Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

Hans Christian Andersen Blu-ray Review

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,109 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted December 12 2012 - 05:39 AM

Capsule/Summary ***½

Hans Christian Andersen is a highly fictionalized family musical from independent producer Samuel Goldwyn and Director Charles Vidor about the life of the famous Danish author and poet.  A gently charismatic performance from Danny Kaye, a score filled to the brim with memorable Frank Loesser songs, and gobs of eye candy production design help to overcome a plot that frequently meanders and stalls.  It is presented on Blu-ray with a bright and detailed transfer derived from an element with occasional registration issues.  The only on disc extra is the film’s theatrical trailer, but the 40 page book with which the Blu-ray is packaged includes a good deal of informative text and behind the scenes photos and art.   ...And They Lived Happily Ever After: A final word with discussion of the film’s success and a relevant quote from Samuel Goldwyn
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,780 posts

Posted December 12 2012 - 05:44 AM

One of my all-time childhood favorites finally makes it to Blu!   Looking forward to watching this.  So happy to hear the transfer is better than average.  Of course, under Warner's care, I would expect nothing less.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 6,050 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted December 12 2012 - 09:45 AM

Did they include the ballet too... ? :( Just kiddin... :) Looking forward to having this. But I'll hold off for a price break. Certainly won't bother with my VHS anymore.
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Everett Stallings

Everett Stallings

Second Unit

• 400 posts
  • LocationWilmington,De

Posted December 12 2012 - 10:49 AM

Just got "Guy's & Doll's", Will be picking up Hans!
Former projectionist @ all downtown theatres in Balto. City.Which are all closed. frown.gif

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Clay_E

Clay_E

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts

Posted December 29 2012 - 10:57 PM

So glad to see this has been released. Hopefully the big Kaye classics like Kid From Brooklyn, Up in Arms and Wonder Man will soon follow (and I'd love The Court Jester on Blu-Ray as well, but at least you can get that one on DVD)!
"Half of the time we're gone and we don't know where."

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,780 posts

Posted December 30 2012 - 03:19 AM

Finally watched Hans Christian Anderson during my Christmas vacation.     Generally, it looked good.  A few shots were overly soft or blurry, particularly one of Hans (Danny Kaye) looking out from his jail cell at the little girl (prior to the song Thumbellina).   Was taken by surprise by the 1.37:1 aspect ratio.  I had forgotten about it, actually.  Took me back to all those years ago when I would watch this film on a B&W tube television.   Great to finally have this on Blu-ray.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users