What's new

New TV, no headphone jacks, big problem (1 Viewer)

EHouston

Auditioning
Real Name
Edie Houston
I recently purchased a new HD TV (my first) and got it home only to find out it had no headphone jacks. This wasn't stated on the package and I assumed that all new televisions had them because my old (10 years old non-HD) had them. I, unfortunately, live in a housing complex where headphones are required by my lease. I tried to return the tv to the store but, because it was a pre-Christmas sale, I cannot return the set. I love the picture but I am now left without a television unless I can figure out a way to connect headphones. The set is an Emerson LC320EM3F. While there is no headphone connection there is a single "Digital Audio Output" jack which I assume is to connect to a Audio System (which I am also not allowed). There are also red and white Audio Input Jacks. Is there any kind of adapter that might allow me to connect headphones. I would love to have a television but I don't want to have to move. I can't afford it right now.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Welcome to HTF!
I'm surprised you can not return the set. It would be for the pre-Christmas sale price, of course.
And there is no reason you can not get an audio system if you use headphones with it. Right?

EHouston

Auditioning
Real Name
Edie Houston
Right, I just have to find a cheap enough audio system that I can plug headphones into.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
You could probably use something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Stereo-Female-Y-Cable-6-Inch/dp/B000I23TTE/ref=pd_sim_e_5
But I'm not sure the TV volume control will work with the headphones, so you may also want this:
http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Stereo-Female-Y-Cable-6-Inch/dp/B000I23TTE/ref=pd_sim_e_5
Sale price or not, you should be able to return the TV. I suggest you find someone big and snarly and try again.
I also can't believe you're not allowed to use normal TV volume. Are you sure you aren't being sold a bill of goods on that front?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Some headphones have a volume slider on them. Get a pair of those, along with the adapter Al listed above and you should be fine.

EHouston

Auditioning
Real Name
Edie Houston
Nope, it is in my lease that all musical and video appliances must be headphones.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Nope, it is in my lease that all musical and video appliances must be headphones
Wow, that's unbelievably controlling.
And here I mock homeowners associations for mandating white curtain backing and white Christmas lights.
Does the landlord live close by? I say run a leaf blower all day until he's ready to renegotiate.

EHouston

Auditioning
Real Name
Edie Houston
No, it's a huge apartment complex and managed by a property management company. I should say It is one of many complexes they take care of and yes, the regulations are brutal.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A lot of the wireless headphones have to plug into a line out jack and the volume control is on one of the ear pieces.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I looked at the specs, and one of the big problems is this TV only has a coax digital audio output, no analog.

You may want to consider buying an inexpensive HT receiver (Denon has an entry-level for about $199). The other option would be to find a HTIB that has a coax digital audio input and a headphone jack.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Digital to analog converter $36 - http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=180-997
Wireless headphones from $15 to $400 - http://www.parts-express.com/cat/headphones/116?kg=807|5288

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks