Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Twilight Time announces Blu-ray releases March/April 2013

Twilight Time

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
358 replies to this topic

#21 of 359 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,336 posts

Posted December 12 2012 - 04:44 PM

Barrie, the end of the film shows them in Rome at the service and then ends with the buy war bonds. We are lucky this is going to Twilight. I have purchased many of their films and never once have I been upset.

#22 of 359 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 2,202 posts

Posted December 12 2012 - 10:27 PM

For Foxs own blu rays, they mostly announced black and white films, and so far I can't see the pint of buying hi def black and white.
I have quite a few black and white movies on Blu-ray and they all look good. Obviously some are better than others, but not one is a dud. When done properly, black and white can look superb in high definition.

#23 of 359 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,560 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted December 12 2012 - 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin9 /t/325955/twilight-time-announces-blu-ray-releases-march-april-2013#post_4013146 I have quite a few black and white movies on Blu-ray and they all look good. Obviously some are better than others, but not one is a dud. When done properly, black and white can look superb in high definition.
  Agreed. Just the larger breadth of gray scale they can use in HD alone can be incredibly impressive.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#24 of 359 OFFLINE   PaulaJ

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor

• 586 posts

Posted December 13 2012 - 06:34 AM

Are there larger versions of the artwork available anywhere? Especially looking for Major Dundee.
PaulaJ

#25 of 359 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,336 posts

Posted December 13 2012 - 10:56 AM

I just thought I would let fans of The Song OF Bernadette know that the soundtrack to the movie is still available at Amazon. The music as fans of the film know is by the great Alfred Newman. The book the film is based on is also at Amazon. The book as they say is a great read. The back story to the film is what I enjoy. The story is very much Casablanca for real. The Author of Bernadette is wanted by the Nazis and has already been declared dead. He and his wife refuge to Lourdes during the fall of France. He learns Bernadette’s story as he states it and swears if he can get to America he will write her song. http://www.amazon.co...g of bernadette http://www.amazon.co...g of bernadette

#26 of 359 OFFLINE   noel aguirre

noel aguirre

Stunt Coordinator

• 131 posts

Posted December 15 2012 - 10:11 PM

Both Lost Horizon and Our Man Flint have the extra features ported from the previous DVD. The extras on TT pretty much depend on whether the previous DVD had them. It's not that important really since the majority of studio releases don't make additional new feature for the blu-ray release much these days (the recent Hitchcock and Bond collections being pretty good examples.)
Lost Horizon's Blu-ray has the isolated score which is an extra the DVD did not have.

#27 of 359 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted December 15 2012 - 11:42 PM

Lost Horizon's Blu-ray has the isolated score which is an extra the DVD did not have.
True, though they're pretty much expected in all of the TT releases at this point.

#28 of 359 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted December 16 2012 - 06:01 AM

Im getting the Fury and Christine, I just hope Christine has the extras that the special edition DVD had. Id love a TT "special edition "edition. I heard the commentary is being ported over

#29 of 359 OFFLINE   AlanP

AlanP

Supporting Actor

• 786 posts

Posted December 16 2012 - 01:20 PM

Prices too steep from TWILIGHT TIME for me !!!!

#30 of 359 OFFLINE   AlanP

AlanP

Supporting Actor

• 786 posts

Posted December 16 2012 - 01:20 PM

Prices too steep from TWILIGHT TIME for me !!!!

#31 of 359 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted December 16 2012 - 01:25 PM

Does no one remember what laserdiscs cost back in the day?

#32 of 359 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,823 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 16 2012 - 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tannehill /t/325955/twilight-time-announces-blu-ray-releases-march-april-2013/30#post_4014456 Does no one remember what laserdiscs cost back in the day?
What does that have to do with some BD releases being too expensive for some budgets?  Which doesn't apply to me because I'll buy at least two of these releases, but I can understand how others might have a plateau for their pricepoint.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#33 of 359 OFFLINE   noel aguirre

noel aguirre

Stunt Coordinator

• 131 posts

Posted December 16 2012 - 01:56 PM

True, though they're pretty much expected in all of the TT releases at this point.
For any musical - that's a big extra - especially when you factor in the sound quality upgrade.

#34 of 359 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted December 16 2012 - 02:21 PM

What does that have to do with some BD releases being too expensive for some budgets?  Which doesn't apply to me because I'll buy at least two of these releases, but I can understand how others might have a plateau for their pricepoint.
As a laserdisc and home theater enthusiast, I remember when discs averaged $40 or more and a $500 player was cheap. $30 blu-rays don't phase me, nor should they anyone else, especially for a boutique label that releases specialty titles.

#35 of 359 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,823 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 16 2012 - 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tannehill /t/325955/twilight-time-announces-blu-ray-releases-march-april-2013/30#post_4014482 As a laserdisc and home theater enthusiast, I remember when discs averaged $40 or more and a $500 player was cheap. $30 blu-rays don't phase me, nor should they anyone else, especially for a boutique label that releases specialty titles.
I'm not in the position to judge for others on what may fit their budget versus my own discretionary funds for such blu-rays.             Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#36 of 359 OFFLINE   Eastmancolor

Eastmancolor

Stunt Coordinator

• 162 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted December 16 2012 - 02:42 PM

Does no one remember what laserdiscs cost back in the day?
Agreed. A $30 Blu-ray doesn't phase me in the least. As a collector of 16mm films for decades, I've spent anywhere from $200-$1000 for a print of one movie. In the laserdisc days $40-$50 for one film was the norm. Would I like to be able to pay $9.95 for every DVD and Blu-ray? Sure, but that's impractical and if they were all that price, you can bet the studios would walk away from them as profits would be slim. Now we get Blu-rays that (in many cases) can even blow away the quality of film prints, so I'm an avid supporter of Twilight Time and the other labels. Also with physical media not selling as well as it used to, I want to do all I can to support it so that we can continue to be able to buy discs for years to come.

#37 of 359 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,482 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted December 16 2012 - 03:18 PM

Comparing the price of TT discs with laserdiscs? This is a wholly new argument that I've never seen before that just *might* change the way that I, and 1000s others, view their rather radical business model. Repeat it again, 10 or 20 times, and I may just grasp it.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#38 of 359 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,516 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted December 16 2012 - 03:26 PM

You know what? If their discs were ten bucks you'd read (not on this board so much) how people were waiting for them to hit the five dollar bins. No one can point out that a title has been successful because it was at a cheaper price point, and Twilight Time titles are reaching the audience to whom they are targeted. Some sell out, some do well but don't sell out, and some don't do well at all - it's the nature of the beast no matter WHAT the price point.

#39 of 359 OFFLINE   MichaelEl

MichaelEl

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted December 16 2012 - 05:12 PM

I don't have a problem with the price point so much as the limited availability. Criterion Blu-Rays are also expensive, but you don't have to rush to buy them on the release date because they are continuously in stock at Amazon and other online outlets. I'm sure there are many fans of NOTLD '90, FRIGHT NIGHT, MYSTERIOUS ISLAND, and JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH who would've bought the Blu-Ray but couldn't afford it in the limited time frame they were available.

#40 of 359 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted December 16 2012 - 06:15 PM

$30 is just fine, though it obvious depends on the individual and the title in question. There are some titles I passed on because I'm not a big fan of the particular movie and would only pay half as much. That said, I have picked up the vast majority, including those at $35 and the $40 The Egyptian. Very pleased $30 is the new standard for new releases.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Twilight Time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users