Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

The Official HTF Cat Thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
636 replies to this topic

#221 of 637 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,264 posts

Posted January 13 2014 - 10:01 PM

On a drinking, but non-alcohol, related note, Domino, who has been refusing to drink water for over a year (we've been having to give him iv fluids every other day) suddenly began drinking water freely. What was the change? We filled his favorite water bowl with tap water. He had been refusing both bottled and filtered water all of this time, preferring to drink out of the toilet (we've kept the lid down for this entire time, as well, and still do).

I may have posted this before, but I had a cat who lived until he was 16 and never, ever drank a drop of water.

He only ate canned food, even though I got him at eight weeks, he never changed his habits. His sister loved dry food and would drink water as needed.

We had a little war where I tried to get him off canned food, but he went five days without anything, while his sister was happily living her life. I finally gave in, he won the battle and he lived the rest of his life on canned food, which has a lot of water, so he was fine not drinking water his entire life.

One of the coolest things he ever did, probably repeating myself here, but he was sitting on a bar stool watching me prepare dinner. A fly had gotten in and was buzzing around driving me crazy. The fly came at my cat at just the right angle and he literally just stuck up his paw like a baseball mitt, caught the fly and ate it. Totally amazing, wish I had caught it on video.

Stan

#222 of 637 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,232 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted January 14 2014 - 07:09 PM

The more you know! =phttp://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3UVw7cgv36A

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

UV Sales New Clarifications

#223 of 637 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,067 posts

Posted January 14 2014 - 11:45 PM

Hey Guys!

I haven't really participated in this thread much.  I do keep an eye on it as I am

subscribed.

The reason I am finally posting is that I had to put my cat to sleep a few days ago.

The cat's name was Pita.  A female, orange and white.  She was my baby.  

About 6 years ago she developed a film over one of her eyes.  Took her to the vet.

They said it could be all sorts of things including possibly cancer.  They gave me eye

drops.  The problem cleared up.  She was fine.

A few months ago, now at the age of 11-12, the film re-appeared.  It quickly got worse

to the point that one of her eyeballs looked like a cloudy marble.  She also started losing

quite a bit of weight very quickly.

Took Pita to the vet a month ago.  Spent $800 on tests and X-Ray.  They found nothing.

The vet warned me in advance that the tests are usually inconclusive, but she felt that 

the cat probably had cancer.  There was no tumor found behind the eye.

Pita just stopped eating.  I think she also had difficulty eating, so we even tried baby food.

This past week, when she began hiding (wanting to be by herself), I knew that the time had

come to put her down.  

You know, I so much wanted to be strong through this process.  Last thing I wanted was to

break down and cry in front of the veterinarian.  However, when the doctor walked in the room

and agreed that the cat's health was in rapid decline and she had to be put down, my face was

filled with tears.  

I didn't choose to stay in the room as they administered the injection.  I felt very guilty about

that.  However, I have been through this process before.  I have watched a vet put down another

cat I used to own, and I just couldn't watch them kill my baby.   As stupid as it sounds, it bothers

me that I wasn't there for her at the very end, but I was having a very difficult time keeping myself

composed through the entire process.

Easily, Pita and I could have had another 3 years or more together.  She was the best cat I ever

owned (and I have had many).  Extremely intelligent.  Very devoted to me.  She was with me all

the time either while I was sitting in my home theater, or sleeping in bed. 

I know I am with a group here that understands the attachment that one has to their pet.  I also

know all of you have been through this kind of grief at some point.  I have read some of your posts.

It's very sad that our pets have such a short life span and that we have to deal with these losses

several times over during our own lives.  

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#224 of 637 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,678 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted January 15 2014 - 07:08 AM

So sorry to hear about that Ron, my eyes are already welling up with tears for Pita. My three cats that I own are the first cats I have ever owned, having grown up somewhat allergic and having a sister who is still very allergic.  My cats are only about 6 years old so they're still relatively young but as a cat daddy, I already worry about "that time" knowing that I've really have gotten very attached to my cats.  All we can really do, as pet owners is to really believe that we have truly made our pet's lives a whole lot better and provided a happy home for them.  I almost feel like I have gotten more from my cats than vice versa. There are  people out there who would give away (or worse) pets with conditions so I hope you rest thinking that you've done your best for Pita and that she had a good life with you and you with her.

Jay 

You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#225 of 637 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,577 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 15 2014 - 08:39 AM

Ron:

Have no guilt about the decisions you make at the end of your cat's life.

You gave that animal many, many years of loving care--food water, medical, personal attention, love.  If, in the moment, you felt as if you couldn't handle the procedure, your uncertainty would have transferred to Pita.  Instead, she was calm and assured and peaceful. 

I always say that the reason these things hurt so much is because the bonds between animals and their owners are so strong. 

Humans are sometimes uncomfortable expressing the grief and the amount of the hurt that they feel when a pet dies.  But while people who have never had a pet might not understand, pet owners will.  And, as it is with humans, some separations hurt more than others...and it all depends upon the strength of the connection.  No guilt.  It just is what it is. 

Grieve.  But grieve with the knowledge that you took good care of each other and gave each other what was needed and wanted.  No regrets.  Death is just an inevitable part of life. 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#226 of 637 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,065 posts

Posted January 15 2014 - 11:15 AM

Very sorry for your loss, Ron.  To this day, and it's been half a year, I still think my cat is coming out of the back backroom and heading for his favorite spot in the living room.  The mind plays tricks on us, I can't help but think, it's to keep our memories of them alive.

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#227 of 637 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted January 15 2014 - 01:48 PM

Sorry for your loss, Ron.

#228 of 637 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,650 posts

Posted January 15 2014 - 02:19 PM

Sorry for your loss, Ron. I also would like to say that you did all you could do for Pita and that you should not feel bad about not being there for the injection. I've had times when I was there for it and times when I wasn't. In any case, I was a sobbing mess every time we had to put down a dog or cat (the last time we had to put down our dog, I called the vet to let them know we were bringing her in for the final time, and I could not even get out the words as I was sobbing so much. My wife had to take the phone from me and talk to them).

As Mike mentioned, you'll probably come across people who don't see what the big deal is that you lost a pet. That's their problem. Some people don't get how closely people bond with their pets. When our dog died in 2009, it was a couple of months after a friend of mine died. I didn't cry at my friend's funeral (came close), but wept uncontrollably when we put our dog down.

#229 of 637 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,232 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted January 15 2014 - 06:32 PM

Sorry to hear about Pita Ron. You can tell a lot about people by how they treat their pets, this is just one more example of what a good dude you are.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

UV Sales New Clarifications

#230 of 637 OFFLINE   Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,356 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted January 15 2014 - 06:54 PM

My condolences, Ron.

#231 of 637 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,534 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted January 16 2014 - 06:37 AM

Ron, I too am sorry for the passing of Pita.  This is a good place to talk about your feelings, since we all have strong and deep bonds with our pets.  Rather than thinking less of a person who would cry over an animal, I respect them more.  I'd rather feel the pain of their passing than never to have felt the joy of their presence.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#232 of 637 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,067 posts

Posted January 16 2014 - 09:58 AM

Gents,

Really appreciate the responses here.  You have made me feel better about the 

way I handled putting my cat down.

I knew this would be a good thread to speak openly and honestly about how we,

as pet owners, deal with loss.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#233 of 637 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,122 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted January 18 2014 - 06:43 PM

Very sorry to hear that. It's sadly something every pet owner goes through.

#234 of 637 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,122 posts

Posted January 18 2014 - 06:47 PM

Dash naps per Cat Union rules, but doesn't enjoy it.

#235 of 637 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,122 posts

Posted January 18 2014 - 06:51 PM

IMG_0873.jpg

IMG_0943.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg

Sometimes, they're like (loving) brothers.

When they're not stealing my milk!

#236 of 637 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,287 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted January 18 2014 - 07:42 PM

Gents,

The first time I had to have a cat put down, in 1971, I cried at the vet's office. The last time I had to have a cat put down, three years ago, I cried at the vet's office. It never gets easy.

Now I have five cats, the oldest are twin sisters who were born in 2010. The other three were kittens who took shelter (with their mom) in my garage during Hurricane Irene in 2011. After the storm I let them stay in the garage and when they got to be a few months old I took them to the vet and got them shots and treated for fleas. Once they were free of fleas I let them in the house and they've been here since. I got the mom spayed and she now lives with a neighbor across the street.

Rich Gallagher

#237 of 637 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,287 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted January 19 2014 - 04:18 PM

POPULAR

A couple of years I was looking at a photo of my kitten Pee-Wee in front of my computer monitor, when she hopped up and went to sleep in front of the monitor. I took out my camera and got this double photo of her.

Posted Image

Rich Gallagher

#238 of 637 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,065 posts

Posted January 19 2014 - 09:13 PM

Cat-ception!

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#239 of 637 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,122 posts

Posted January 21 2014 - 08:09 PM

That's super cute!

#240 of 637 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,264 posts

Posted January 21 2014 - 08:36 PM

Gents,

Ron, I know how tough it can be. The first cat I ever had needed to be put down after 16+ years of very healthy living. I had just moved to a new house and my vet was 30 miles away. Went to a new vet about 1/2 mile from home, well recommended, but the vet who ran it needed a partner. We ended up seeing her, but my cat was literally the first animal she had to put down as a patient, not a lab experiment. We were both incredibly emotional, something I'll never forget.

I've been going to the same office ever since.

-------------------------------------

BTW David, love the pictures of the two kitties together. Had a brother/sister pair of Siamese who did the same thing. Sadly the brother became ill at four years of age, nobody could figure out what was happening and he passed away. Still have his sister, she's probably 15+ years now, but still doing great.

Her entire personality changed after her brother died. They used to lay out in the sun, play in the yard, try and catch birds, etc. Ever since he passed away, she is strictly a house cat, maybe once or twice a year she may go outside in perfect weather, but I think cats have a long memory and she misses her brother.

Stan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users