Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

PHE Press Release: Samson and Delilah

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 of 35 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,461 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted March 04 2013 - 10:39 AM

Passed by the local Wal-Mart DVD section today and their Easter DVD display had SAMSON AND DELILAH right next to Ten Commandments, The Greatest Story Ever Told, Ben-Hur and various other religious themed titles.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#22 of 35 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,461 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted March 04 2013 - 01:40 PM

Friend tells me that there are zero extras, not even a trailer, which is on my laser disc. It does have an overture and exit music. He says it looks exceptional. I'm going to still wait for a Blu.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#23 of 35 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,461 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted March 04 2013 - 01:48 PM

They missed the boat by not having Angela Lansbury and Russ Tamblyn do a commentary.

#24 of 35 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,536 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 04 2013 - 02:15 PM

And Angela had some funny things to say about DeMille in her Private Screenings interview on TCM.

#25 of 35 WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 894 posts

Posted March 05 2013 - 10:35 AM

dvdizzy.com has a review up for 'samson'---- screencaps look spectacular!! http://www.dvdizzy.c...anddelilah.html

Can't wait!

#26 of 35 marcco00

marcco00

Stunt Coordinator

• 167 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted March 05 2013 - 02:13 PM

firstly- thanx guys for the heads-up that walmart is already selling this title! i went to my local walmart (6 miles) and found that easter dvd displayer-- which was pretty demolished, almost empty- so those titles are selling well! i was able to get the LAST samson and delilah dvd on the rack! the transfer i would give it 2 notches below perfect. the images are on the dark side and tend to have a brownish cast-- quite similar to the dvd cover image. however i have boosted the brightness and contrast on my tv monitor to compensate for this & it helps. the flesh tones look pretty good and the jewels and fabrics are eye-popping. lamarr's peacock costume in the final sequence has really changed-- the green of those feathers really stand out- this will be quite a treat on blu ray!!

#27 of 35 Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 5,994 posts

Posted March 06 2013 - 05:41 AM

I just got to my local Walmart as well, and they too had a "ravaged" Easter Section. Unfortunately, there were NO copies left of SAMSON AND DELILAH.. (and no more BEN-HUR nor TEN COMMANDMENTS) . Just goes to show you that there's little truth to the rumors that "nobody wants to own physical media anymore" or that "old catalogue titles on DVD do not sell and must be relegated to MOD".

#28 of 35 Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 5,994 posts

Posted March 06 2013 - 07:57 AM

Whew, what an experience! Talk about "the thrill of the hunt!" . I had to go to FOUR area Walmarts before I was able to find one that had any copies of SAMSON AND DELILAH left (they had three left). The shelves were mostly low on or out of the other religious titles too, but one store had 15 copies of BEN-HUR left, just to give you some idea of how many each rack holds and how many copies of S&D were quickly sold. Under normal circumstances, I would never go through such trouble unless it was a favorite movie that I had to have immediately (S&D is not one), but this time it became a matter of determination after awhile.

#29 of 35 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,925 posts

Posted March 06 2013 - 08:23 AM

I phoned my Walmarts which told me nothing doing until next week. You guys are sure lucky!!

#30 of 35 WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 894 posts

Posted March 06 2013 - 09:02 AM

Whew, what an experience! Talk about "the thrill of the hunt!" . I had to go to FOUR area Walmarts before I was able to find one that had any copies of SAMSON AND DELILAH left (they had three left). The shelves were mostly low on or out of the other religious titles too, but one store had 15 copies of BEN-HUR left, just to give you some idea of how many each rack holds and how many copies of S&D were quickly sold. Under normal circumstances, I would never go through such trouble unless it was a favorite movie that I had to have immediately (S&D is not one), but this time it became a matter of determination after awhile.

I've NEVER had good luck going on a hunt for films at Walmart in these situations. If I tried, I would wind up spending all night driving to various Walmarts with a good chance of coming home empty. Glad you finally got a copy!

#31 of 35 philip*eric

philip*eric

Agent

• 41 posts

Posted March 06 2013 - 09:25 AM

Paramount really is not doing right by this classic -- the 20 year laserdisc had trailers and an isolated music and effects track -- and the dvd is bare bones . Why?? A possible Lansbury/ Tamlyn commentary track with a DeMille scholar would be so easy to do but these Paramont producers do not care enough to do anything. I refuse to buy this -- I'll rent it from a library -- maybe a BR will appear with a few extras but I wont hold my breath.

#32 of 35 Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann

Supporting Actor

• 513 posts

Posted March 06 2013 - 09:50 AM

I'm on the sidelines with this one, too. On one hand, I'm delighted to have this film in ANY decent form at all, but on the other, I'm not looking forward to dumping a standard DVD that I will try to sell to my local Amoeba store for penny's on the dollar once and if a BD becomes available. Seems a bit of a cheap shot from Paramount, really. Thank God they didn't stoop to these shenanigans when they released WINGS. They may just have underestimated the number of doddering old dinosaurs like me who actually live in the 21st Century and prefer blu-rays of classic films. I just hope they nix with the ageist insult and announce a BD release SOON!

#33 of 35 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,925 posts

Posted March 06 2013 - 09:54 AM

I have it!!! The sticker states 2/13 on the front. How long has Walmart had these? I looked last week at Easter Movies and did not see it. How often does this happen with a title coming out before street date? Well with just a few calls I found it in the second of the 5 around me and they had only one left. I sure hope it comes out in blu-ray. I can always give my copy away as a Christmas or Easter gift next year. Thanks Mychal and thanks Allen and everyone else. I asked Walmart and they said "we do get movies in early once in awhile" was the answer I received. I think this movie must of come out around middle of the month as Mychal suggested. I still cannot get over it. I use the phone before I pay gas.

#34 of 35 marcco00

marcco00

Stunt Coordinator

• 167 posts

Posted March 06 2013 - 09:55 PM

after a number of viewings, i have to say this transfer is spectacular! images are rock solid, not a single scratch or speck of dirt anywhere- i can see now that on my vhs tape the transfer was washed out somewhat--- this dvd transfer is like watching a new film! i made some major changes to my tv settings--like changing color temp to cool & setting the contrast at 100!-- but OMG does that technicolor pop now! i hate to keep gushing, but hedy in that peacock costume---what rich, vibrant colors--- turquoise, gold, emerald greens, blues, silver, pinks, purples just glittering away--- wow what eye candy!!--- one doesn't know what to look at first, she is so dazzling!! i have NO DOUBT this is coming out on blu ray-- this transfer is too damn fantastic for just a SD release! and thank you paramount-- i have all of the '50's-'60's biblical/historical epics in my dvd collection, and NOW i have 'the jewel in the crown', the one that started the craze, the first, the best-- my favorite biblical epic--- !!!!!SAMSON AND DELILAH!!!!

#35 of 35 marcco00

marcco00

Stunt Coordinator

• 167 posts

Posted March 10 2013 - 02:49 PM

dvd talk review up! http://www.dvdtalk.c...samson-delilah/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users