What's new

KDL-40EX40B FIBER TO SC-HT05 (1 Viewer)

Bruce Logan

Auditioning
Real Name
Bruce Logan
Attempting to connect Sony KDL-40EX40B TV to Panasonic SC-HT05 HTIB.
If I use RCA works fine.
Coaxal from DVD to HTIB give 5.1 sound.
Fiber from TV to HTIB works for 5 or 10 minutes then cuts out. May be accompanied by a chicking noise. Since it works for a few minutes I would assume it is getting the signal okay. I have verified no kinks in the line and have tireds two differant fiber cables.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Check the "obvious" first...
If the TV allows variable audio output over the toslink, make sure the volume is up.
What are you trying to get out of the TV? Other HDMI source? Other analog in? OTA???
If OTA, is the audio output set up 2.0 or 5.1?

Bruce Logan

Auditioning
Real Name
Bruce Logan
Yes it is set to variable.
The volume is fine for the first 5-10 minutes so not sure what turning it up would accomplish.
I have the DVD connected to the TV with HDMI and I have the DVD connected to the HTIB via coaxel. DVD plays in 5.1 just fine.
The only common connection types between the TV and the HTIB is fiber.
Not sure what you mean by OTA is that something I should see within the TV setup?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Over The Air. It is how we used to get TV back in the dark ages before "cable" ran in the suburbs. It is also your best source for local HD programming...depending where you live. Obviously places like NYC/Chicago/LA have tons. Bozeman, Montana...not so much.
What "sound" are you getting out of the TV?
Its own tuner(OTA or cable)?
Another "source"?
Also, you bought an HTiB. Maybe it "needs" full line level. If you use variable, and lower the volume (as in take it off line level) the HTiB might have signal problems. Besides, you are supposed to turn the volume all the way up and use the volume on the HTiB.

Bruce Logan

Auditioning
Real Name
Bruce Logan
I am on Centurylink cable with HDMI from cable box to TV and in the past RCA from TV to HTIB. Up until I converted from RCA to fiber it worked justy fine. TV has the fixed/variable setting but also a setting to indicate if the audio is external to the TV.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
When running audio from an external source "through" the TV and out to your HTIB (or receiver if you had one) the audio is always* downmixed to 2.0 analog. Converting from RCA to optical gains you absolutely nothing (except headaches).

Your best bet is to run a digital optical audio connection directly from the cable box to the HTIB.

* For years there have been rumors of some mystical TVs that preserved digital multichannel audio formats from external sources when they are output the digital connection, but these are very few and very far between. 99.9% of all TVs output 2.0 for any external source.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The audio should(like JC said) be going STB directly to the HTiB...as that will be the only way to get DD.
The only snag will be if your "box" kills the toslink when you activate the HDMI.
And there "could" be another problem as well. The TV taking 5.1(cause I assume you changed the audio in the STB to DD) and there is an "audio bottleneck" happening in the TV...cause the TV can't digest DD.

Bruce Logan

Auditioning
Real Name
Bruce Logan
ran the fiber from the cable box motorola VIP1200 to the HTIB unit, same peoblem. Leads me to believe it is the HTIB box. I am getting a surround sound bar for Christmas for my other TV so perhaps I can do some additional trouble shooting at that time.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Have you tried swapping the toslink from the DVD player?
To me, sounds like the STB might be having an issue.
If you find the DVD player does it on the other toslink, then the STB works fine...then yes, it is the HTiB...then you can get this...
http://www.amazon.com/Nyrius-SW100-Digital-Selector-Compatible/dp/B000812QC6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1355348817&sr=1-1&keywords=toslink+switch

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks