, Jim Reeves and Jimmie Rodgers. Tons of stuff including alternate takes, demos, overdubs, etc. They are a bit expensive but well worth it. I've wished for years that they would get into the television on DVD market.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   banjo78

banjo78

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted December 29 2012 - 11:28 AM

UNIVERSAL SUCKS - THEY ARE SCUM HOLDING THIS SHOW ---- ASK ABOUT LOBO AS WELL OK ??????????

Yes they are and I will ask about LOBO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users