Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

LFE effect in the Dark Knight Rises

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   sm8224

sm8224

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted December 08 2012 - 12:49 PM

I have a question...My home theater set up is good, and the sub works great...shakes the walls and house when I want it too. For the new Batman movie, I really had my hopes up for the bass, and when I watched it, i was less than impressed. I just figured they must have laid back a bit in the mixing. But looking online and from what I hear, the bass is supposed to be the best ever. I had watched the Dark Knight prior to watching Rises and the sub was working great. When I put Rises in, it was almost non-existant. What could the problem be? Bad DVD possibly? anyone else have similar issues? My setup consists of a Yamaha RXV2500 with 5.1 surrond using Klipsch speakers and sub. I am at a loss and would really love for the bass to be there making the movie that much better. thanks in advance. Steve

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,536 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted December 08 2012 - 12:53 PM

Hi, Steve, welcome to HTF! I watched The Dark Knight Rises on blu-ray last night, and had to reduce the volume in consideration of the neighbors the bass was so high. Are you talking of the blu-ray or the DVD? If you are talking of the DVD, perhaps it is not mastered up to the standard set by the blu-ray.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted December 08 2012 - 12:59 PM

Maybe the majority of the bass frequencies are lower than the Klipsch sub that you have. You don't mention the model number of the sub so we can't really check to see what Klipsch says the low limits are. That is one reason I use a sealed sub and an amp with no subsonic filter.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   sm8224

sm8224

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted December 08 2012 - 01:00 PM

I bought the DVD and not the blu-ray, as I figured blu-ray would not have any different audio. I tried the DVD on my Denon system as well and nothing. Is it possible to have a poorly mastered DVD? I mean when the Bat was flying I expected the house to be falling down. And honestly nothing. Was like there was no LFE at all. Just normal bass. It pretty much ruined the movie for me. I honestly thought that my sub had died. So to test I put the previous Batman in and it was working as it should

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   sm8224

sm8224

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted December 08 2012 - 01:01 PM

Sub is a model RW-10

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,536 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted December 08 2012 - 01:06 PM

The DVD is lossy (probably 384Kbps Dolby Digital in this case). The Blu-ray is lossless DTS-HD Master Audio. So there is a difference in the audio codec. Now we've all heard Dolby Digital sound good. So maybe it's something else.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   sm8224

sm8224

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted December 08 2012 - 01:16 PM

My other movies are all DVD, and the bass sounds great. I just can't see it not being there at all. It sucks too since the movie is open already. I'd like to try and take it back and get te blu-ray now and see of its better. But I don't think Walmart will take it back. I really think the audio track is missing on this DVD. My luck.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   sm8224

sm8224

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted December 09 2012 - 05:09 AM

Ok, update. I took the DVD back and picked up the blu-ray. Huge difference in audio. I had no idea. I have never run into this issue before until this movie. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users